Tail brushing

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
image.jpgI have noticed Henry has a lot of hair shedding on his tail. I brush him but just realized I don't brush his tail. I never thought of it I guess. He has a cork screw tail (I think) but it's not tight (I don't think) I'm still learning. I can run my fingers down his whole tail and where the tightest crook is I can still get to that spot pretty easy. He gets real squirmy when I mess with his tail like its sensitive. He doesn't like it but will tolerate it if I keep ahold of him and not let him go. I'm trying to figure out the best way to brush it. I tried several tight teeth combs this morning and nothing did any good except the furminator. It's a little hard to use on his tail but I managed ok. I was wondering if anyone has a good method for me to try. I'm ashamed to admit I brushed a small handful of hair just from his tail and I quit because he started to get upset. I don't want to hurt him or over do it. Hopefully someone has an idea! Thanks a bunch.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Banks is the same way -- does not like her tail area being messed wiht. So after I wipe her bum and clean the pocket, I just do a quick rub of the tail to remove loose fur. She fights the whole time, but it all has to be done... I do not use any brush or comb on the tail, just rub my hand over it

schimpfy

The yabba dabba do donkey swattin' broom swingin'
Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2014
Vancouver British Columbia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
sorry no help here as Chance is just getting used to be brushed, and tail is ticklish am interested in what advice you are / will be given.

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Frank has a tight corkscrew tail, so am not experienced with tail brushing. He does have a lot of shedding, but I have to stick my finger in his tail pocket to remove the excess hair by hand. It doesn't really bother him though.

Frank hates brushing but doesn't mind it if I use the Kong Zoom Groom. Maybe because the bristles are rubber and feel good? Am not sure but it doesn't take long to get excess hair off of him!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Most all dogs are sensitive about their tails. I would suggest using a softer brush to brush his tail. You could brush it last(duh) and give a treat when you are done-if needed,then he won't mind too much!

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I brush Vegas too, but he is super sensitive about the tail area, Thank goodness he only has about a 1 inch flap. I think between the cleaning of the pocket and having his anal glands done about every 4-5 weeks, he just don't want that area messed with.

Members online

No members online now.