anyone else have a bully with this type of tail? Very difficult to clean... any suggestions

Little miss Maggie

Aug 23, 2012
Washington
Bulldog(s) Names
Magnolia
it's difficult to get in there and keep the tail pocket clean (its tricky to even tell where the pocket is? Anyone have this type of tail on their bully? Do you have any suggestions. Maggie REALLY doesn't like it when I try to get in there to clean.... tailphoto.jpg

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
yes! My Momo has a tail like that. Actually, her's is a little shorter if you can believe that. Let me see if I have a picture of her bum....
To answer your question, maybe try giving her a treat with one hand and holding it so she has to work at eating it, while you dig out her tail pocket. Mona doesn't mind her's being cleaned but it is hard to get all the way back and down in there to dig out the fur.

Hope this helps......

Attachments

• IMG_0384.jpg
    IMG_0384.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 331
Last edited:

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
yes! My Momo has a tail like that. Actually, her's is a little shorter if you can believe that. Let me see if I have a picture of her bum....
To answer your question, maybe try giving her a treat with one hand and holding it so she has to work at eating it, while you dig out her tail pocket. Mona doesn't mind her's being cleaned but it is hard to get all the way back and down in there to dig out the fur.

Hope this helps......

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
I haven't had to deal with tail pocket issues but I keep wondering if a [h=1]Waterpik Ultra Water Flosser thing might make it easier. Warm water would be a lot easier than digging around and you could add the appropriate cleaning agent to it and blow dry or something.[/h]

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
[MENTION=6176]linwhite[/MENTION] Although that's a great idea, I can only seeing it staying wet in there and then causing way more problems. Its so tight in there to begin with. I would just suggest that a treat is given in away that they have to focus on your treat hand, while the other is digging out the excess fur. Its not easy but much better than dealing with the consequences of not doing anything. I would imagine the dog would be afraid of the blow dryer, atleast mine would be. The water wouldn't have enough power to it to flush out the hair - I know this because I have to get atleast two fingers in there to dig /pull out the extra fur.

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
Rocky was on the counter at the vets office yesterday, standing proud until they took a Fecal sample and his Temperature, Then he laid on the counter, and spun himself around like a compass as new people came in and left, So funny, he figured out quickly standing wasn't a good idea in the vets office…

So…. at the Risk of embarrassing the heck out of myself, and only for Rock's sake, What are y'all talking about in "Tail Pocket"?

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
[MENTION=8699]GoldenRod[/MENTION] Seriously, there are NO stupid questions and please don't ever feel embarrassed!!!
The "tail pocket" is the area around their tails. Their tails are kinda like "inny" belly buttons, there's an area inside where their tail is that accumulates fur and can get infected because its such a tight area. You have to clean that area out with wipes and pull the fur out. Believe me, you want to make sure you do this because it can get infected and not only stink to high heaven but also can get so bad surgery is needed. Does this help at all? I have to use two fingers to get in there to pull the fur out, its a very tight enclosure.

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
@GoldenRod Seriously, there are NO stupid questions and please don't ever feel embarrassed!!!
The "tail pocket" is the area around their tails. Their tails are kinda like "inny" belly buttons, there's an area inside where their tail is that accumulates fur and can get infected because its such a tight area. You have to clean that area out with wipes and pull the fur out. Believe me, you want to make sure you do this because it can get infected and not only stink to high heaven but also can get so bad surgery is needed. Does this help at all? I have to use two fingers to get in there to pull the fur out, its a very tight enclosure.

I've only seen the top of Rocky's tail, which runs directly off of his back, I didn't know to look for a pocket, but I have gotten a bunch of Baby wipes in waiting for Mal-A-Ket wipes that I can't find locally, until my vet told me yesterday, he kept a form of the Mal-A-Ket wipes, and the name sounded similar to Mal-A-Ket, but spelled differently, but from him explaining them, I knew it was a spin off, or Mal-A-Ket wipes were a spin off of one another. We both looked and evaluated the wrinkles on Rocky's nose, and he asked me what I was using, Do I also need to use the ointment in this area too?

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
I just posted a video of me cleaning out Momo's tail pocket...check it out. Hope it helps

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
I would only think you'd need the ointment if theres an infection. I'm thinking too much moisture is never a good thing...I've heard others put baby powder in there after they wipe to keep the moisture down.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
HRH has a tight curl too. She doesn't really require much done with it though. It never seems to collect anything. She doesn't give me trouble with any of her cleaning routines, but she isn't thrilled I can tell when I do her tail area.

gunnyboy

Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2012
Bradford Pennsylvania
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarge and LuLu
Yes ! my Sarge has atail pocket thats hard to clean, but after awhile you figure out how to lift the tail and angle your finger . Takes practice and all I gotta say is Sarge get on the chair
and hes right there, he loves it and I feel good knowing its really clean. LuLu on the other hand really dosent have a tail pocket to speak about and is easy to clean.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Dolly has an upper innie tail pocket and Griz and Peggy Sue have tight q's like Gracies . been cleaning them since day one so it's no big deal for them, just like a large nose rope, they get use to the treatments

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.