Ear Cleaner Safe?

jdotlim

Jul 4, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
Hi,

I've seen "Burt Bees Ear Cleaner" at Petco, I love Burt Bees products on myself, all natural. Would it be safe to use inside Tonka ear? It says to squirt 2-4 drops twice a week inside his ear. I know bully's are prone to infection. I don't want to hurt him.

Below is what it says on the website.

Features some of nature's finest ingredients
Easy to use gentle liquid
Made with Witch Hazel to cleanse the ear & remove excess moisture
Peppermint Oil soothes the affected area

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I would feel totally comfortable using Burt's Bees products, as they are safe and made from natural ingredients. They sell skin care products, for people, and babies, which are safe and gentle, and I myself use their lip balm, and I love it.
Many members on here use witch hazel on their bullies to cleanse the skin, and to clean and dry out the ears and it is safe to use, also peppermint oil is also a natural ingredient, and is also a drying agent, so I would think this would be safe to use as well. My vet gave us a ear cleaning solution for Dozers ears, which works the same way, by drying out and cleaning the ear canal. I always like to use natural products when able to, so the Burt's Bees cleaner is something I would definetely try, and be comfortable using. Having said that the ear cleaning products are meant to be used once a month, or every two months for cleaning the ears, you don't want to over use these products. There are other preventative things you can do to keep the ears clean, and to avoid infections. We use sensitive skin, unscented baby wipes on our bullies to clean their faces, nose ropes, and to clean the excess wax and buildup on the skin inside of their ears, this helps keep them cleaner in between their baths, and monthly ear cleanings. You can avoid a lot of ear infections by being careful when you bathe them, by not letting water get in their ears, or if they swim in lakes or pools, making sure the ears are dried out after swimming, and not letting the water stay in the ear canal. Also something my vet told me after Blossom had her cherry eye surgeries, and I had never thought about, is not letting them stick their head out the window when driving in the car, as the wind will irritate, and dry out eyes, which is not good for cherry eye, but also the wind is not good for their ears either, and could cause ear infections as well.

OP
jdotlim

jdotlim

Jul 4, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
Hi, I would feel totally comfortable using Burt's Bees products, as they are safe and made from natural ingredients. They sell skin care products, for people, and babies, which are safe and gentle, and I myself use their lip balm, and I love it.
Many members on here use witch hazel on their bullies to cleanse the skin, and to clean and dry out the ears and it is safe to use, also peppermint oil is also a natural ingredient, and is also a drying agent, so I would think this would be safe to use as well. My vet gave us a ear cleaning solution for Dozers ears, which works the same way, by drying out and cleaning the ear canal. I always like to use natural products when able to, so the Burt's Bees cleaner is something I would definetely try, and be comfortable using. Having said that the ear cleaning products are meant to be used once a month, or every two months for cleaning the ears, you don't want to over use these products. There are other preventative things you can do to keep the ears clean, and to avoid infections. We use sensitive skin, unscented baby wipes on our bullies to clean their faces, nose ropes, and to clean the excess wax and buildup on the skin inside of their ears, this helps keep them cleaner in between their baths, and monthly ear cleanings. You can avoid a lot of ear infections by being careful when you bathe them, by not letting water get in their ears, or if they swim in lakes or pools, making sure the ears are dried out after swimming, and not letting the water stay in the ear canal. Also something my vet told me after Blossom had her cherry eye surgeries, and I had never thought about, is not letting them stick their head out the window when driving in the car, as the wind will irritate, and dry out eyes, which is not good for cherry eye, but also the wind is not good for their ears either, and could cause ear infections as well.

Thanks for for the help. So only use it once a month, like every time after a bath? But still clean the outside of his ears on a weekly bases?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Yes, don't over clean their ears, as this would be too drying, and could cause irritation. Plus like people we need some beneficial ear wax to keep bacteria out of the ear. Use the ear cleaner once a month, or every other month, you can gage how often you need to do it, by how fast the ears get dirty, or if he gets smelly ears. You can safely use the baby wipes on the outside skin of the ears on a weekly basis. I clean our guys face, nose ropes and outer ears with baby wipes, and this keeps them clean in between their baths, which we do once every two weeks.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I use witch hazel or just a water/vinager mix to clean the ears.....

Moncia gave you great info on cleaning too :)

OP
jdotlim

jdotlim

Jul 4, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
Thanks for all the help. I love this site. Everyone is out to help one another!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.