anyone else have a bully with this type of tail? Very difficult to clean... any suggestions

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
Oliver and Sebastian have tight cinnabun tails but no issues with the pocket. I reach my finger every so often (probably not as often as I should) and it's dry as a bone in there and no stinky stuff. Remy has a regular long tail so no pocket for him either but you can't get anywhere near his bum LOL

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
[MENTION=2152]kim n the guys[/MENTION] don't forget to pull the loose fur out. When we took Mona to this new vet for the first time I was shocked at how much hair he pulled out.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I've tried a variety of things --- all fabulous EBN suggestions -- over the last three years. Bea's tail pocket is deep and teeny. We started cleaning it when she was a puppy because I knew it was going to be an on-going thing. She doesn't like it -- but she knows she has to put up with it.
1) Mal-A-Ket Wipes (and the competitor's version) worked good - Bea hates the smell for some reason.
2) Cleaning with hypoallergenic baby wipes and THEN shooting a blast of jock itch type powder (@cowsmom - what the hell is that stuff called?) into the tail pocket when it's clear there is yeast present. Bea sees that picnic style ketchup bottle coming and KNOWS what it is. She does NOT like the blast of air and powder into her tail pocket - at all. AT ALL. LOL
3) Duoxo wipes (current regimen). Duoxo also has a foam mousse now - and I have that. I spray some onto the wipe for more medicinal power. She doesn't mind the smell of these so there's less fussing. I also wash her tail pocket during a bath with Duoxo shampoo --- leaving it on for a time (read directions). Helps a heap.

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
Mabel's tail is the same--a little shorter. I have to keep a hand under her belly to keep her standing because when I go for her tail now, she tries to,sit on it!

Abby&Jacks Mom

May 1, 2013
connecticut
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
abigail & jackson
Hi my cesar let him rest in peace had a corkscrew tail. I used cotton ball s and gold bond powered everyday to keep it dry. That work ed fine but when he had baths I really need ed to dry in there well if I didnt he would get an infec:D tion fast! Lucky now abby and jacks tails are straight and easy to powder
:sunny::sunny::sunny:

Used

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
Ok, so I know I am going to get a few laughs on this one but Amber has a tight tail and a deep tail pocket. I have been cleaning hers since she was a puppy so she is use to getting it done regularly. Recently, we bought home Ambers sister Ruby and she too has a tight tail and I won't really know about how deep the tail pocket gets until she has grown some more, anyway, in trying to keep up with two tails and pockets we had some old water piks in the storage shed that we weren't using anymore but just boxed them up. Well, to make a long story short, that water pik works great to push under the tail and clean deep into the tail pocket. I make up a solution of lemon, water, vinegar and clean it out with the water pik and then go back in with the cloth diapers and use witch hazel plus a little foot powder. It works like a charm, best use for a water pik I could think of, :rofl::rofl:It is high pressure enough to go in deep and not too much pressure to cause any problems, only thing is make sure you have a tarp or something on the floor or go outside because you will have water everywhere. Oh and to get the powder in there I use one of those baby nose cleaning blubs; you pour the powder in a bowl then suck up the powder with the plastic blub, put it under the tail area and sqeeze the blub to expel the powder. It works great. Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
L

Little miss Maggie

Aug 23, 2012
Washington
Bulldog(s) Names
Magnolia
it's difficult to get in there and keep the tail pocket clean (its tricky to even tell where the pocket is? Anyone have this type of tail on their bully? Do you have any suggestions. Maggie REALLY doesn't like it when I try to get in there to clean....View attachment 41942

UPDATE: we took the vets recommendation and had her tail removed. Sounds severe but the healing is much faster and better than her spay. I think it will be a great thing for Maggie.

