Reverse sneezing

FORDE'SMOM

Jun 17, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Forde
Forde just did this reverse sneezing thing.....curious as to if happens to anyone else here.......the first time it happened was like 2 years ago, scared me to death..........i ran to him trying to help...calmed him down and then it went away......after a minute he seemed okay...i immediately ran to the computor to see what i could find about it .....the info I found out said that it wasn't anything serious....it happens to several types of dogs.....and there are ways to stop it instantly....the method i use is to go to forde take my thumb and index finger and lay is softly over his nostril openings and it instantly stops......he has such a look about him when this happens though almost like he's scared :( anyone else experienced this with their bully?

found this on you tube 5 months old -
reverse sneezing - YouTube

Last edited:

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Yes, has happened to both of mine. If it's infrequent I understand it is okay. Have to worry when it becomes more frequent. I do what you did to ease the reverse sneezing. I also stroke their throat area gently when it happens.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yes... Nitschke did it a lot. banks does it occasionally, almost rare for her. My Frenchie, Cheli does it a lot too

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Yes, has happened to both of mine. If it's infrequent I understand it is okay. Have to worry when it becomes more frequent. I do what you did to ease the reverse sneezing. I also stroke their throat area gently when it happens.

ditto. Happened to us when Spring first sprung. It was bad the first week, and now it's pretty rare. I just blow in his face and stroke his throat and Remi stops immediately.

OP
FORDE'SMOM

FORDE'SMOM

Jun 17, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Forde
thanks....:) i think this is like the 3rd time it's happened with forde....and hes aproaching 4yrs old in june!

traceylynn172

May 23, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver ,Maui, Cupcake ,Winter, EEyore, Piglet, Roo and Hana
Yea it is common all 4 of mine have done it at one time or another even my moms poodle mixes have done. I did ask the vet about it one time and he said it was nothing to worry about unless it becomes a constant several times a day thing. :)

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
Happens to Aubie sometimes. I use the same technique as you for stopping it.

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Ace doesn't but our maltese has from the get go and still does. It is scary at first until you know what it is.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
I'm sorry but i just understand the big
deal. it seems as tho they are just horking back some snot like some gross humans do
Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
Forde just did this reverse sneezing thing.....curious as to if happens to anyone else here.......the first time it happened was like 2 years ago, scared me to death..........i ran to him trying to help...calmed him down and then it went away......after a minute he seemed okay...i immediately ran to the computor to see what i could find about it .....the info I found out said that it wasn't anything serious....it happens to several types of dogs.....and there are ways to stop it instantly....the method i use is to go to forde take my thumb and index finger and lay is softly over his nostril openings and it instantly stops......he has such a look about him when this happens though almost like he's scared :( anyone else experienced this with their bully?

found this on you tube 5 months old -
reverse sneezing - YouTube

Thank You very much for posting the YouTube video, I've been watching the thread wondering what a backwards sneeze was, I didn't know what I was watching for, but after seeing the video, Rocky's never done that to me yet….. Thank You for the info, i'll be watching for it, and now I know what to do. :2thumbs:

OP
FORDE'SMOM

FORDE'SMOM

Jun 17, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Forde
Omg is that what that is... Zeus doesn't it.. I get all freaked out and try the Heimlich maneuver. Lol.. I thought he had something in his throat.

lol....:) the first time Forde did it i thought omg, he can't breath, he's going to die........although it only last a minute or two if not stopped it seems like forever!

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Wilson does it from time-to-time. He did it again this evening. I thank this board cause without it I wouldn't have known what was wrong the first time he did it. I had read some posts on here a couple of years back so I knew was it was and I wasn't alarmed. :)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.