Weekly hygiene

Bulldoginsfl

Oct 10, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Hi I bathe my dog once a week. I use a generic shampoo ( Oatmeal) from Wal mart. Each week I clean his ears. tail pocket and face with something called Malacetic octic . He HATES it. I have a little ear suction device ( rubber) and fill it up and squirt it in his ears and tail pocket ( his tail pocket is tight ) Then I use q-tips to clean his tail pocket until no more hair comes out or the q-tips are clean ( many q-tips ) I also take a wash cloth with Malacetic and go over all those areas on his face. After, he runs around diving into the floor ect. Before I forget I do clean his face. tail pocket and belly as well 2 times daily ( in the morning and before bed ) with 2 face clothes one wet and one dry a lil warm water on one.My question is I buy Malacetic octic online from Amazon and I buy it in the 16 oz plastic bottle. With shipping it is about $ 25.00 and I go through one in about 2 months or less. I am wondering and I have seen ppl here mention apple cider vinegar recipes and am wondering is there a less costly way to do this? This Malacetic does do a good job and drys on its own after he shakes his head but this cost can add up along with other things and I am just wondering if anyone has a less costly way of keeping him clean and yeast free. Thanks

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
TheACV is one way, I use witch hazel for regular cleaning. Also, bathing once a week is a lot, can strip the natural oils.... My guys get a bath as needed, but at most 3x a year

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi we bath our guys twice a month, every other weekend. I use the Petsmart brand of shampoo ( Puppy Tearless Formula, with Chamomile and Oatmeal). It smells like baby powder, and is tearless so won't hurt the eyes. My guys don't have a tail pocket, so don't have to deal with that. I would continue to clean his tail pocket on a regular basis, I'm not sure how often you have to do it, as I have never had to do it. I clean their faces, ears and eyes with unscented sensitive baby wipes twice a week, but they also don't have deep ropes. When they are in the bath, I wash them with the Petsmart shampoo, then use a facecloth with shampoo on it and wash their faces, ears, and eyes, and then rinse them. I do a second rinse with warm water and regular white vinegar ( from the grocery store), you don't need to use apple cider vinegar for rinsing, cleaning or soaking. Save the ACV for their drinking water or their kibble. It's too expensive to use for rinsing after a bath.
You don't need to clean his ears every week, I clean my guys ears once a month, but I do use the baby wipes to clean the outer parts of his ears in between cleanings. You can also use witch hazel as others have mentioned.

OP
B

Bulldoginsfl

Oct 10, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Thx I thought there was something. I do have to clean Buddys ears weekly. His ears develop a smell. I can't really describe it but it is dirty. I never go inside his ears with a q tip although my first vet used to. It is hard enough to hold him while I squirt in the Malacetic and when I squirt it in his tail pocket he literally wines. He hates being cleaned but after a bit of running around and rolling on the floor he is a happy camper again. I had heard not to bath too frequently and didn't know if once a week is too much or not. I will try bathing him every 2 weeks but I know I should still do his ears and tail pocket. Thx everyone

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Does he have some skin problems, so you have to bathe him so often? A lot of times skin problems are caused by food that doesn't suit the dog and you can wash a dog too much. Their skin has natural protective oils and too much washing washes that away and that can cause problems. I wash my bullies 3-4 times a year (feet more often) and of course if they get dirty, but they have no skin problems and they don't smell at all.

OP
B

Bulldoginsfl

Oct 10, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Thx . I do not KNOW that he has skin problems but he DOES scratch and quite a bit at times when we go outdoors. I always thought it was something in the Florida grass. He sneezes at times as well. When I take him to the doggy park one of the first things he does is get a running start and slide on the grass. I don't know if his coat is bothering him or he is just happy to be there. I bathe him once a week because his ears get that stinkiness to them and also he can really get dirty at times. He is like a pig when it comes to mud. If there is any mud ( because of recent rain) Buddy will go over and get it on him. There are water hose's at the park ( with very little water pressure) that I just wash him off but I guess I just am in the habit of bathing him each week. I will pay more attention to his ears and tail pocket now instead of shampooing his coat each week. Also the $25.00 every 2 months for Malacetic I am trying to save doesn't sound like a lot I know but I also pay pet smart to do his nails . there is his food. toys. health insurance. it adds up. Thx everyone

Last edited:

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Sounds like something in his food is giving him the itchies and yeastie ears. What are you feeding him? As for the malacetic solution $12.50 a month isn't that bad but you can also order a gallon of Chlorohexidine from Amazon for roughly $25 and make your own solution and wipes.

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
Rather than squirt in the ear med try using cotton balls to clean his ears...imagine that awful feeling of having liquid squirted into your ear...ugh no wonder he hates it. There was a video on youtube showing ear cleaning and he did with a cotton ball so I started that method and Nigel will lay his down and let me do it. He hated the squirting too. We also use the witch hazel for cleaning and the chlorhexadine for hot spots and the ear med for nose ropes.

OP
B

Bulldoginsfl

Oct 10, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Thx everyone I will read up on the Chlorohexidine . I squirt it in his ears because it isn't just the inside of his ears that are dirty. It is way down too far down that I don't even feel comfortable inserting a q tip. My first vet used to do this but I found by squirting it in and rubbing the sides of his ears to keep them closed so it doesn't just run on it works way in an does a good job. I feed Buddy Fromms 4 star one of the grain free varietys. At times I may switch him over to Taste of the Wild in their grain free as well. Thanks everyone.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.