How and when to glue ears?

jpresley

Sep 2, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Finnegan
Hi. I'm wanting to glue back my puppy's ears and was looking for some direction on how best to do it. My puppy is also about 16 weeks so older than the suggested age. If anyone can help me with this I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Why would you glue them? , hes still young probably teething too ,ears will go in all directions before finally setting :-)
Besides have you ever tried to remove the glue from the ears? (Not a nice experience for a pup and human)

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I agree with Pati, why would you glue your puppies ears? Is there a reason you want to do this? I have never heard of gluing a dogs ears, I have heard of cropping the ears, but have heard this is very painful for the dog.

Last edited:

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
I'm totally clueless when it comes to things like that, I thought that method is for dogs with ears standing up...:ashamed: if that's the case I think maybe doing it on a bulldog will cause you problems as the ears are there to protect the inside of the ear:unsure: But, well I really don't know:blush2: Just wanted to say hi and welcome:)

Pati Robins

Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Petra not only -i done it on pits as well (well not my but my stupid ex done it when i was at work!)
Once the bloody thing didn't want to come off -and -well we had to peel it -it look awful!!
I dont recommend anyone to glue the ears-just for the sake of it ,so the dog can look prettier in owner eyes

asimpson

Jun 20, 2011
Edgewood, Kentucky
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cassius aka "Cash"
I think ur puppy is so precious. They grow so fast enjoy while he is this size. I say all the time that I wish my Cassius was still a little bitty thing... lol I have never heard of glueing bulldogs ears before. Is it like clipping them to look like doberman dogs ears? Now I'm curious as to what it means when u say glue your dogs ears??? :) what is ur bulldogs name?

Pati Robins

Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Gluing ears -is gluing ears to help them set into desired shape (like bulldogs should have)

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Oh [MENTION=9105]Pati Robins[/MENTION], see I'm clueless:blush2: thanks for filling me in:) I'd personally never do it unless it's a medical condition, but I can understand if it's done to puppies who's parents are champions and they're going to be on shows and stuff. I don't really care about things like that, I know my bulldogs aren't perfect, but to me they are:heart:

traceylynn172

May 23, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver ,Maui, Cupcake ,Winter, EEyore, Piglet, Roo and Hana
Hi. I'm wanting to glue back my puppy's ears and was looking for some direction on how best to do it. My puppy is also about 16 weeks so older than the suggested age. If anyone can help me with this I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

His ears don't look to bad do you have a better picture of is head? 16 weeks is a little old but they should still work. When I glue my pups ears I use a eye lash type glue designed for hair called duo. I know the are videos on the internet but I will try and explain. you put a drop of clue on the back where the crease Is and then a drop of clue in the front it usually takes me anyway more then one pair of hands lol. The easiest way is place the ears with out glue then you can see how they need to be glued and yes it does make a mess...lol

In my last litter I only had a couple that needed glue because they were going to be going into the show ring. You will have to keep him from scatching at his head for at least a good 2 hours so it sets good.
Good Luck :)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Hi [MENTION=9803]jpresley[/MENTION]!

Could you please post a current photo of your pup?

In my experience during 8 to 20 weeks this is when the ears are much larger than the rest of the face. Usually around 10-12 weeks the ears begin to rose naturally.

I have never glued any pup ears and they all rosed on their own even if big and floppy at 8 weeks.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I wouldn't glue them, we have never glued ears and we have several of our pups in show homes and have never glues them. Yours is a little old to glue them anyway. I do know some show breeders that do occasionally glue ears and by the time they are 8 weeks old the glue has worn off already.

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
PLEASE DON'T glue the ears! Unless you are investing in a high end show dog, why would you do that? My breeder did that o Bogey- I was livid- because I told her I did not want them glued back. She did it anyway. ( he was 8 weeks old) at 11 weeks, the glue was still intact and my vet said it had to come off because the area looked red. The only way to get it off is to PEEL it away from the skin. It took me 3 nights to get it off with poor Bogey yelping with each pull. Sure enough, a slight infection underneath( could have been much worse if I had left it there per my breeders instructions) it took over a week for it to start looking normal. Why this is done is beyond my comprehension. I would never let anyone convince me to do this again. Just my 2 cents.

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
Ppl glue ears solely for showing to have the rose ear. However, gluing won't train them to grow and stay rose shape. You would have yo continue to glue which to be honest I don't think is very good for their ears. Be vet careful w things like that please. The breed is exceptionally sensitive to things and glue could do more harm then good. I understand the desire to want to have a bully meeting all the AKC standard etc, but rose ears are the preferred ear, not the required ear shape :) Your bully is gorgeous

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.