Rumble got a bad grooming report

tiffykay06

Dec 20, 2012
Oklahoma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Rumble Pig Peterson AKA Rumble
I was not happy with the previous groomer so I took Rumble to a new place. The lady told me that she did not cut Rumble's front nails because he kept trying to nip at her. I have never had anything but good reports from his groomer. My question is now should I try somewhere else just for his nails or should I finally just try it myself? We originally bought clippers when we got him but we chickened out and have always had him groomed since. What about the nail grinders? Should I try those instead? All of his front nails are dark so I am terrified of cutting into the quick.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Ugh the dreaded nails. I have such a problem with Brutus. He gets really bad when we try to get his nails done. They wind up muzzling him. I hate it. I also tried to do his nails myself. No good. I have no idea what to do either.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Does your vet offer nail trimming?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I have always cut all my dogs nails myself. The ones I have now HATE getting their nails cut. They refuse to stay still for me. SO, I have to take them all to the vet to get their nails cut. That's embarrassing for me! After all those years......ha!ha! It takes two, one to hold them, and the vet to clip-but they don't growl or bite-just wiggle!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
You can get a Dremel model 7300 cordless that works pretty well and is only about $25.00

B

Baxter Tiberius

I have a trick for doing nails.

First off I assume you are all using the clippers with the guard? It saves you from cutting into the quick ...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005RQUX8Q/ref=oh_details_o08_s02_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Secondly, as far as dealing with the dog himself.

Just do one at a time. that's all. Walk up to him, snip one, then do something else for awhile.

Keep track of where you are in the process, then snip another. Then go do something else.

Before you know it, you'll be done, and little squishy face won't even barely notice.

Kevin

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I take my dogs to a groomer as well, but our vets offer it as a free service too...

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Tank is a big baby so I can't do his nails myself. Problem is that he is so squirmy at the groomer I'm always worried he will fall off the table and hurt himself (that little neck leash aint gonna stop him! lol). So...what I do is I hold him while the groomer clips. He's heavy but I hold him with his legs dangling so he can't get any traction and try to squirm away. Works good for everybody, he still moans and groans like we are killing him but I think he does better with me holding him than he would by himself on the table. Good luck with your baby :)

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Punkin's our sweetheart and let's us clip his nails no problem.

Stiggy, on the other hand, would not stay still. His daycare usually cuts his nails when he's there. If not, we go to a pet store, but we'd need to hold him though while they dremmel. He still squirms a little, but not as much.

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
The dremel is a toy to porky it turns on n she assumes the play stance tail wagging the whole time (same for vacuums, blow dryer, leaf blower, etc if it has a motor n she can take it game on lol) so I have to cut her nails I just cut the tips her nails r prolly longer than most ppl would prefer but she's not in discomfort n it just means more work for me (clipping once a week rather than every few weeks)

OP
tiffykay06

tiffykay06

Dec 20, 2012
Oklahoma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Does your vet offer nail trimming?

I believe our vet does but I will have to check. I know it is not complimentary like some people have mentioned on here when they take their bully to the vet.

OP
tiffykay06

tiffykay06

Dec 20, 2012
Oklahoma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I have a trick for doing nails.

First off I assume you are all using the clippers with the guard? It saves you from cutting into the quick ...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005RQUX8Q/ref=oh_details_o08_s02_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Secondly, as far as dealing with the dog himself.

Just do one at a time. that's all. Walk up to him, snip one, then do something else for awhile.

Keep track of where you are in the process, then snip another. Then go do something else.

Before you know it, you'll be done, and little squishy face won't even barely notice.

Kevin

I have not thought about trying just one at a time. I will have to try that approach and see if it helps. It takes two of us to clean his wrinkles everyday because he tries to run away.

OP
tiffykay06

tiffykay06

Dec 20, 2012
Oklahoma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank is a big baby so I can't do his nails myself. Problem is that he is so squirmy at the groomer I'm always worried he will fall off the table and hurt himself (that little neck leash aint gonna stop him! lol). So...what I do is I hold him while the groomer clips. He's heavy but I hold him with his legs dangling so he can't get any traction and try to squirm away. Works good for everybody, he still moans and groans like we are killing him but I think he does better with me holding him than he would by himself on the table. Good luck with your baby :)

I wish I would have been told about it before we were picking him up so I could have offered to hold him. I think that would have solved the problem.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I believe our vet does but I will have to check. I know it is not complimentary like some people have mentioned on here when they take their bully to the vet.

Our vet always did it as part of the annual wellness check, and if you wanted it done during other visits it was $10, but now they ask and/or check if it is needed and just do them. I tried to do them myself, made it a few times, but once I hit the quick on the second round -- all bets were off and I started going to Petco the girls at ours are real good and take their time with the pups actually get them comfortable with them, before they cut/dermel

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
I did the clicker training concept, cut one nail and give a treat etc, started off very slow but made progress. Then moved to a treat he way, and then after a paw.
Now happy to report I say paw and he hands it to me for massage or nail cutting, he loves his front paws massaged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.