Medication Amounts

Christian1971

Sep 2, 2014
Minnesota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Josie, Zoey
My Josie does not appear to have any joint issues yet. But I would like to prevent them.
What product would you (if at all) recommend?
In regards to giving Benadryl for allergies, what is the dosage amount you give? Is it adult or children's Benadryl?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Many members use either NuVet or Hardypet joint supplements.

As for Benedryl... it is 1mg per pound up to 3x a day. You can also try/use Zyrtec or Claritin... 1 pill per day --- [MENTION=7457]Blueberrys Mom[/MENTION] is that right? I always forget the Claritin/Zyrtec dose

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Claritin is 10mg every 24 hours, for a bulldog around 60 lbs. It must be the normal Claritin, NOT Claritin-D and it must be UNFLAVORED.

For Zyrtec I can't remember. Only used it once. [MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] knows I think.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Another joint supplement I'd like to recommend is Cosequin DS for joints. It came highly recommended from my vet and I know she uses it for her own pets.
She did say though that's it pointless to give joint supplements to puppies since it doesn't help.
She explained why but I can't remember :ashamed:. Said to wait until they're about a year old.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
That's interesting [MENTION=7457]Blueberrys Mom[/MENTION], my vet said the earlier you start them on joint supplements the better....?

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
That's interesting @Blueberrys Mom, my vet said the earlier you start them on joint supplements the better....?

Another example of vets disagreeing..lol..

I wish I could remember why exactly. But the gist of it was it doesn't help their joints when they're that young. I'm going to preface everything by "In my vets opinion" from now on..lol.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Another example of vets disagreeing..lol..

I wish I could remember why exactly. But the gist of it was it doesn't help their joints when they're that young. I'm going to preface everything by "In my vets opinion" from now on..lol.

So true! I have two vets I use and love but I swear they never give the same advice. Both are older and have been around the block so their knowledge is great. One is holistic and one is not-- will give totally different answers to the same question.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.