Eye wrinkle

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
I'm having trouble with Henry's eye wrinkles. He has tears all the time. I don't mind this. I think it's seasonal allergies. The problem is that when I wipe them they get so red and irritated. I've used wipes and witch hazel and the both irritate him really bad. I used diluted white vinegar last night. He wasn't near as red this morning. I'm sure I read that someone else used this before. I pour it on him after his bath so I think it's safe. Does anyone have a suggestion for me? I have struggled with his tears irritating his face all along but just realized the products I use have made it worse. I've got his food figured out. He eats orijen regional. He gets no irritation anywhere else. His tears get a little worse when we mow. I'm sure it's the grass. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 185

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob
I'm not sure if this helps but when Goob's eyes are super runny, we dry them all day long and all night long just with a tissue. We also wipe his feet with baby wipes after he gets through outside. That way, if grass or pollen are on his pads, we clean it off before he comes in the house.

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
If Ruckus's wrinkles start to get a little extra wet or red, I use duoxo wipes (with chlorexidine). He doesn't love it, but he tolerates it, and it helps a lot. On a daily basis I use Bamboo Eco Eye Wipes by Petkin and that keeps him clean and dry.

OP
Roseann

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=7373]g8erjackie[/MENTION] Where do you get the duoxo wipes?

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
@g8erjackie Where do you get the duoxo wipes?

I buy them on Amazon. The price fluctuates a bit, but is generally about $10 for a small tub of pads. The active ingredient is chlorexidine, a disenfectant cleanser. My mom is a nurse and recently got me bottles of it (chlorexidine) so I've started diluting it a little and using cotton balls to apply it. Works just as well as the duoxo wipes and it's cheaper. I looked and it seems like they sell bulk chlorexidine on amazon, but it's a different concentration (and color....) than what my mom got for me, so I couldn't speak to the quality of it, but I know some other members have mentioned buying straight chlorexidine also.

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
If it is seasonal allergies, you also might want to try giving him Benadryl. You can give them roughly 1mg/lb. Frank is 55 lbs and I give him two 25 mg pills in the morning and two pills right before bed. Also, it sounds crazy, but when we switched Frank to filtered water instead of tap water, his tear stains got a lot better.

OP
Roseann

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry only gets filtered water. I had read that so I started it early on. I've given him Benadryl and it does help. I just don't like to give it to him all the time.

- - - Updated - - -

Henry only gets filtered water. I had read that so I started it early on. I've given him Benadryl and it does help. I just don't like to give it to him all the time.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Wally has tear stains like this, and I know it's from his puppy kibble. I will switch him to grain free food in a month or two… My other bully Winston had this as well, and there are many tried/true ways to combat it.

I have use duoxo pads on Wally, but that wasn't working so well. Now I'm using witch hazel on a cotton ball, drying it very well and putting gold bond powder to keep the area dry. You need to VERY careful w/the powder so it doesn't get into the eye. You can feed them from a stainless steel bowl and give them filtered water. I will attach the thread on here so you can see what other members have used. Every bully is different…

This thread has more tips as well…http://www.englishbulldognews.com/c...d-of-these-tear-stains-on-my-English-Bulldog-!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
If the problem is definitely moisture, I would use a thin layer of diaper rash cream to act as a barrier. Clean then dry real good, then add the diaper rash cream. Note some creams are better that others. The desitin in the blue tube is not very sticky while the one in the purple tube is much thicker.

It would likely help to use Douxo wipes or malacetic otic on the area first.

Also with benedryl it takes a good day to get results you want so giving sporadically probably won't help much. If you are hesitant to give it all the time then I would recommend at least giving daily in the morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Roseann

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm so excited! Henry's eyes look better than ever! I've been drying his tears with a tissue and using diluted white vinegar for a quick clean and they are nearly perfect! Almost no redness. I hate it when I realize the problems he has are my fault. His poor red eyes wouldn't have been red at all if I would have used the right products. Thanks you all!

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
I'm so excited! Henry's eyes look better than ever! I've been drying his tears with a tissue and using diluted white vinegar for a quick clean and they are nearly perfect! Almost no redness. I hate it when I realize the problems he has are my fault. His poor red eyes wouldn't have been red at all if I would have used the right products. Thanks you all!

That is wonderful! And don't feel bad about trying to find the right fix. There is often so many reasons for issues with bulldogs and they can be so different, sometimes it takes a few tries. You are a great bulldog parent for caring so much! So glad that you found something that works for Henry!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
That is wonderful! And don't feel bad about trying to find the right fix. There is often so many reasons for issues with bulldogs and they can be so different, sometimes it takes a few tries. You are a great bulldog parent for caring so much! So glad that you found something that works for Henry!

Agreed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Roseann

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you [MENTION=1462]Biogirl71[/MENTION] and [MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION] I know I'm not the only one that wants the best for my baby and feels terrible when I screw up. I'm just thankful I figured something out!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.