Pocket Tail fun

alyssahope

Jul 23, 2013
Birmingham, AL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Queen Margaret May
I'm a first time bulldog owner. I have always wanted one and found a sweet girl who's family got too big and they needed to find a home for her. I've been finding more and more little things that no one told me about but I've been managing and adapting well. But one thing I feel awful about is not even knowing her "pocket" existed. She loves to swim so I let her do so often but not knowing she has that little pocket in her tail, I never thought to clean or dry it. It started getting very smelly. And itchy. So far it's not red or inflamed or raw or anything. I don't suspect an infection. It is very stinky and wet and brown in there though, I've been washing it out and drying thoroughly with q tips but she's still scooting. I've read many suggestions but I feel like I'm being pulled in a lot of directions. Can someone suggest cheap, safe methods to help the itching and smell stop? I plan to continue cleaning it on a daily basis.

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
So happy to hear you finally found your dream dog! I'm sorry to hear about her discomfort though. They sell this stuff online called Malacetic ultra! It's very strong and only to be used in a situation like this not for everyday cleaning. I used it on Winston and it did work for a bit but eventually we had to take him to the vet to get meds. Unfortunately when the pocket gets brown and gunky like that it could already be infected or on its way there. Good news is after 2 weeks of meds he is good as new! After you get the infection cleared up you can use witch hazel or raw apple cider vinegar for cleaning. Good luck!! I sure hope she feels better soon!

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
Hi and :smileywelcome: your baby is too cute! Someone will stop by and offer you some great advice.

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
I am concerned that the pocket smells. I would take her to the vet and get the appropriate medication to get started with a healthy tail pocket. I am usually all for trying things at home but when it comes to tail pockets I believe in not messing around with home remedies when they are smelling and brown. You may have some success in cleaning the surface but yeast and infection are hard to detect and even harder to treat. The consequences of long term infection are not good.

So sorry you and May were not given all the instructions that you needed because it sounds like you really are working really hard to care for her and being a good bully mom.

Here is a great article on bully cleaning http://www.englishbulldognews.com/c...-Nose-Ropes-Folds-Paws-Tail-Pockets-and-Vulva

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
I am concerned that the pocket smells. I would take her to the vet and get the appropriate medication to get started with a healthy tail pocket. I am usually all for trying things at home but when it comes to tail pockets I believe in not messing around with home remedies when they are smelling and brown. You may have some success in cleaning the surface but yeast and infection are hard to detect and even harder to treat. The consequences of long term infection are not good.

So sorry you and May were not given all the instructions that you needed because it sounds like you really are working really hard to care for her and being a good bully mom.

Here is a great article on bully cleaning http://www.englishbulldognews.com/c...-Nose-Ropes-Folds-Paws-Tail-Pockets-and-Vulva

This is great advice!! I agree!! :)

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
I'm a first time bulldog owner. I have always wanted one and found a sweet girl who's family got too big and they needed to find a home for her. I've been finding more and more little things that no one told me about but I've been managing and adapting well. But one thing I feel awful about is not even knowing her "pocket" existed. She loves to swim so I let her do so often but not knowing she has that little pocket in her tail, I never thought to clean or dry it. It started getting very smelly. And itchy. So far it's not red or inflamed or raw or anything. I don't suspect an infection. It is very stinky and wet and brown in there though, I've been washing it out and drying thoroughly with q tips but she's still scooting. I've read many suggestions but I feel like I'm being pulled in a lot of directions. Can someone suggest cheap, safe methods to help the itching and smell stop? I plan to continue cleaning it on a daily basis.

