Real Name
    Alyssa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Queen Margaret May
    Likes (Received)

Default Pocket Tail fun

I'm a first time bulldog owner. I have always wanted one and found a sweet girl who's family got too big and they needed to find a home for her. I've been finding more and more little things that no one told me about but I've been managing and adapting well. But one thing I feel awful about is not even knowing her "pocket" existed. She loves to swim so I let her do so often but not knowing she has that little pocket in her tail, I never thought to clean or dry it. It started getting very smelly. And itchy. So far it's not red or inflamed or raw or anything. I don't suspect an infection. It is very stinky and wet and brown in there though, I've been washing it out and drying thoroughly with q tips but she's still scooting. I've read many suggestions but I feel like I'm being pulled in a lot of directions. Can someone suggest cheap, safe methods to help the itching and smell stop? I plan to continue cleaning it on a daily basis.

Bulldog Vet in Training Lauren31287's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lauren
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Pocket Tail fun

So happy to hear you finally found your dream dog! I'm sorry to hear about her discomfort though. They sell this stuff online called Malacetic ultra! It's very strong and only to be used in a situation like this not for everyday cleaning. I used it on Winston and it did work for a bit but eventually we had to take him to the vet to get meds. Unfortunately when the pocket gets brown and gunky like that it could already be infected or on its way there. Good news is after 2 weeks of meds he is good as new! After you get the infection cleared up you can use witch hazel or raw apple cider vinegar for cleaning. Good luck!! I sure hope she feels better soon!

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fergus
    Likes (Received)

Hi and your baby is too cute! Someone will stop by and offer you some great advice.

Doggie Boutique Owner FORDE'SMOM's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Forde
    Likes (Received)

welcome to EBN

Doggie Boutique Owner christyjulene's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christy
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abbey
    Likes (Received)

I am concerned that the pocket smells. I would take her to the vet and get the appropriate medication to get started with a healthy tail pocket. I am usually all for trying things at home but when it comes to tail pockets I believe in not messing around with home remedies when they are smelling and brown. You may have some success in cleaning the surface but yeast and infection are hard to detect and even harder to treat. The consequences of long term infection are not good.

So sorry you and May were not given all the instructions that you needed because it sounds like you really are working really hard to care for her and being a good bully mom.

Here is a great article on bully cleaning http://www.englishbulldognews.com/co...kets-and-Vulva
    Abbey is looking for a forever home

Bulldog Vet in Training Lauren31287's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lauren
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by christyjulene View Post
    I am concerned that the pocket smells. I would take her to the vet and get the appropriate medication to get started with a healthy tail pocket. I am usually all for trying things at home but when it comes to tail pockets I believe in not messing around with home remedies when they are smelling and brown. You may have some success in cleaning the surface but yeast and infection are hard to detect and even harder to treat. The consequences of long term infection are not good.

So sorry you and May were not given all the instructions that you needed because it sounds like you really are working really hard to care for her and being a good bully mom.

Here is a great article on bully cleaning http://www.englishbulldognews.com/co...kets-and-Vulva

This is great advice!! I agree!!

Rescue Volunteer
    Real Name
    Dave
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    "The Stallone Bros"
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by alyssahope View Post
    I'm a first time bulldog owner. I have always wanted one and found a sweet girl who's family got too big and they needed to find a home for her. I've been finding more and more little things that no one told me about but I've been managing and adapting well. But one thing I feel awful about is not even knowing her "pocket" existed. She loves to swim so I let her do so often but not knowing she has that little pocket in her tail, I never thought to clean or dry it. It started getting very smelly. And itchy. So far it's not red or inflamed or raw or anything. I don't suspect an infection. It is very stinky and wet and brown in there though, I've been washing it out and drying thoroughly with q tips but she's still scooting. I've read many suggestions but I feel like I'm being pulled in a lot of directions. Can someone suggest cheap, safe methods to help the itching and smell stop? I plan to continue cleaning it on a daily basis.
    Hey and Welcome to EBN, having a Bully, this site is as important as the proper diet for Queen. I go to Amazon, and order "Douxo" pads chlorhexidine 3% PS Pads, they are Antiseptic and cleansing cotton pads and I think they come like 30 pads to a container. Ingredients are "Chlorhexidine 3% - Climbazole 0.5% Phytosphingosine sallcyloyl 0.5%. I keep these pads handy, as my Vet tried to sell me a very expensive type of pad he was pushing out of his office, I'm sure a kickback was in order for him, but anyway, I found many other users in this community used these same pads, I look at them almost like the generic brand, and I use them on my Boys, their Tail Pockets, and even the folds in their face, Daily, or at least a few times a week, depending on how dirty they are after using them. If they are dirty, I know I've waited to long, if they are super clean, I may wait a day between, But I use these pads on both of my boys with no problems, they do a good job, and I order a couple containers at a time, It's a small container with like 3 inch circular pads, like a teenager would use to clean acne on their face. Has a decent fresh smell, and keeps the yeast away. Disposable afterwards, and I really like them because their cheap enough. Hope this helps you !! and again Welcome to EBN and look foreword to following your threads, have you by chance taken a second to post in New Members thread, I'm thinking everyone would love a chance to meet and greet you?

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Here is what I use, and others have different suggestions that work well too.

Wipe out pocket with 1/8 apple cider vinegar per 7/8 water. Clean area until all of the brown stuff is gone.

But some malacetic ultra off amazon. Wet down a cotton ball with the malacetic ultra and stick it inside of pocket, working it around as much as possible. Make sure it has plenty on it.

Allow to dry out on its own, the malecetic has its own drying agent in it.

Once you get the pocket under control after several days of this, i would repeat it for 3 more days once you have a clean wipe. Then switch to a milder cleanser like witch hazel. Follow up with gold bond powder. You may never have an issue again.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Real Name
    Alyssa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Queen Margaret May
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by desertskybulldogs View Post
    Here is what I use, and others have different suggestions that work well too.

Wipe out pocket with 1/8 apple cider vinegar per 7/8 water. Clean area until all of the brown stuff is gone.

But some malacetic ultra off amazon. Wet down a cotton ball with the malacetic ultra and stick it inside of pocket, working it around as much as possible. Make sure it has plenty on it.

Allow to dry out on its own, the malecetic has its own drying agent in it.

Once you get the pocket under control after several days of this, i would repeat it for 3 more days once you have a clean wipe. Then switch to a milder cleanser like witch hazel. Follow up with gold bond powder. You may never have an issue again.
    Is the apple cider vinegar available at any grocery store? I've never heard of that. Why does that work? I went ahead and bought the malacetic ultra because I've seen that a lot of people have had success with that product. I'm so tired of having to see my baby scoot in itchy agony over this darn tail

Real Name
    Hans Gruber
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bacon
    Likes (Received)

Is the apple cider vinegar available at any grocery store? I've never heard of that. Why does that work? I went ahead and bought the malacetic ultra because I've seen that a lot of people have had success with that product. I'm so tired of having to see my baby scoot in itchy agony over this darn tail
    Yes you can get it at the food store, I know a lot of us use Braggs, this is what the bottle looks like

-capture-jpg

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

ACV works well to combat yeast... 1:4 ACV 3:4 water. It's acidic so don't go more than 1:4 ratio.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nuts Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jennifer
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean ; Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Welcome to EBN!! can't wait to see more pics of your fur baby. Can I get that Brags here in Arkansas? I haven't seen it maybe I just haven't looked well enough.

R.I.P. Duece Man 9-13-14 Gone but not forgotten, always in our hearts! Till we meet again over the Bridge, Mommy misses you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads