Sorry this is gross, but I'm confused...

MyStellaBully

Aug 20, 2013
Geneva, Illinois
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella
Last week Stella developed a foul odor coming from her bottom. From my research here, we decided it was her anal glands. We watched a couple YouTube videos, and off we went. Our attempts produced nothing! So, I took her to the vet the next morning. Vet said right side was empty, but left side needed drained. GREAT! $50 later we were out the door and back to normal, or so I thought. I bathed her today, but the smell still isn't gone. It isn't near as bad as before the vet emptied her, but still noticeable. Any thoughts??? I clean her with baby wipes every time she goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

bella100

Community Veteran
Sep 7, 2011
Mississippi
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Dooley, and Bentley
Re: Sorry this is gross, but I'm confusedā€¦

I have NEVER had to deal with this with Bella thank heavens, i dont think my belly would let me!! Good luck and your baby is so adorable!!

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)

Sometimes they are not fully empty -next day i have to express Lilys again -this time not much coming out
It is hard at first to locate the glands -as you already watched videos you know where they are located -and what to do ,and way to olace the tissue etc to collect the liquid so its no point for me to explain
its a bit of a hit and miss when it comes to a bulldog -i got a problem finding lilys - i usually push both of my fingers a bot harder (not to hard ) and while my fingers are in (skin not bum lol) i move upwards-then i can just about to feel a small sack -like a soft ball - one if them is usually more full than the other one (sometimes both are full but that is rare) - and as i keep my fingers on both glands i always find it better to express
Also i "hang" lily of the sofa - so i can have better access -and if your baby got a tail try to lift it -for some reason i can feel glands quicker then
Sometimes -i just "work" from memory ;-)
With Shy is very easy once i lift her tail
When i first started to express glands i had problem locating them so i had to press my fingers harder as it was eater that or she would leak foul smell all over the place
Personally i dont see a point paying someone what i can do so i learned as sometimes she can leak on a weekend or in the car!-yuck!!!!!(smell is truly awful!!!!)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack

Does she have a tail
Pocket? If the smell is still there I'm wondering if she's got a dirty pocket...

It's right under the tail but above the anus, hard to find unless you feel for it. Some are extremely deep but even a small one can get bad fast.

fastmatt613

Socks Don't Hold Pee.....Trust Me on This!
Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco

I can't offer you advice but I'm sending my well wishes your way that this gets resolved soon!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom

Sorry I do t have any advice to give, as I haven't experienced this yet with my guys. You have already gotten great advice from Pati, and Lisa. If its not the anal glands, then it could be the tail pocket, my guys don't have a tail pocket either, so I haven't had to deal with this either. Hope you are able to pinpoint the source, and resolve the smell. Just wanted to say your baby is super cute. Good luck.

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel

Mabel has quite a deep tail pocket which has to be cleaned regularly. I would imagine they can get quite stinky. We refer to the leakage from the anal glands as "stinky fish butt." Mabel can almost clear the room! :yes4:

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven

It NEVER fails to amaze me how much we adore these bullies w/such
gross, strange & quirky issues that we do (or get done) these things
for them. Especially me, I'm such a girlie girl and all the ladies here...
you just can't explain bully crazy love to those that don't have it and
sometimes, even to yourself! It just IS~GOD bless everyone & our bullies!

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo

I got my Elmo yesterday at 6:00 AM a transport team brought him to me from the breeder. He is a Cutie, I will post a picture of him when I find out how to do it with our new computer, our old computer was so easy, not this new one, anyway, Elmo had a smell to him at his anal, so I cleaned him up and made sure he was dry. Can I put Baby Powder around his tail pocket? Or if not what can I put on Elmo's tail pocket after I clean it? Thank You, Susan Moore

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank

Yeah I can always tell when Franklin needs his tail pocket clean it starts to stink a little

Sheena

Community Veteran
May 18, 2013
Northwest Indiana
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy

Ya Im with everyone else on this one... Im guessing its the tail pocket :/ Those can get pretty stinky

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack

I got my Elmo yesterday at 6:00 AM a transport team brought him to me from the breeder. He is a Cutie, I will post a picture of him when I find out how to do it with our new computer, our old computer was so easy, not this new one, anyway, Elmo had a smell to him at his anal, so I cleaned him up and made sure he was dry. Can I put Baby Powder around his tail pocket? Or if not what can I put on Elmo's tail pocket after I clean it? Thank You, Susan Moore

Gold bond would be better than baby powder. To clean it either douxo pads or malacetic products.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

It NEVER fails to amaze me how much we adore these bullies w/such
gross, strange & quirky issues that we do (or get done) these things
for them. Especially me, I'm such a girlie girl and all the ladies here...
you just can't explain bully crazy love to those that don't have it and
sometimes, even to yourself! It just IS~GOD bless everyone & our bullies!

AMEN!!!

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly

Our frenchie mix leaks his glands all the time. It is a horrible bloody and fishy smell. I have found the smell goes away after a bath, drying and then baby powder for his hum. If the smell doesn't, it just means he hasn't fully expressed. Fortunately my hubby use to be a vet tech and will go in and express them

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)

Our frenchie mix leaks his glands all the time. It is a horrible bloody and fishy smell. I have found the smell goes away after a bath, drying and then baby powder for his hum. If the smell doesn't, it just means he hasn't fully expressed. Fortunately my hubby use to be a vet tech and will go in and express them

Bloody? I think if there is a blood in an anal gland fluid (whatever you call this stinky substance lol) that is a sign of infection

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.