Hey and Welcome to EBN, having a Bully, this site is as important as the proper diet for Queen. I go to Amazon, and order "Douxo" pads chlorhexidine 3% PS Pads, they are Antiseptic and cleansing cotton pads and I think they come like 30 pads to a container. Ingredients are "Chlorhexidine 3% - Climbazole 0.5% Phytosphingosine sallcyloyl 0.5%. I keep these pads handy, as my Vet tried to sell me a very expensive type of pad he was pushing out of his office, I'm sure a kickback was in order for him, but anyway, I found many other users in this community used these same pads, I look at them almost like the generic brand, and I use them on my Boys, their Tail Pockets, and even the folds in their face, Daily, or at least a few times a week, depending on how dirty they are after using them. If they are dirty, I know I've waited to long, if they are super clean, I may wait a day between, But I use these pads on both of my boys with no problems, they do a good job, and I order a couple containers at a time, It's a small container with like 3 inch circular pads, like a teenager would use to clean acne on their face. Has a decent fresh smell, and keeps the yeast away. Disposable afterwards, and I really like them because their cheap enough. Hope this helps you !! and again Welcome to EBN and look foreword to following your threads, have you by chance taken a second to post in New Members thread, I'm thinking everyone would love a chance to meet and greet you?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Here is what I use, and others have different suggestions that work well too.

Wipe out pocket with 1/8 apple cider vinegar per 7/8 water. Clean area until all of the brown stuff is gone.

But some malacetic ultra off amazon. Wet down a cotton ball with the malacetic ultra and stick it inside of pocket, working it around as much as possible. Make sure it has plenty on it.

Allow to dry out on its own, the malecetic has its own drying agent in it.

Once you get the pocket under control after several days of this, i would repeat it for 3 more days once you have a clean wipe. Then switch to a milder cleanser like witch hazel. Follow up with gold bond powder. You may never have an issue again.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

OP
alyssahope

alyssahope

Jul 23, 2013
Birmingham, AL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Queen Margaret May
Here is what I use, and others have different suggestions that work well too.

Wipe out pocket with 1/8 apple cider vinegar per 7/8 water. Clean area until all of the brown stuff is gone.

But some malacetic ultra off amazon. Wet down a cotton ball with the malacetic ultra and stick it inside of pocket, working it around as much as possible. Make sure it has plenty on it.

Allow to dry out on its own, the malecetic has its own drying agent in it.

Once you get the pocket under control after several days of this, i would repeat it for 3 more days once you have a clean wipe. Then switch to a milder cleanser like witch hazel. Follow up with gold bond powder. You may never have an issue again.

Is the apple cider vinegar available at any grocery store? I've never heard of that. Why does that work? I went ahead and bought the malacetic ultra because I've seen that a lot of people have had success with that product. I'm so tired of having to see my baby scoot in itchy agony over this darn tail :(

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Is the apple cider vinegar available at any grocery store? I've never heard of that. Why does that work? I went ahead and bought the malacetic ultra because I've seen that a lot of people have had success with that product. I'm so tired of having to see my baby scoot in itchy agony over this darn tail :(

Yes you can get it at the food store, I know a lot of us use Braggs, this is what the bottle looks like

capture.JPG

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack

ACV works well to combat yeast... 1:4 ACV 3:4 water. It's acidic so don't go more than 1:4 ratio.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Welcome to EBN!! can't wait to see more pics of your fur baby. Can I get that Brags here in Arkansas? I haven't seen it maybe I just haven't looked well enough.

OP
alyssahope

alyssahope

Jul 23, 2013
Birmingham, AL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Queen Margaret May
Thanks everyone. I've been cleaning it with the ACV as directed and put some in her water. Hopefully this will clear up soon. I think it's getting better. It's not so smelly anymore. Honestly I'm 90% sure her last owner has never cleaned it either. My poor baby :(

OP
alyssahope

alyssahope

Jul 23, 2013
Birmingham, AL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Queen Margaret May
Welcome to EBN!! can't wait to see more pics of your fur baby. Can I get that Brags here in Arkansas? I haven't seen it maybe I just haven't looked well enough.

I'm currently in Arkansas visiting my family! I just bought the cheap brand and made sure the ingredients were just apple cider vinegar. No yeast or artificial flavored.

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
I'm currently in Arkansas visiting my family! I just bought the cheap brand and made sure the ingredients were just apple cider vinegar. No yeast or artificial flavored.
Awesome what part of Arkansas are in you I'm about an hour North East of Little Rock...Searcy and ok I think I have some I think its Heinz in the pantry. Thank you.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online