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
it's difficult to get in there and keep the tail pocket clean (its tricky to even tell where the pocket is? Anyone have this type of tail on their bully? Do you have any suggestions. Maggie REALLY doesn't like it when I try to get in there to clean....View attachment 41942

Remi has a very short tail, and believe it or not, it took me a long time to realize wtf a tail pocket even was. One day, I got a product called vetercyn and I went into him like a bat out of hell. The smell that I found in his tailpocket was appalling. It was the first time I had cleaned it in a year. So kudos to you for doing this.

I just clean it with vetercyn and then dry it when I'm done. Once a week should be good on most dogs. IMO.

xoxoxo.

(PS: I clean it at night when we're all tired, and he doesn't seem to mind it. Which is strange because he makes a bigger deal of smaller things)

shani

Jul 10, 2013
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
daffodil
My bulldog is a year old. She is also my first dog. I thought her tail was perfectly lopped and so did the vet upon her initial inspection. I read about pockets and poked around, but found nothing major to clean. Her scooting alarmed me and she stopped pooping so much. I took her to emergency one night and had xrays and she was checked for constipation (digital) I was told she had heartburn and to give her pepcid ac. The last vet appointment was an overall check up and to address her "still" scooting. There was a diagnosis of allergies and the appt was coming to an end when I asked that her tail pocket be cleaned. "we will charge you for that" was the reply. I said "I don't care, please clean it well and I will take over from there." Next a tech comes in: "Doctor do you mind coming to take a look at this?" Next thing I know my baby is coming in the examining room from the back yiping on her butt until she was under my chair and the vet is getting me a surgery referral. I begin to leave, freaked out, and Daffodil can't even walk. Clearly upset I ask for more help. I was given pain killers and told her tail has grown "inside" her. What had looked like a lopped tail - a healthy one - for over a year, had been cleaned out and the skin pulled from under it exposing a tail that went directly inside her over four inches. She in pain.
I had to wait two days for surgery because they said it wasn't life and death, even though I brought her in to the surgery clinic thinking they should have a good look. Daffodil had a complete caudectomy (tail amputaion) and I knew there was no other way to give her releif. She is beside me now still healing - it's day 5 - from her surgery. The surgeon was board certified (about as much school as a human doc) and assured me her spinal cord stopped long before the tail Although this was common, Daffodil's ingrown tail was impressive. Here are pictures. I feel horrible for not knowing ahead of time, but I think she will be fine. IMG_5887.jpgIMG_5896.jpgIMG_5910.jpg the last photo shows some irritaion that I am keeping a very close eye on.

Last edited:

4WHLN

"Hit me baby one more time!"
Dec 4, 2011
Baton Rouge, La
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Dooley Bulldogs
Um question...... I've looked and watched the video. Do all EBD have this pocket? I can't find it on Dooley. Is it possible he does not have one?

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Winston's tail is looped like that too... I'm a little worried now! Ugh...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
@GoldenRod Seriously, there are NO stupid questions and please don't ever feel embarrassed!!!
The "tail pocket" is the area around their tails. Their tails are kinda like "inny" belly buttons, there's an area inside where their tail is that accumulates fur and can get infected because its such a tight area. You have to clean that area out with wipes and pull the fur out. Believe me, you want to make sure you do this because it can get infected and not only stink to high heaven but also can get so bad surgery is needed. Does this help at all? I have to use two fingers to get in there to pull the fur out, its a very tight enclosure.

Ok...I still feel stupid. I don't see or feel a pocket? This is Brie's tail..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 110

marianne

May 17, 2012
WV
Bulldog(s) Names
Jenna
Jenna also has a tail pocket...she's not thrilled but does tolerate cleaning...i use baby wipes, then pads with witch hazel and will put some destin in the pocket if she seems itchy...seems to work for her...if you have trouble getting in the pocket good maybe a q-tip would work

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Ok...I still feel stupid. I don't see or feel a pocket? This is Brie's tail..

It is possible to have no pocket depending on the tail type .
Im attaching a picture of dukes tail- like I said no pocket, duchess on the other hand has a small pocket but a different tail type also- I don't have a pic handy of we tail

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 93

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.