Several Showers Per Week

• Thread starter Baxter Tiberius
  • Start date
B

Baxter Tiberius

Usually a bad thing, especially with this breed.

But I've discovered something, at least with Baxter. He has constant skin problems, but I constantly find him laying in his patch of grass which he pees and poops on. Additionally from time to time he will have an accident in his bed, which of course he lays on. I have washed the thing five million times at least.

Anyways, the point is, a lot of the skin conditions (severe red marks) i thought were from food. Then the vet suggested neosporin and I was shocked to see them clear up almost immediately overnight. That tells me bacterial. Not allergic....

Earlier this week I was getting in the shower, and in waddles Baxter. Im like "Oh really, are you sure you want to be in here?" He just looked at me and sniffed his nostrils at me. So I turned on the shower, and washed him down. But with no soap. No shampoo. No nothing. Just water. He'd been playing with the dogs at the daycare, which I am confident gets him quite dirty, and possible infections, etc.

Three or four times this week he's had a water rinse (no soaps or anything) while I showered, and ... his skin looks better than I have ever seen it, since the day I got him. All the red marks have gone "skin color" and are healing perfectly. Everything is clearing up beautifully, and his fur just looks brilliantly fluffy and healthy.

Maybe it was a contact dermatitis of some sort, and I am rinsing off the allergens. Maybe rinsing off any residue of feces and urine is whats helping. Do dogs sweat? Maybe thats part of it. Surely plain water won't hurt them or cause issues right? If so ... i may keep this up.

I swear this dog eats the same food I do, and now he may even be showering on the same schedule. I mean why not right?

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
My Joey doesn't have any skin issues but she does go roll in soil every now and then so she showers quite a lot:tongue: Just like you I don't use shampoo other than if it's really necessary, water is enough just to rinse the soil off. The only thing I've noticed with Joey is that if her feet stay wet she gets cysts between her toes. Same goes for rainy moist weather. But that's an easy fix, I just make sure I dry her feet nicely and if needed put some baby powder if it's hard to get it dry with a towel. Jo can be quite a wrestler when it comes to wiping her feet:ashamed:

It's great you found a good way to get rid of his skin issues:)

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
I have no "real" knowledge on this, but it seems to be working for Baxter!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Harlea loves to roll around in the dirt and mud all the time as well as play in her pool. She loves water. She will get soaking wet a few times a week but we only use shampoo once or twice a month tops. Her skin is nice and pretty.

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
its definitely food for thought, we like to be clean and feel clean why wouldn't they? I think its cute he likes to shower with Daddy maybe it makes him feel like a big boy, who knows LOL if its working keep it up. So glad you have found a solution.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Sounds like allergens to me are the culprit... I don't bathe my dogs because I'm allergic to dogs!!! :eek: I do get shots, and it's manageable but for some reason bathing them is an issue for me. I take them to the groomers every 6 to 8 weeks.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
My guys love the hose and pool, but not the shower.... I noticed in the summer, all the hose/pool play they do look great. So if it is working and seems to keep the natural oils in place... Should be fine for the fur/coat.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
The water baths won't hurt a thing, because they do not wash off all the natural oils that his skin needs, and as you say, it is washing off the contaminants, so that is helping. So happy it is working for him. He knew what he needed. :2thumbs:

OP
B

Baxter Tiberius

Great thank you everyone!

I wouldn't say he enjoys the showers, but he is very polite and tolerates them well. Good natured about it. Very calm and quiet. Doesn't seem to be sure what to make of it.

Its after the shower that the fun begins. I swear its his happiest moment. I dry him off and he goes crazy in the towel making piggy noises and little baby snarl noises while "gumming" the towel.

Once I let him down, he curls into the little piglet ball position and starts running around the house as fast as he can. Its got to be the funniest thing. He's so happy for some reason.

Glad the water is nothing but good for him :)

Jennifer Clark

Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Great thank you everyone!

I wouldn't say he enjoys the showers, but he is very polite and tolerates them well. Good natured about it. Very calm and quiet. Doesn't seem to be sure what to make of it.

Its after the shower that the fun begins. I swear its his happiest moment. I dry him off and he goes crazy in the towel making piggy noises and little baby snarl noises while "gumming" the towel.

Once I let him down, he curls into the little piglet ball position and starts running around the house as fast as he can. Its got to be the funniest thing. He's so happy for some reason.

Glad the water is nothing but good for him :)

We call that the tuck and run lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

OP
B

Baxter Tiberius

we call that the tuck and run
LOL! Great name for it. They turn into little cannonballs.

Jennifer Clark

Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
LOL! Great name for it. They turn into little cannonballs.

That they do!! Sheldon jumps on everything when he does the tuck and run furniture gets moved because he just moves it out of his way LOL

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
So glad you found a solution for Baxter's skin issues, and if it works, great. Plain water shouldn't be a problem for his skin. It must be a lot easier on the back to clean and rinse him in the shower than to bend over the tub. Maybe with time, he may even learn to like showers. :rain:

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Staff online

Members online