Excessive licking of the paws

Gordosmom1212

Aug 11, 2013
Pflugerville, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Magnum (EB), Delta (EB), Gracie (EB), Zoey (FB), Pebbles (FB), Prada (FB)
I noticed blood on the carpet so of course I had to investigate. Gordo licked his paw so raw that it started bleeding. I was going to put some socks on his paws with a hair tie but was worried about cutting off his circulation. How do you prevent your bully from licking their paws??

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Do you know why Gordo has been licking his paws raw? maybe he has a wound on his paw or an insect bite? is this a new symptom? Try to find the cause first and remedy that if at all possible.

OP
Gordosmom1212

Gordosmom1212

Aug 11, 2013
Pflugerville, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Do you know why Gordo has been licking his paws raw? maybe he has a wound on his paw or an insect bite? is this a new symptom? Try to find the cause first and remedy that if at all possible.
It's allergies, I have been consistent on wiping every time he comes back in.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Okay, so with allergies lots of things to consider: food--maybe a switch is in order. Or environmental..the grass he's running around on causing the allergies? You can give him some benadryl or loratadine (claritin) to help.

OP
Gordosmom1212

Gordosmom1212

Aug 11, 2013
Pflugerville, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Okay, so with allergies lots of things to consider: food--maybe a switch is in order. Or environmental..the grass he's running around on causing the allergies? You can give him some benadryl or loratadine (claritin) to help.
Yeah it's definitely grass allergies

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, if its definitely allergies to grass, then wiping his paws will help, but maybe instead of putting socks on him inside, you can buy him some doggie boots for when he's outside, that way he'll be with you and you can see if he takes them off in case he eats or chews them. Also Benadryl will help with the symptoms as well. At least this is only a seasonal thing, and should calm down in the Fall and Winter.

OP
Gordosmom1212

Gordosmom1212

Aug 11, 2013
Pflugerville, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hi, if its definitely allergies to grass, then wiping his paws will help, but maybe instead of putting socks on him inside, you can buy him some doggie boots for when he's outside, that way he'll be with you and you can see if he takes them off in case he eats or chews them. Also Benadryl will help with the symptoms as well. At least this is only a seasonal thing, and should calm down in the Fall and Winter.
Hi thanks. I do all of that already besides the boots because I know he will not walk in those haha he is stubborn

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
Foot soaks when he comes in will help tremendously. Also give him some Benadryl to help relieve the itching now. My Ram had these issues. It's manageable but a huge PITA

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Does Gordo have reddish brown stains on his paws or under his paw pads?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Gordosmom1212

Gordosmom1212

Aug 11, 2013
Pflugerville, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Foot soaks when he comes in will help tremendously. Also give him some Benadryl to help relieve the itching now. My Ram had these issues. It's manageable but a huge PITA
Thank you, I am going to go give him a bath now.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Exactly what we have to do for Banks... She is allergic to all things green

Most Reactions