Help with tail pocket

Shelbi

Nov 9, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leann, Doug
I need help. Our 2 year old male bully will not let us clean his tail. He's had several infections. We take him to the vet. They clean his tail fine. Put him on antibiotics. Then he's fine for about a week. We got him at 8 months and was abused as a puppy so growls and bites when we try to clean his pocket. This is my 4th bulldog so I know how to clean the tail and have never had problems with my other dogs. I want him healthy and am also tired of paying the vet and the smell. Any tips would be appreciated.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi and :welcome3: to EBN.... try to squirt Witch Hazel in there, it is a natural drying agent so it may help and you will not have to wipe. it is a better than nothing, but also give high praise when done

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
If he won't let you do it, maybe he will let a groomer do it and they might be cheaper than the vet.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
What about using a squirt type plastic bottle filled with witch hazel?

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
well tail cleaning is the bully way of life. its too bad your baby was hurt in past. now we have to work on making it be ok for you to touch his bum and clean it. maybe you can try going closer and cost while rewarding with treats. wee

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
we got Lola used to bum wipes with tail pocket right after she comes inside the door from doing her business. then treats! use something good like string cheese. then every time you do it, make it a routine and give treats!

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm so sorry to hear about your baby coming from an abused home :( I'm glad that you were able to take him!!! I agree w/the advice above, when I first started cleaning Winston it actually took 2 of us to do it. Can you get some help to keep him distracted w/treats?

OP
S

Shelbi

Nov 9, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leann, Doug
Thank you everyone for the comments. Going to try a groomer. Love this guy and want him healthy but don't want to keep traumatizing him either. Thank you all again. So glad I found this site :-)

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
If you have help, perhaps you could put him up on the counter,put a "cone of shame" on him-so he can't bite you, and have an extra-special treat, that the person on the head end could give, to distract and reward? Start out very gently while talking /reassurance......I do wipe mine-but luckily they don't have tail pockets. Lucky for me, with no help! The odd thing is mine like the butt end wiped, but they do not like getting their FACE wrinkles wiped!

Most Reactions

Members online