Tail Pocket Cleaning

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
Hi everyone, we clean Barkley's tail pocket once a day using either all-natural dog grooming wipes or witch hazel. This morning he started turning around and constantly licking/snapping at his butt. It was really bothering him and he was getting really worked up. The last time he acted like that he had very full anal glands and had them emptied but that was only about 6 weeks ago.

So I took him to the vet to see if his anal glands needed emptied again but they said they didn't feel full. They said his tail pocket was red and smelled a little yeasty so they sent us home with some Duoxo pads to clean it out a few times a week.

Barkley was acting better at the vet and in the car but after we got home and I cleaned his pocket with the pads, he started going crazy again. Is there anything else that anyone can recommend to help him feel better faster? I feel so bad for him, I know he just feels miserable and itchy the way he is acting :(

Also, do I just let the area air dry after cleaning with the Duoxo pads or should I wipe dry with a tissue? It seemed pretty pretty wet after wiping but I didn't know if they dried well like witch hazel does or not.

Thanks for any advice!! :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Is the pocket swollen at all? Banks does this when her allergies are in high gear and I give her Benedryl to help lessen the swelling in the area from her allergies.
Also, I think the duoxo dries on it's own like the witch hazel.

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
Is the pocket swollen at all? Banks does this when her allergies are in high gear and I give her Benedryl to help lessen the swelling in the area from her allergies.
Also, I think the duoxo dries on it's own like the witch hazel.

Hmmm I'm not sure....He has a pretty tight corkscrew tail so it's hard for me to see much at all. That's a good idea though about the benadryl, I'll try giving him some and see if that helps. He has been messing with his paws some too, so I guess it could be due to allergies. Thanks!! :)

Jul 24, 2014
illinos
Bulldog(s) Names
sophia
my Sophie has a very tight tight cork screw tail and very deep tail pocket so she too is prone to irritation there. after cleaning real good I use diaper rash cream and just smear it in as thick as i can. that seems to work for sophie.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
The medicine in the wipes may sting a bit, especially if it's raw. Like using alcohol on a cut. After the medicine in the Douxo starts working and the inflammation goes down hopefully he will feel better.

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
The medicine in the wipes may sting a bit, especially if it's raw. Like using alcohol on a cut. After the medicine in the Douxo starts working and the inflammation goes down hopefully he will feel better.

How long do you think it should take to start working? I used the pads once on Friday and once yesterday but it's still bothering him. He seemed better most of yesterday but then when I used the wipe last night it got worse and all last night and this morning he has been turning around and licking toward his butt :(

I've been giving him some Benadryl too but it doesn't really seem to be helping. I feel so bad for him :( if he's not better by tomorrow I'll call the vet and see if they can recommend anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
How long do you think it should take to start working? I used the pads once on Friday and once yesterday but it's still bothering him. He seemed better most of yesterday but then when I used the wipe last night it got worse and all last night and this morning he has been turning around and licking toward his butt :(

I've been giving him some Benadryl too but it doesn't really seem to be helping. I feel so bad for him :( if he's not better by tomorrow I'll call the vet and see if they can recommend anything else.

Poor baby! Maybe call the vet and ask for some panalog ointment instead. It comes in more than one brand, other types are animax, Entederm.... this is what I use if I find icky stuff in the pocket.

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
Poor baby! Maybe call the vet and ask for some panalog ointment instead. It comes in more than one brand, other types are animax, Entederm.... this is what I use if I find icky stuff in the pocket.

Thank you! I will definitely call them and see about that!!

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
Here is a video of what he's been doing. I'm a little nervous because it looks like some of the fly biting/star gazing seizure videos I've seen on here. It just started out of nowhere though the other day but he's been doing it constantly. He is responsive most of the time while he's doing it.

Does anyone think I should be worried it could possibly be seizures or just his tail pocket bothering him like the vet said??

https://vimeo.com/109405418

minibull

Sep 4, 2014
Midwestern USA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buttercup
Here is a video of what he's been doing. I'm a little nervous because it looks like some of the fly biting/star gazing seizure videos I've seen on here. It just started out of nowhere though the other day but he's been doing it constantly. He is responsive most of the time while he's doing it.

Does anyone think I should be worried it could possibly be seizures or just his tail pocket bothering him like the vet said??

Curious if Barkley has demonstrated any more behavior that looks like this. Did you figure out the cause? Hope Barkley's tail pocket is healed and that he is back to normal!

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
Curious if Barkley has demonstrated any more behavior that looks like this. Did you figure out the cause? Hope Barkley's tail pocket is healed and that he is back to normal!

I actually started another thread for this:

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/your-bulldog-s-health/41556-seizure.html

He's been doing better now, only licking a couple times a day and only for a few seconds. I stopped giving him the medicine as well. I think he is pretty much back to normal now!! Thanks for checking in :)

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Blue has a very tight screw tail. I need to clean it at least once a week to keep it from getting yeasty. Any wipes that aren't self drying shouldn't be used as it will only cause yeast.

Douxo pads aren't medicine, I get them from amazon. Recently I switched to something a little stronger with 4% Chlorohexidine as opposed to the 3% that Douxo has.

It's great to hear that he's doing better, but I can't stress enough how easy those pockets get yeasty and infected, especially now during allergy season. It's something we really
need to stay on top of.

CocoCMom

Nov 10, 2014
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
Coco
Can anyone tell me how much money they spent when they amputated their dogs tail? Thank you!

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I'd have to look again, but I think it was around $800 or $900 for us. I know I was shocked when I found out that I spent a lot less than some people.

Most Reactions

Members online