Bath after surgery

chaygirl79

Mar 12, 2014
GA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel and Roxy
Diesel had his tail amputated 11 days ago. He also had his nostrils done. He is in a big need of a bath. He stinks and is all greasy when you touch him. I wash his face with a wash clothe daily but his body is just simply gross. Is there any product I can put on him or spray on him till I get an ok from the vet to give him a bath? I am am going back to the vet after the 22nd so I still have a week time but I am not sure I want to wait that long with a bath. He literally smells like a shelter dog :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I would not wash him so soon after surgery, but there is dry shampoos for dogs.
What are you feeding him? How often do you bathe your bullies? I wash mine 2-3 times a year and still they don't smell. A lot of times unsuitable, even high quality food, makes them smelly.
[h=1][/h]

OP
chaygirl79

chaygirl79

Mar 12, 2014
GA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel and Roxy
I have diesel just less then 2 months. When I got him the lady washed him once a week!!! She said she had allergies. But when I brought him to my vet he told me to wash him in medicated shampoo and let him sit in it for 15 min every 2 to 3 days. He had an infected tail and irritated feet .I gave him a bath two days before surgery so two weeks ago and he stinks. My other bully gets a bath every 4 to 6 weeks unless she needs more. My boxer in the other hand I bathe 4 times a year. I wonder if his coat is just used to have so many baths? Or is it because of all his wrinkles? I am not comfortable to give him a bath so soon but I had no idea about dry shampoo. Do you know what it the name of it? I just washed him with a washcloth all over his body and he was soooo loving it.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I don't use them, but there's plenty of brands to choose from. Just google dry shampoo dogs.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Be careful not to get any of the dry shampoo too close to his surgery areas. You could probably even mix some white vinegar and water, and wipe him down with that-being sure not to get it on surgical area.

OP
chaygirl79

chaygirl79

Mar 12, 2014
GA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel and Roxy
Oh I didn't know if there is any good and bad dry shampoos. Will have to check it out. And white vinegar with water? I might just do that. He really liked it when I washed him down with a washcloth in the morning but this didn't take the smell away. I am staying away from his surgical area. Actually the vet shaved him pretty far so I am just washing his fur and nothing what is shaved. I hope this will do the trick till the vet says ok for bath. But looking at his surgical area I know it will be probably another two weeks

OP
chaygirl79

chaygirl79

Mar 12, 2014
GA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel and Roxy
Oh and THANK YOU!

OP
chaygirl79

chaygirl79

Mar 12, 2014
GA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel and Roxy
Got it! Will try this out. I am going to wash his bedding also . I smell it even on my carpet now lol

marianne

May 17, 2012
WV
Bulldog(s) Names
Jenna
Got it! Will try this out. I am going to wash his bedding also . I smell it even on my carpet now lol

I keep a bottle on hand...it works to get the smell off but only lasts for a few days...I use it when it's to cold to bath or she got into something stinky...I got mine at the pet store...I think it would be ok to use until he can have a real bath...i also use the vinegar rinse and it makes her hair whiter & soft

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.