Bulldoginsfl

Oct 10, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Hi. At times I have noticed a very nasty smell by ebd has and I keep him clean. I clean his face 2 x a day as well as his tail pocket and even his butt after he poops. The other day I came home and I could smell this terrible smell. I thought he had pooped or vomited inside and I went around looking all over for where he did whatever he did but could not find feces nor vomit so after a few I got up close to him and I noticed it was his backside area and now know it was his anal glands. I watched a few videos on you tube ( great place to learn) and now went out and bought disposable gloves and K-W jelly. They say the best way is to insert your finger up to about the first knuckle and squeeze the pea sized gland at 4 O clock and 8 O clock and to do it in the bathtub because it can be messy. I have been reluctant to do this before because I am afraid if I start to do it- it is something I will have to continue to do for the rest of his life. My question is should I do it and if I do, will I have to continue to do it? The smell has only happened a few times in his 2 and a half year life. One time in my truck when we were on the way to a pet expo.. Thanks everyone.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
here is an article if you want to teach yourself how to do them, but i usually go to a groomer or make a vet tech appointment when it is needed. some dogs just are not able to obtain enough pressure when having a bowel movement to get the glands expressed enough to empty them. if not done they can become infected, so it is best that when you smell the odor, that either you or someone helps him along. there are a couple members that have to have their bully done every 6 wks or so
English Bulldog News Forums - Anal Gland Care - Everything you need to know!!

OP
B

Bulldoginsfl

Oct 10, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Thanks for the input 2BullyMama, I wish I could afford the luxury of being able to have my vet do it but between his health insurance. Food. Pedicures . Toys ect. I cannot. I pay his health insurance which covers 90 percent of all illness's accidents ect with no payout limit ( $112.00) monthly but for his heart worm preventatives ( rabies. 5 way. fecals) I take him to a non profit for my insurance doesn't cover preventative med's or vaccinations. I did do it myself that first time and low and behold he has been stink free ( Thank God) so I think I am going to do it unless something happens and he gets an infection. I wish I could do his nails and even went out and purchased a dremel tool but I do not have a grooming table and most of the the time no one is here to help me hold him so I just take him to Pet smart. Thank you

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks for the input 2BullyMama, I wish I could afford the luxury of being able to have my vet do it but between his health insurance. Food. Pedicures . Toys ect. I cannot. I pay his health insurance which covers 90 percent of all illness's accidents ect with no payout limit ( $112.00) monthly but for his heart worm preventatives ( rabies. 5 way. fecals) I take him to a non profit for my insurance doesn't cover preventative med's or vaccinations. I did do it myself that first time and low and behold he has been stink free ( Thank God) so I think I am going to do it unless something happens and he gets an infection. I wish I could do his nails and even went out and purchased a dremel tool but I do not have a grooming table and most of the the time no one is here to help me hold him so I just take him to Pet smart. Thank you

I get it... Bulldogs are very high maintenance. What you can do is just ask the vet office what the price is for expression of glands, also call places like PetSmart they do it to. I think [MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] takes her boy Vegas to them and it is about $17.00 every 6 wks

OP
B

Bulldoginsfl

Oct 10, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Wow That's not bad. My vet , even to look at Buddy is a $45.00 office visit but they do have a grooming part there as well. I am going to call them today in a few and check out what it costs for teeth cleaning too. You know I have never cleaned Buddy's teeth. My brother and his wife have an Australian shepherd and they brush their dogs teeth. Buddy does have plenty of rawhide bones ( only in my presence under supervision) to help but he is 2 years and 7 months now and I really need to do something as far as his teeth. I will ask my vet today regarding the anal glands as well as the teeth. Thank you.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wow That's not bad. My vet , even to look at Buddy is a $45.00 office visit but they do have a grooming part there as well. I am going to call them today in a few and check out what it costs for teeth cleaning too. You know I have never cleaned Buddy's teeth. My brother and his wife have an Australian shepherd and they brush their dogs teeth. Buddy does have plenty of rawhide bones ( only in my presence under supervision) to help but he is 2 years and 7 months now and I really need to do something as far as his teeth. I will ask my vet today regarding the anal glands as well as the teeth. Thank you.

Get antlers... deer or elk, Nylabones or Kong toys they will help keep the teeth clean. They are pricey but will last for months if not a couple years. Get rid of the rawhide, even under supervison they are a chocking hazzard for bullies due to the structure of the throat and airway, they splinter and little pieces get stuck in the narrow trachea. Also, a teeth cleaning is expensive and needs sedation to have it completed... this should only be necessary in later years unless the pup has issues.

OP
B

Bulldoginsfl

Oct 10, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
I didn't know that. Buddy's teeth are white and fine as much as I can tell but I thought they had to be cleaned on occasion and YES one of my neighbors lil dog died under sedation from a vet down the road from me. Thanks

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Hi it's KMARINO, lol. Yes I do have to take Vegas average 6-8 weeks to get his anals done. The Vet tech does them not the vet so therefore I pay $17. Our vet also charges $48 an office visit. The great thing is my hubby has learned to do them thanks to [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION]'s video on this site. 7 times out of 10 he can get them. If not, were off to the vet. Vegas will be 6 in March and has had to have this done since he was 1. Vegas loves antler's and chews on them frequently, we have no dental problems what so ever, yet!! lol

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Kelly, I just had to do Jack again this evening. I did his two weeks ago as well. The smell makes the hubby gag. Guess I have an iron nose and stomach cause I just go in and do them and that's that. :hmm: [MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION]

OP
B

Bulldoginsfl

Oct 10, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Thanks everyone. Buddy is now 2 years, 8 months. One of my biggest fears is that if I start doing this ( anal glands) I will continue to have to do it. It has probably been 4 or 5 times that he smelled like that. I did end up doing it myself once and I was successful. The vet who does the teeth cleaning was SUPPOSED to call me yesterday with a quote but never did. We're beginning our tourist season now so ( impossible to drive at times) they are probably slammed with business. I will call back today. Thanks everyone.

KMARINO

Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
[MENTION=11470]bulldog[/MENTION]sinfl . what part of Fl. do you live in? I live in Bradenton. Our roads are impossible too right now with all the snow birds.

KMARINO

Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Thanks everyone. Buddy is now 2 years, 8 months. One of my biggest fears is that if I start doing this ( anal glands) I will continue to have to do it. It has probably been 4 or 5 times that he smelled like that. I did end up doing it myself once and I was successful. The vet who does the teeth cleaning was SUPPOSED to call me yesterday with a quote but never did. We're beginning our tourist season now so ( impossible to drive at times) they are probably slammed with business. I will call back today. Thanks everyone.

What part of Fl do you live in? I live in Bradenton and the roads are full here too with all the snow birds.??

OP
B

Bulldoginsfl

Oct 10, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Hi and Thanks I USED to live over there in Sarasota for 30 years but now I am in Delray Beach which is the East Coast. I know there is a good bulldog vet in Sarasota and also north of you near Lakeland.

OliviaB

Feb 18, 2015
Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Belle
I've worked for two vets so I got really good at expressing anal glands. Fortunately our groomer includes it in the cost of Belle's bath so I won't have to worry about it. It's not hard to do...it just really stinks and not something I would want to do in my house. If you ever get glands that are very hard or difficult to express make sure you let a vet take a look. Sometimes they can get infected and it's not something you want to deal with on your own.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.