Tear and water stains on coat.

eriesisgod

Jul 6, 2014
Feeding pure balance grain free bison and pea. Skin, ears, and stool all seem fine. Our chihuahua has had bad tear stains even with multiple types of foods and it shows up a lot due to his white hair. Our bully (4 months old) has a little staining in the crease that goes from her eye to her chin, under her chin from when she drinks water, and on her neck right in front where water gets under her collar (snobbery baby bully lol).

Any natural remedies that actually work? Or any safe products I can buy?

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
We clean ours with wet cloth and dry afterwards twice a day
And once a week witch hazel and dry afterwards -so far no stains for 17 months x

Edit -we also wipe dry chins after drinking ;-)

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
We do what Pati does with the witch hazel and also use duoxo pads, the combo really works. I'm a firm believer that salmon oil and yogurt prevents alot of issues as well.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I do the exact same as Pati.... Witch hazel on cotton pad and wipe chin after drinking

Cookies Mama

Jun 13, 2014
michigan
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
cookie
my girl is almost 1 on dec 2nd and has horrible wet eye on top and bottom of the white side of her face and it always is wet. can anyone help me. im so desperate this just seems to be horrible and it looks so rusty colored. I used desitine sorry about sp and I have washed her face daily. it dont seem to help. can anyone give me any tips or what is going on. She is currently on nutri source pro performance. thank you for any help

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
my girl is almost 1 on dec 2nd and has horrible wet eye on top and bottom of the white side of her face and it always is wet. can anyone help me. im so desperate this just seems to be horrible and it looks so rusty colored. I used desitine sorry about sp and I have washed her face daily. it dont seem to help. can anyone give me any tips or what is going on. She is currently on nutri source pro performance. thank you for any help

What flavor food? I know a lot of bulldogs are allergic to chicken. Is it grain-free? That helped a bunch with our bulldog's allergies to start feeding kibble that is grain-free. Often times just finding the right food can help immensely with allergies.
You might also try wiping down with with a pad with witch hazel every couple of days.

Another thought is that if she tends to close that one eye, she might have an eyelash that is bothering her. It is very common in bulldogs.

Caldy315

Apr 16, 2013
Minnesota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
We are having trouble with Winstons as of late. We recently moved in September and he was on Fromm pork and peas then. When we moved to our new place everything was the same for him other than the water. He started to get tear stains when he didn't prior. It's mostly on the right side and sometimes there is some goop.
We've gone as far as to get water from the old place but that doesn't seem to help. We've only had a gallon at a time but find it odd that this happens once we moved. What are some remedies? I see the mentioned above and will see if I can fid witch hazel locally.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417893870.689529.jpg

Jan 12, 2014
McAllen, TX
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
ACE (The Bathound)
We are having trouble with Winstons as of late. We recently moved in September and he was on Fromm pork and peas then. When we moved to our new place everything was the same for him other than the water. He started to get tear stains when he didn't prior. It's mostly on the right side and sometimes there is some goop.
We've gone as far as to get water from the old place but that doesn't seem to help. We've only had a gallon at a time but find it odd that this happens once we moved. What are some remedies? I see the mentioned above and will see if I can fid witch hazel locally.

View attachment 81415

That is exactly how Ace looks and I'm pinning it that every food he has been on has had potatoes in it. It recently got worse when I switched to merrick pork and sweet potatoes. I started off really well with FROMMS beef frittata, then Started developing eye stains. It's been pork and peas, and now merrick. I just ordered FROMMS lamb and lentil limited ingredients. This has no potato so hope that helps. I'm about to order duoxo pads as well.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Just want to throw this out there as well. While food is one of the top causes of allergies and tear stains tap water can cause it as well. If your water is very hard the over abundance of minerals can cause tear stains and allergic reactions. Oir water is very hard and if Harlea drinks it unfiltered she gets tear stains and itchy as we have higher than normal but still within EPA limits concentrations of iron and sulpher in our water.

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Just want to throw this out there as well. While food is one of the top causes of allergies and tear stains tap water can cause it as well. If your water is very hard the over abundance of minerals can cause tear stains and allergic reactions. Oir water is very hard and if Harlea drinks it unfiltered she gets tear stains and itchy as we have higher than normal but still within EPA limits concentrations of iron and sulpher in our water.

That is so true! We were just giving Frank tap water, then switched to filtered water and his tear stains got much better! They didn't completely go away but just changing his water to filtered made a big difference.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Give them some Greek yogurt with breakfast and dinner. It cured both No-no's and Vegas's tear stains. Let me know if you want to see photos. Vegas had a horrible chin stain from drinking water. He no longer does

Sheena

Community Veteran
May 18, 2013
Northwest Indiana
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
Give them some Greek yogurt with breakfast and dinner. It cured both No-no's and Vegas's tear stains. Let me know if you want to see photos. Vegas had a horrible chin stain from drinking water. He no longer does

That's good to know!! I usually give it to Daisy once a day. Ill try twice now :)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.