JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
Has anyone here ever used it?
I'm having a struggle with Ruthie's ears. She loathes having them cleaned and the solution i was using just seemed a bit too harsh for her. Personally I love Burt's Bees products but I haven't used their dog line yet. her ears are red and so itchy, they aren't infected. I'm pretty sure it's just allergy related right now. I'm trying to find something soothing for them. Any suggestions?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
If they are red and itchy I would be using panalog ointment after washing really good with ear cleaner. Panalog is an rx though, do you have some on hand?

I haven't tried any of their products yet. May be worth trying as I'm guessing they use natural remedies rather than chemical?

OP
JennieS

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
If they are red and itchy I would be using panalog ointment after washing really good with ear cleaner. Panalog is an rx though, do you have some on hand?
No, I don't. Do you think i should just take her to the vet?

Usually with a good cleaning they clear right up.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Lol I edited my post above before you got to read it.

OP
JennieS

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names

I haven't tried any of their products yet. May be worth trying as I'm guessing they use natural remedies rather than chemical?
that's what i was thinking. I don't like to use a lot of chemicals on her. the reviews i read were good. Those other solutions are just too harsh for her sweet little ears. lol

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
that's what i was thinking. I don't like to use a lot of chemicals on her. the reviews i read were good. Those other solutions are just too harsh for her sweet little ears. lol
I have so much trouble with Brutus' ears. He is always getting ear infections. I try to clean his ears but he hates it and it is a bad struggle. It usually entails one persons distracting with treats and another trying to squirt the stuff in his ears. Any suggestions on how you do it if Ruthie hates it too?

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I just had to clean the boys' ears yesterday and they too HATE it. I suprise them with it...hiding the bottle of cleaner behind my back and as I'm cuddling them, SQUIRT! It's not always successful tho as they'll shake about 50% of the solution out of their ears before any can be absorbed, I'm sure.

The stuff I'm using is from the vet's...i believe it's an Rx only type; will get the name when i go home tonight but it's something to flush out their ears every so often, loosens up dirt and wax.

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I just had to clean the boys' ears yesterday and they too HATE it. I suprise them with it...hiding the bottle of cleaner behind my back and as I'm cuddling them, SQUIRT! It's not always successful tho as they'll shake about 50% of the solution out of their ears before any can be absorbed, I'm sure.

The stuff I'm using is from the vet's...i believe it's an Rx only type; will get the name when i go home tonight but it's something to flush out their ears every so often, loosens up dirt and wax.
I think that is what i'm using also. it's from the vet also.

OP
JennieS

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I have so much trouble with Brutus' ears. He is always getting ear infections. I try to clean his ears but he hates it and it is a bad struggle. It usually entails one persons distracting with treats and another trying to squirt the stuff in his ears. Any suggestions on how you do it if Ruthie hates it too?

Half the time i have to put Ruthie in a choke hold LOL. I sit her between my legs and squeeze her tight, with her back towards me. That goes a little bit easier with her not facing me. I can really see in her ears and hold her head back. She can't move her body but her head goes all wiggly. I don't squirt anything in her ears because all hell will break loose, she is NOT a fan of that. I have to put it all on a cotton ball and while i'm doing one ear, i'm rubbing the other so she kind of associates the cleaning with ear rubbins.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Half the time i have to put Ruthie in a choke hold LOL. I sit her between my legs and squeeze her tight, with her back towards me. That goes a little bit easier with her not facing me. I can really see in her ears and hold her head back. She can't move her body but her head goes all wiggly. I don't squirt anything in her ears because all hell will break loose, she is NOT a fan of that. I have to put it all on a cotton ball and while i'm doing one ear, i'm rubbing the other so she kind of associates the cleaning with ear rubbins.

Jennie, I know, the squirting part is what gets them the most; but i really do not know if putting the stuff on a cotton ball is as effective, at least w/the solution i am using. I was told to instill into the ear when I was at the vet's office and of course, they make it look so easy and the vet techs do it very swiftly and with minimal problems from the bullies. Yet when I do it, all hell breaks loose here too; yesterday Tate spent around 5 minutes deconstructing the sofa of all its cushions b/c he was rubbing his face into it trying to get the medication out. I did give them one cookie each afterwards though.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I just use witch hazel.. a little squirt with some treats as a distraction. Cheli hates any part of him being clean and Banks is not found of the ear cleaning but treats always work

OP
JennieS

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jennie, I know, the squirting part is what gets them the most; but i really do not know if putting the stuff on a cotton ball is as effective, at least w/the solution i am using. I was told to instill into the ear when I was at the vet's office and of course, they make it look so easy and the vet techs do it very swiftly and with minimal problems from the bullies. Yet when I do it, all hell breaks loose here too; yesterday Tate spent around 5 minutes deconstructing the sofa of all its cushions b/c he was rubbing his face into it trying to get the medication out. I did give them one cookie each afterwards though.

Yeah the vets are so skilled and for some reason they sit still for the vet, but when it's me....they move and shake LOL. I know the cotton ball isnt the best, but i do try to saturate it so atleast some of it drips in there while i'm cleaning.

Hahahaha Tate "get if off me mom, get it OOOOFFFFFFFF"

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=9205]JennieS[/MENTION] [MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION] I think it's called Eti-Otic, we try to clean Busts ears once a month.

Be careful not to sniff a certain white bullies ear to close, may get a bit agitated. :yikes::heart:

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Be careful not to sniff a certain white bullies ear to close, may get a bit agitated. :yikes::heart:

hmmm...i wonder if that had something to do with Tate's naughty behavior yesterday? b/c i cleaned his ear that a.m. and Mr.Buster got a little too close for comfort sniffing that clean ear of his! poor Buster. :boxing:

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I think Brutus associates his ear cleanings with pain now because he so often has an infection that he gets snarly if we don't trick him. I sometime wait for him to fall asleep and his ear is tilting up and I just try to sneak attack squirt him!! lol. That only works for one ear though because then he is on the attack!

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online