Bathing 10 Day Old Pups...?

M

melanamichelle

My Lillie had 5 pups on December 3rd!!! This is our first litter and it is going well so far. I just have one problem.... stinky, yellow pups! Their little white bodies are light yellow and they stink. I wiped them down with just warm water and a soft cloth, but I don't feel that is cleaning them enough. Lillie does do her part on cleaning their bottoms. When they are in the basket, they poop and get it all over themselves! Is there anything I can use to wipe them down with? I know I can't use puppy shampoo just yet. I was thinking of putting a couple drops of baby shampoo in a bowl of water and dipping the cloth in that? I've come across some people who use baby shampoo and dawn on their pups. Anyone have any suggestions?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
No do not bathe them just keep doing what you are doing wiping them down, and do it quickly so they don't get cold, and make sure they are nice and warm with no draft after. It's best to wait to bathe them until after they can regulate the body temperature, which is give or take 3 weeks old, I usually wait until they are about 4 weeks old and they are weaning on the mush.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I totally agree with [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION], do not bath them yet. The yellow will go away after awhile, you can just keep wiping them down, just don't get them very wet and like she said make sure they are nice and warm.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.