Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Does your baby scratch his ear? Shake his head does his ear "smell" different? Or there is bigger than usual amount of "gunk-ear wax") -why im asking -Shy recently had it so i bought her an ear drops from Amazon (after phoning my vet she said it was fine ti try) they are called Otodex Ear Drops 14m (not sure if you can buy them in us -but worth trying) and after a daily ear clean i put them in Shy ear -after 5 days she was fine x
I usually clean mine once a week (when there isnt any problem)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
It could just be allergies, Jewels needs cleaning more now than usual. You can also use Malacetic Ultra in the ears. If there is a smell to it, you need to go to the vet and get some meds ,as that is a sign of a ear infection.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I'm wondering if maybe you're cleaning too often, and what are you cleaning with? I have a solution to "flush' the ears but my vet only wants me to use this once a month. Finn is somewhat prone to ear infections with recent red ears also, so my vet had me apply some tri-otic ointment into his ears once a day x 1 week. But definitely, if your bully is scratching at the ear or if there's an odd smell, take him to the vet to get checked out.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
as others have said.... could be allergies. and I agree also with only clean once maybe twice a week at most.

OP
triplej

triplej

Sep 22, 2013
Ky. Near Natural Bridge state park.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullett, Salley, Kelsey and Kate
Thanks all for reply's. He don't scratch or shake his head. I have a hard time smelling so hard to say about that. But will start cleaning weekly other than every day and if continues to stay red will have a trip to the vet in store.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Thanks all for reply's. He don't scratch or shake his head. I have a hard time smelling so hard to say about that. But will start cleaning weekly other than every day and if continues to stay red will have a trip to the vet in store.

We use a solution from the vet Momemax (not home so not sure on spelling) And it works great! We usually only use it maybe 1 time a week! It worked wonders when he had an ear infection! I am wondering if it could be yeast that you are dealing with

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
You already got lots of great advice, and I agree with comments of maybe you're cleaning the ear too much. This might be irritating them. My son had some experience with this a few years ago, he was getting ear infections on a regular basis, and went to the doctor, he said he had a fungal infection in his ear, and it was caused from cleaning his ears too much. He was using Q-tips in his ears everyday, and was removing all the wax in his ears. he said we need some beneficial wax in our ears to protect the ears. By removing all the wax, there's no barrier for bacteria, so he developed a fungal infection in the ear. The remedy for this was the doctor cleaned out his ear with alcohol to dry it out, and cleaned it out, and he's been good ever since. It still could be caused by allergies as well. If it doesn't clear up, or you find he has an odour from his ears, then it could be a ear infection, or a yeast infection, and then a vet visit would be a good idea.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.