no more petsmart for us..

ZeusCsmommy

May 9, 2013
Stockton, California, United States
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
ok so i usually take Zeus to get bathed at petsmart.. we have done petco once didnt like it at all... well this last time we took him to petsmart the guy who did it came out and said.." i didnt do his face because he didnt like it and he also didnt let me get near his paws".. really thats the first ive ever heard from anyone at petsmart.. usually the girl that does him does a great job.. petite girl can was him better than this big guy.. so i told my husband we need to start doing it ourselves again... we havent done it for a while he got to heavy for me to pick him up into the bathtub. well anyways we did it ourselves yesterday.. yes we made a big giant mess but we got it done... he looks great.. i just have a few questions..
what kind of shampoos are you guys using?
is there something that works better for all white dogs??
is there something else i should buy to wash their face? ( he does get tear stains)
How do i properly place cotton balls in his ears? (im scared they will get stuck)

any other tips you guys have for a person learning to do this all over again are greatly appreciated...

Last edited:

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, we also stopped taking them to Petsmart, as the last two times they were groomed there, they came back smelling like dog still, they didn't smell clean. We bathed them ourselves until they were about 8 months old, and then they were getting too heavy. I then found a local groomers where we buy our Fromms food, and the owner who is from Australia, has this cute little store where she sells only high quality 5 or 6 star foods, she also sells toys, and clothes, and collars. She is expensive though, it costs us $120 for a bath, but they smell so nice when they come from there. We started to bathe them ourselves again as we usually bath the guys every second week, and we bought a really nice shower head with a sprayer, so it's a lot easier on the back. We use Petsmart tearless puppy shampoo with chamomile and oatmeal. We also use apple cider vinegar mixed with warm water as a final rinse. We shampoo them rinse them, and then pour the Apple cider vinegar mixture over their bodies, not their faces, and leave it on for about two minutes, then rinse it off. It makes their fur really soft, and gets rid of the shampoo residue, plus I find that it keeps them smelling nicer longer In between their baths. I also find it helps to keep my white bully white.

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
I do it myself. It can be a chore to get Ace in the tub, he is getting big and doesn't always, well never really wants to get in there. But once he is in he doesn't mind it. I always have a couple of towels close by to dry him as soon as we are through. He wants to jump out when were done but its wet and slippery on the tub side and tile and I'm afraid he may hurt himself. So I help him out and usually get a little wet in doing so. If you have a zoom groom its an excellent item to have while you are shampooing to scrub and works up a good lather and it helps get all the way to the skin and massages as well. I currently use an colloidal oatmeal based dog shampoo.

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
I don't put any cotton balls in his ears. I just avoid spraying or washing his face while he is in the tub. After he is out and I am drying him off the first towel is pretty damp so I use it to wash his face good and use it to get out any dirt or wetness that may be in his ears. The first towel is to get all the water off and the second to dry as much as possible. My wife uses a towel and hair dryer on the maltese but I don't try the hair dryer thing on Ace. I just dry him as much as possible with the towels and then don't let him outside until he is good and dry. After a bath he is as frisky as they can be. But then after a few moments he wants to lay down and relax. It appears that it relaxes him and he feels good afterwards. I wish I had a walk in shower would make it a lot easier, wouldn't have to navigate the tub sides. I did get an extra long hand held shower massager hose that reaches across the tub al the way to the floor of the tub. It makes it a bunch easier

OP
ZeusCsmommy

ZeusCsmommy

May 9, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
Thanks. I have a walk in closet but right outside there is carpet. So we don't do it there thank u very much for the product tips I will try see which one we prefer.

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
We bathe ourselves too. I swear by mutt nose kava kava shampoo and conditioner. Pretty much everything in that line is amazing and is great on their skin. We've recently been using the anti shedding version and it is actually working well. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington

FORDE'SMOM

Jun 17, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Forde
Same with me .....Petsmart is hit and miss......and never is something i am 100% happy with......many times when i have picked Forde up, his nails did not look as if they have been trimmed as they should have been..he at times does not seem to be clean......also i have arrived early and stood back and watched him get his nails trimmed , the little girl doing it tries to stand at a distance so he will not lick on her or actually touch her ..... it's as if she does not like dogs lol....which to me is utterly ridiculous to work in a pet grooming buisness and not want the dogs or cats to come in contact with you.......i have decided to bath him at home, and being just me it's so hard getting him in and out of the tub, so any ideas on this would be of great help.......i love the summer time where i can take him out on the patio and bath him there :) maybe we should all notify petsmart of how dissatisfied we are with them ( not that it would do any good) and now that i have Forde on fromm food, and i groom him.....i have no need to visit there again...thank goodness :)

OP
ZeusCsmommy

ZeusCsmommy

May 9, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
We bathe ourselves too. I swear by mutt nose kava kava shampoo and conditioner. Pretty much everything in that line is amazing and is great on their skin. We've recently been using the anti shedding version and it is actually working well. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Where do you buy these at?.

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
Check with your vet. Mine has a groomer on site, who I use. The cost is under $25.00 including the nails.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
we use oatmeal shampoo and they only get a bath when really necessary... like twice a year. But in the summer... they are in the pool or under the hose a lot so they do sort of get wash that way too

OP
ZeusCsmommy

ZeusCsmommy

May 9, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
we use oatmeal shampoo and they only get a bath when really necessary... like twice a year. But in the summer... they are in the pool or under the hose a lot so they do sort of get wash that way too

He definitely needs showers every other month. Your fur kids stay clean so long. How do u keep them clean. Any advice.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.