JennyeStear

I've Got A Get Out Of Jail Free Card!
Jun 3, 2013
Lowell, AR
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jagger and Ellie
Just tonight I noticed one of Jagger's ears is really red inside. And it looked like it had bread crumbs all in it. I've never dealt with ears issues before. He does have horrible allergies. I clean his ears once or twice a week with the ear wash from the vet. I haven't seen him shaking or scratching. He takes over the counter and prescription allergy meds daily. But then last 2 days he has only been getting half doses. My vet said to try and see if it would work since we are now in fall going into winter. I'm going to go back to full dose tomorrow. Are there any ways to tell if this is just allergies or an ear infection?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Just tonight I noticed one of Jagger's ears is really red inside. And it looked like it had bread crumbs all in it. I've never dealt with ears issues before. He does have horrible allergies. I clean his ears once or twice a week with the ear wash from the vet. I haven't seen him shaking or scratching. He takes over the counter and prescription allergy meds daily. But then last 2 days he has only been getting half doses. My vet said to try and see if it would work since we are now in fall going into winter. I'm going to go back to full dose tomorrow. Are there any ways to tell if this is just allergies or an ear infection?

'Bread Crumbs' is tell me allergy build up... does not take long for it to happen. banks suffers with it all the time especially in the spring / fall. something in the change of seasons really sends her ears into overdrive

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I would clean it out with some unscented baby wipes, and if you want you can use the ear wash too. If it doesn't have a smell to it, the it's just allergies. Jewel's ears need cleaned about 3 times a week when her allergies kick in, but it only last for a couple months.

OP
JennyeStear

JennyeStear

Jun 3, 2013
Lowell, AR
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jagger and Ellie
His ears don't smell and it's only the right one. I'm going to keep it clean and watch it a few more days and see how it does. It's doesn't seem to be bothering him much.

Gordosmom1212

Aug 11, 2013
Pflugerville, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Magnum (EB), Delta (EB), Gracie (EB), Zoey (FB), Pebbles (FB), Prada (FB)
I am having the same issue. Any suggestions on a cleaning solution or ways to clean their ears??

♡Blessed♥

OP
JennyeStear

JennyeStear

Jun 3, 2013
Lowell, AR
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jagger and Ellie
I am having the same issue. Any suggestions on a cleaning solution or ways to clean their ears??

♡Blessed♥

I got ear wash from my vet. And he told me to put a little athletes foot cream on his ear. Not down in it. Said it's very likely allergies and yeast. Just like what everyone here said :). Said this next week if no improvement to bring him in.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

♡Blessed♥

I use an Apple cider vinegar and water mix... Squirt in ear rubber a little then wipe it out

And i keep a bottle of Tresaderm on-hand for when they are really bad
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

santinomom

Jan 22, 2013
Rochester, New York
Bulldog(s) Names
Santino
I use an Apple cider vinegar and water mix... Squirt in ear rubber a little then wipe it out

And i keep a bottle of Tresaderm on-hand for when they are really bad
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Is it safe to use the apple cider vinegar and water solution down in the ear canal as well or just to wipe out the outer ear?

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Is it safe to use the apple cider vinegar and water solution down in the ear canal as well or just to wipe out the outer ear?

i put in the canal... No harm at all

OP
JennyeStear

JennyeStear

Jun 3, 2013
Lowell, AR
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jagger and Ellie
Doing the ear wash and the athlete's foot cream has really cleared up Jagger's ear. It's not red anymore just a little pink

OP
JennyeStear

JennyeStear

Jun 3, 2013
Lowell, AR
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jagger and Ellie
Jagger's ear is almost all better :)- now I just washing his ears at night and doing the cream every other day. I going to wash his ears nightly until the end of the week. This is the advice of my vet. Said then go to 3 times a week. And just see how often he needs it from there.

RazrRila99

Mar 24, 2013
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Colossus
Thank you to everyone in this thread. I just noticed how "dirty" Colossus' ears were last night. So I cleaned last night then this morning the right one was oozing just a bit. They dont smell so Im hoping its just allergies.

On the vinegar water mix, how much vinegar do I put in the water? Just three or four drops in his ear and call it good?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.