Anyone used essential oils or other natural products for flea & tick repellent???

Kevikell

Jun 9, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
Bridgette, Maybull & Heidi ('03-15)
I've been researching natural ways to repel fleas & ticks & I keep finding articles on essential oils. Rose geranium seems to come up as a good tick repellent. I've also seen lemongrass, citronella, lavender, peppermint etc... as great bug repellants. Does anyone have experience with using essential oils and know whether or not they truly work?

I don't currently have a flea/tick problem but I do live in the south where it is warm and these pests thrive.

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
I've never used them for the dogs but would love to find out if others have. I am one of those people that the mosquitoes feast on, I'd love to find something for myself as well

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I use lemon/water mixture to repel fleas. Tank usually ends up with about one tick every summer though so I wouldn't say that it works for ticks as well.

tyree213

Nov 26, 2012
New Orleans
Bulldog(s) Names
Gilbert, Scarlet
Yes they def work...I dont use flea meds at all. When I bathe my dogs I add tea tree oil to the conditioner and rinse off. In between baths and when I take them somewhere, In a spray bottle combine Water, 10-15 drops Tea Tree Oil, Lemon Myrtle and Lavender and spray on your dog avoiding eyes, and private area. Fleas hate the smell!

OP
Kevikell

Kevikell

Jun 9, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
Bridgette, Maybull & Heidi ('03-15)
Thanks so much for the feedback. I don't want to use the flea/tick meds anymore and it's great to know that people have tried the natural products and it works. :yes:

tyree213

Nov 26, 2012
New Orleans
Bulldog(s) Names
Gilbert, Scarlet
I have a doggie door for mine so they can go outside as they please. I use diatomaceous earth on the lawn, its a natural powder that kills fleas and bugs (not earthworms). If you get this its very important to get the human grade and not pool grade. You can also use this to de-worm your dogs. Google it for more info.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Haven't tried it, but rosemary seems to work too. Another option I've read about is amber - the dog wears a string of amber beads around his neck.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.