The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Ok. This is an odd one that I am curious about. Let me set this up a bit. Yesterday I took Harlea to the puppy spa for her monthly pampering and when we walked in I saw another beautiful bully being papered which is not out of the norm for us to see. However, the groomer was shaving this bully like you would a dog with long fur. Now I know you shave areas that have skin infections/irritations or surgical areas, but there was nothing wrong with this beautiful girl he was working with as the owners had just requested it done and she really looked fabulous when he was done with her. So has anyone else seen this or had their bully shaved when they didn't have a medical reason? Is there any reason to even consider doing this?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Odd, yes, but I've seen it done. Used to work at a dog day are/training/grooming facility and there was a couple that shaved their bully and golden retriever each summer for each time. Another person shaved their lab because it was less shedding

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Their hair is so small as it is, I don't really see why anyone would do it. Harlea's got it good being pampered once a month at a spa like that. Lucky girl!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
I've never seen a bulldog get shaved, but I know my vet would freak out -- some friends had their Jack Russell shave one summer and (we go to the same vet) - he went beserk. The Vet said that it can be very dangerous because of sun burn and in the winter...cold.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
This is just a guess-but I'll be they have him shaved so it curtails his shedding-less hair around the house.For their benefit-not his.:yes:

B

Baxter Tiberius

Yep. They are thinking about themselves. They don't want to have to brush him for a few months, basically.

And I would be extremely concerned about sunburn. Especially with how much they love to sunbathe.

Then again its winter, so that's probably their thinking...

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I've never seen a bulldog get shaved, but I know my vet would freak out -- some friends had their Jack Russell shave one summer and (we go to the same vet) - he went beserk. The Vet said that it can be very dangerous because of sun burn and in the winter...cold.

I agree… I can't imagine why this would be a benefit to any bulldog except the owner!!!

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
Chum gets a little manscaping every once in a while cause the ladies seem to like it.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
We give our labs a slight shave in the summer only because it makes them feel better. I don't shave them down to skin though. I just get the top coat off. You cannot see the skin. I would never consider doing this in the winter as this is their only defense against the cold. I would never consider doing this to Brutus or Frankie. We pick our dogs and we consider all aspects of care and up keep of them before we get them. With bullies we all know a good brushing and the vacuum is our best friend.

MARY BARNES

Aug 27, 2013
Country
CANADA
Bulldog(s) Names
ELLIE 2013-2017....Rocky RIP (2005-2013)
Lets give them the benefit of the doubt....They may have a child with allergies ......May be the only way they can keep their
Bully is to get rid of the fur..,,, I would have asked the owner....Bully owners love to talk about their fur-babies,,,,

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Perhaps [MENTION=7260]Chumley[/MENTION] had some tips from his Dad???:rolleyes:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.