xxaprilrose

Community Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
NY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jovi
So a few weeks ago I had noticed dry blood on my bullys neck. Knowing her, I assumed it was because she scratches her neck ALL the time. We noticed this after the first time we put a collar on her that all she does is itch it. I am not sure if she is allergic to the collar or if it just drives her nuts. Anyways I think she scratched her neck up pretty bad. When we first got her you could tell they never clipped her nails so they were SHARP. Anyways still today the dry blood is there. And I have taken the collar off and she hasnt scratched ONCE. So that had to be the cause. But there is a LOT of dry blood. I have tried the baby wipes and warm water and nothing. Any suggestions? Also can I please have some suggestions on a good collar?

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Are you sure it's blood? Warm water should take it off. Try a wet cloth not really rung out. Maybe you need more water on it.

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
Peroxide. If it's blood it will bubble and get warm. Peroxide will take blood out of clothes too but typically it doesn't stick in fur after warm water or soap and water. Hmm .good luck

OP
xxaprilrose

xxaprilrose

Community Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
NY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jovi
here is a picture image (9).jpg

dozersmama

Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
Yep that's what it looks like. Unless it's really weird staining from the color. Also make sure it isn't still bleeding . I would leave the collar off until it heals if you can . At least while you are inside. None of my ebs wore collars inside their neck folds and wrinkles tend to have issues with collars. Try the peroxide see if it helps

OP
xxaprilrose

xxaprilrose

Community Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
NY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jovi
I just tried cleaning it with warm water and some puppy shampoo and some came off but it is still pretty dark. She pretty much has had it so I cant keep doing it lolbut yes it is healed. and I do have the collar removed. After I too that 3 days ago when I showed my bf I took it right off. She only wore it sat when she went for her shots. Maybe I should give her a bath sometime today and see if that helps any. And I will also try the peroxide. When I saw it a few weeks ago honestly i thought it would heal itself and just go away and then i noticed it a few days ago again and i took the collar off thinking again it would just fade away but it hasnt so i came here for some tips. Ill try the peroxide later today and also a bath if that doesnt work and ill keep you guys updated! thanks for the help!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
How to Clean Blood From Dog Fur

by Sarah Dray

Time for a bath and a clean-up.

Whether Rufus injured himself or he injured somebody else, the result might be the same: blood all around. Fresh blood is relatively easy to clean off a dog's fur -- just give Rufus a bath and it will wash away as you rinse. Dry blood is a bit trickier to get rid of, but certainly not impossible. Have a question? Get an answer from a Vet now.

Check Doggie for cuts and to see where the blood is coming from. Is it possible that the blood is not hers? This will change the way you deal with the blood -- if Doggie is hurt, you don't want to clean too close to the injury and risk pain or restarting the bleeding.

Wet a thin towel or cloth with warm water. Rub the area with the blood stain and see how much comes out. Remember to rub gently if you're working around a cut or an injured area.

Wet the cloth in hydrogen peroxide if water alone doesn't work. Peroxide is commonly used to clean blood stains from linens and clothing because of how effective it is -- plus it has the added benefit of being a germicidal agent. If Doggie has a cut near where the blood is, cleaning it with peroxide could help it heal.

Use a jumbo size cotton swab to clean the blood if it's sitting near the wound. Simply wet the cotton swab with warm water or peroxide and rub the dry blood. This is safer than using a towel if you're working around a wound, since you can control more easily where you're touching.

BodiesMom

Feb 18, 2014
Eastern NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bodie
Is it possible that yur baby is allergic to the metal on the collar? Also, how does she reach to scratch that area? My Bodie can only reach his lower shoulder and chin...we tried a collar when Bodie was a puppy, but he, too, didn't like it and would constantly try getting it off. Now, he doesn't wear anything inside or even when he goes out to peepee potty,(fenced backyard and he won't leave the front yard!), but when we take him anywhere we use a harness, it doesn't rest on his throat area and u have better control over him. Plus it has a loop on top so he can be buckled into a seatbelt! You never know when an accident can occur and I want my bully to be belted in just like my kids are!! For the dried blood, I'd do as others have suggested, peroxide and then a warm bath! We've had to deal with LOTS of blood/dried blood over the last 4 years w/Bodie. He had a prolapsed urethra, twice, and there was blood EVERYWHERE, not only in the house, but from Bodies mid-section and all the way to his back toes, and he's all white! He was basically all brown and in some spots black from the blood, there was just too much blood, too quickly and too often to keep up with...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:ponder: I would go collar-less for a while . See if there is any change

OP
xxaprilrose

xxaprilrose

Community Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
NY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jovi
thanks for all the replies guys! Yeah I am going to get her a harness and only use that for walks and keep her off the collar. As far as the dry blood I did try the peroxide on it and it didnt help. So my last choice is to give her a bath so maybe I will do that tomorrow and see what happens. I swear it has stained her fur which I dont understand. It only makes sense though that it is blood. It certinly looks like it was blood however I NEVER remember seeing any blood drip off her or it wet and bloody when it happened. So I am unsure. But I dont see it being anything else. I do know for a fact she scratches that area like crazy and as I said before when we first got her her nails were very sharp and we did apply the collar at that time before clipping her nails. It is under her neck so she can reach it fine.

dozersmama

Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
Maybe the collar has caused a hot spots . Id she is scratching it like crazy. Although usually the staining around hot spots is combo blood and saliva and I doubt she could lick that. If it were me I would give her a benedryll is she is scratching it like crazy leave the collar off and try to keep ot clean and dry without irritating it . I wouldn't worry about the staining so much as the under lying issue. Also if her nails are sharp after they are trimmed dremmel them or have them dremmelled

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
That looks like yeast area to me… Winston would get this around his collar as well. I would remove the collar while he is home, and try to keep his neck dry after drinking water. You would try using filtered water, some people have had luck w/that as well. I changed Winston's food and that seemed to help a lot.

OP
xxaprilrose

xxaprilrose

Community Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
NY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jovi
That looks like yeast area to me… Winston would get this around his collar as well. I would remove the collar while he is home, and try to keep his neck dry after drinking water. You would try using filtered water, some people have had luck w/that as well. I changed Winston's food and that seemed to help a lot.

How else could I correct this if its yeast? or how would i know for sure? I will switch over to filtered water and see if it helps. I am feeding her fromms. should i change that? or maybe her treats?

OP
xxaprilrose

xxaprilrose

Community Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
NY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jovi
Maybe the collar has caused a hot spots . Id she is scratching it like crazy. Although usually the staining around hot spots is combo blood and saliva and I doubt she could lick that. If it were me I would give her a benedryll is she is scratching it like crazy leave the collar off and try to keep ot clean and dry without irritating it . I wouldn't worry about the staining so much as the under lying issue. Also if her nails are sharp after they are trimmed dremmel them or have them dremmelled

ive never heard of this. how would i know if it is? And ever since the collar has been off she only scratches once in awhile. when she is sleeping on her back i always check the spot out and it doesnt look like there is any scab underneath but it could have healed since this has happened weeks ago. but i have noticed (although i am not 100% sure it wasnt like this before) that the hair is a little shorter than her fur, kind of like its balding in a way but yet its not bald. I wish i could explain it without confusing anybody but im confused myself.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Hmm..if peroxide isn't getting it out, i'm doubting it's blood.
Could it be the the pink from the collar running into the fur? It almost looks pink around the fur edges.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.