Fleas

Utley

Jul 12, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Utley and Bella
Has anyone's EB gotten flea's before and if so how did you get rid of them. I think our EB's got them from when we went camping. They are both up to date with their monthly flea medicine. We bought a flea spray for the camper and it says we can spray it directly on the dogs too, but I am hesitant to do this. Would a flea bath be better and can we do this since they both get the monthly flea medicine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
I have a homemade flea shampoo recipe that i saw online and actually shared it here. I can tell you it works. I made it yesterday for Bifi and gave him a bath with it. The fleas (i killed about 3) really just came out of his fur dead. The big one was still alive when i got it. I dunno, though, how it works with ticks but it worked very well with fleas. On the plus side it's very economical and safer than most flea shampoos on the market.

1 cup Dawn, 1 cup vinegar, and 1 quart of warm water. Massage in and let it sit for five minutes. According to one testimonial, “The fleas just floated in the water and died and best of all little Libby did not have any reactions at all to the process.”

I also wipe him down with water-vinegar solution and that really helps as tick repellent.

Kevikell

Jun 9, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
Bridgette, Maybull & Heidi ('03-15)
I've never had a flea problem but I read somewhere that just bathing can help get them off regardless of the shampoo. I worry about using flea products and their consequences on a dogs long term health. I used to put K9 Advantix on my dogs but only during the warmest months and even then I alternated every other month. I actually haven't used anything this year...knock on wood.

We took a recent trip to the mountains to walk around the waterfalls. There are tons of ticks up there and we usually come home with them every time-luckily just crawling on us and not attached. This time I sprayed Apple Cider Vinegar all over the dogs and our legs and we had no ticks this time. It won't kill the fleas/ticks but it can help to repel them. You could try spraying that on your dogs coat or using it as an after bath rinse to see if it will help get rid of them since they don't like the smell. Essential oils are supposed to help as well but again I don't think they kill the pests and just repel them. I haven't used the oils but they look promising as a natural alternative to conventional flea medications.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
You can bathe them with dawn, and it will get the fleas off-and usually kill them. It does not, however keep them from getting more fleas. You can also use diatomeceous eacrth-food grade.

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
You can bathe them with dawn, and it will get the fleas off-and usually kill them. It does not, however keep them from getting more fleas. You can also use diatomeceous eacrth-food grade.

I forgot about DE. We don't have it here, (i mean food grade) otherwise i would've used that instead. It's supposed to kill fleas and ticks and other bugs in contact. It's non-toxic and cheaper.

OP
Utley

Utley

Jul 12, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Utley and Bella
Does it matter what kind of viniger?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
It is probably white vinegar-but the dawn alone will also work.

michaelsbroly

Nov 20, 2015
Hempstead, Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Broly

What is diatomeceous earth-food grade? and how would you use it on your EB?

thanks,

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Diatomeceous earth is finely ground fossils. It takes the oils out offleas and shell-bugs, and they die(such as fleas). It will not hurt if they eat it(the dogs) and sometimes I sprinkle it on them, and on all their beds. I have wood/tile floors,so it looks dusty,but it also gets in the cracks,so it's good! the other type is to sprinkle around outdoors You can get it in most feed stores.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.