Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Red Ear?

Quote Originally Posted by sunkissedpr1ncs View Post
    So I took barkley to the vet yesterday and they said he had an ear infection, but it was mainly just on his ear flap and not much in the canal. They gave him a steroid shot and some ointment for me to put on it.

Then last night right before we were going to take him to the bathroom before bed, he was sitting on the couch with us and then all of a sudden we saw a huge pee spot on the couch!! He acted like he didn't even know it had happened. He's completely potty trained and hasn't had an accident in months so I know it wasn't just him deciding to go. I looked it up online and saw other people saying the steroid shot had caused their dogs to lose control over their bladder.

This morning he woke us up about an hour early to go out and usually we have to push him out the door and down the stairs but this time he sprinted down because he had to go so bad. Poor guy

I called the vet and they said that shouldn't be a side effect, that it can make them more thirsty so they drink more water and have to go more, but it shouldn't cause any loss of control of their bladder. I haven't noticed him drinking any more water than usual, so I don't think that is causing it.

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm just wondering how long this is going to last?!? My husband and I work all day and he is usually in his crate from 8-5ish and never has an accident (we still have to force him to go outside when we get home - so lazy!!) and I'm just worried he won't be able to hold it now. Luckily my boss is letting me go home during lunch and just work from home the rest of the day so I can keep an eye on him. I'm hoping he will be ok and this won't last for a long time!!
    My girl was the same way when on steriods... she constantly had to go regardless of how much she drank
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Real Name
    Michele
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Barkley and Pippen
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren31287 View Post
    Glad to hear the vet was able to treat it! As far as the steriods, Winston never had a shot however when he had his really bad tail infection the vet put him on steriod pills for 1 week and she warned us that he could have accidents because of the excessive drinking. I can tell you that the first night Winston was on them the SAME thing happened and I didn't notice any extra drinking the first day either. He went to the bathroom before bed like normal but I woke up in the morning earlier then normal because I wanted to try to avoid the accident but it had already happened. Winston is 2 years old so his accidents are welllll over by now. After that I made sure I got up in the middle of the night to let him out. It was like back to puppy stages. Luckily my husband already goes home at lunch everyday and was able to work from home a few days but he was only able to hold his bladder for about 4 hours while on them and even up to a week after. He usually holds it for at least 8 sometimes more depending on his laziness that day.

Anyways the whole point of the story was for you to know your not alone, it did happen to Winston. Poor Barkley is fine I am sure and give it a few days and his bladder will be back to normal. For now maybe just use towels for bedding so if he does have an accident it can be easily washed and keep a close eye on him. Good luck, I hope the little guy is feeling better soon!
    Thanks so much for letting me know about Winston, that makes me feel better that it seems to be a common thing! Hopefully it won't last too long...At least it's the weekend and we can keep more of an eye on him!

Thanks again!

Bulldog Vet in Training Lauren31287's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lauren
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sunkissedpr1ncs View Post
    Thanks so much for letting me know about Winston, that makes me feel better that it seems to be a common thing! Hopefully it won't last too long...At least it's the weekend and we can keep more of an eye on him!

Thanks again!
    No problem!! I hope he's feeling better today!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads