Safe Shampoo Questions (For 14 Week Old Pup)

Bryan4Bella7

Dec 26, 2013
Indiana
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Hey guys,

I was just wondering what the best type of formula or safest type of formula shampoo works best without causing an oily or infectious coat to a 14 week old female bully? I was also what the normal period between bathes were, as have yet to give my new pup a bath. She is starting to form a slight odor after a few days of having her, but nothing that is quite fumigating as of yet.

Any input on a safe and clean puppy shampoo that works well on Bully's would be greatly appreciated, as well as tools I will need to clean my pooch. I plan on making a trip to the pet store this weekend. Thanks!!!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Bryan, I use Petsmarts' brand of Puppy Tearless Shampoo with Oatmeal and Chamomile, it is gentle, and doesn't hurt their eyes, plus it leaves a nice baby powder smell. You can also use plain tearless baby shampoo, as this is also gentle, and won't sting the eyes. I bathe our two guys once every two weeks, but some members bathe once a month, either one is okay. A puppy may need a bath more often as they can still have accidents, and tend to get into more things, so you can also bathe on a as needed basis, if she were to get dirty in between her baths. I first spray down our guys ( we bought a handheld hanging shower head for bathing the dogs, it makes lt a lot easier to rinse them, and easier on the back ). Then I shampoo them, and rinse with warm water, we do a second rinse using Apple Cider Vinegar and warm water and leave it on for a few minutes, then we rinse it off. ACV leaves their fur nice and shiny and soft, and removes the soap residue, plus it keeps them smelling nicer longer in between their baths. We towel dry them really well, I bought 2 sets of cheap towels from Walmart, in pink for Blossom, and Blue for Dozer, so they have their own towels and face cloths, and I just wash them after each bath. We then use a soft brush, I have one soft bristled brush, and also a Kong rubber brush, and we brush their coats, it makes their coats shiny, and is good for their circulation, they really enjoy being brushed, I guess it's sort of like a massage. Brushing them also helps to reduce the shedding, as it removes the loose hairs. Tools you will need are dog shampoo, or baby shampoo, preferably one that won't hurt their eyes, and is gentle and won't dry out their skin, a good soft hair brush, towels, a face cloth to wash out the folds. I don't put their faces or their ears under the water, because of the risk of them getting water either in their noses, which can cause respiratory problems, or in their ears, which can cause a ear infection. I use a face cloth, and put shampoo on it, and clean out their eyes, ears, and nose ropes, then rinse out the cloth and wipe again to rinse their faces. In between their baths, you can use unscented baby wipes, on their ears, eyes, and nose ropes, as well as you can use these to clean out the tail pocket.
You can use bath time to trim their nails, it's easier to trim them after a bath, as the nails are a little softer after being in the water, you can buy a toenail clipper for dogs, and it's also a good time to brush her teeth if you want to start to do this, it's easier to start the grooming things like nail trimming, and teeth brushing when they are puppies, because then they get used to it, and won't mind you doing it, as opposed to trying to introduce it when their older, then they may not like it, and you'll have a harder time. You can buy a doggy toothbrush, or a finger toothbrush at Petsmart or any other pet supply store, and they also have dog toothpaste. I bought the Arm and Hammer brand of toothpaste and toothbrushes, but there are other brands.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Monica gave you great info.... I also use an oatmeal based shampoo

Henry

Feb 10, 2013
NH/MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry
We use Rosemary scented Paw Earth natural shampoo. It is gentle and safe for everyday use (not that you would EVER need to do that, lol) and is PH balanced with rosemary and aloe vera in it. Its safe for puppies (and kittens) over six weeks of age. It contains no sulfates, DEA, MEA, TEA, or parabens and has no detergents, dyes, alcohol, or synthetic colors or fragrances. Works great on dogs with skin conditions too. Its basically made from purified water and cleansers and conditioners that are naturally derived from corn and coconut oil, aloe vera, jojoba oil and rosemary oil. It has a nice rosemary fresh scent.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
While you are possibly waiting on ordered products to arrive, I use the
original Dawn dishwashing liquid (the same used in oil spills on wildlife).
It's safe, gentle and also, kills fleas! After rinsing well, I use 2 cups of
cheap white vinegar and fill rest of plastic pitcher w/warm water and,
avoiding head & ears, slowly pour onto her from front to back ensuring
nice smell & conditioning skin PH balance.

HTX Bully

Aug 6, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Holly
We use Douxo shampoo from the vet.

Great idea [MENTION=5315]Texas Carol[/MENTION] I'll give that a try when we run out of shampoo! I like the kills fleas part. :guns::bully:

Most Reactions