Princess Fiona: handle with care!!!

chikou

Apr 2, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Fiona
I may have posted this in the wrong section.

I am unsure if I am doing good or not enough. So I will explain my every other day routine. Please let me know if this good enough or not at all.

i try to used a shedding comb when I feek it necessary. Then usually i have princess follow me to a shower were I wet her down and lather her up with the tear free soap I bought from local pet store. I spray her body n butt n underbelly and strategically wet her face and lather up. And rinse her down. I then command her to shake off excess water and wrap her up in a big towel. I continue to try to dry her as much I can and concentrating on her head wrinkle and her tail. And try to use any dry part left on the towel to dry her. She is usally almost compeletly dry i then use a hair blower to blow dry any part of her body I was unable to dry off. After blowing her dry I use q tips to clean her ears. And then clip her claws if necessary.

I have a few question

1) am i giving her too many baths?

2) what do i do about eye care? (ie: cherry eye issues and etc) Nose care? teeth?

Sorry still learning

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Well the actual bath routine sounds fine. And if she accepts the hairdryer that's wonderful.
However bathing too frequently can cause issues with dry skin.
Typically baths are only needed about once a month.
For some even less. As long as they are eating a food that agrees with them and doesn't cause that "doggy smell" because of allergic reaction to it.

OP
chikou

chikou

Apr 2, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Fiona
Well I honestly canā€™t smell her but my wife nose is more sensitive to her smell then me. I am transitioning her from Purina puppy chow to merrick puppy chicken and peas .. But Silly me instead of slowing changing her diet i did it in one day, it did not sit well with her and her stool became mushy and in consistent. So i have change that route and am slowly doing half and half at the moment and it seems to be helping solidifying her stool back to Tootsie rollish look. My wife does say her smell has gotten better, since the transition. I donā€™t know if i should get an Allergy test for her or not. My wife is very adamant about not allowing her to pee/poop in the house so I have train her to only do it outside on the grass. I have to figure out something new because recently it rain and poor girl didnā€™t want to get wet so she didnā€™t want to go outside on the grass. I went outside with her with an umbrella and stayed with her till she took care of business. I have read that sometimes EB can have chicken allergies so I hope that is not the case with Princess. And i give her lots of bath because she loves to just roll around in the grass/dirt (usually wet from wife watering plants and etc).

I LOVE THAT PICTURE in yoru Signature

Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Food does have a lot to do with a smell on the bully.... try to avoid chicken and grains, they seem to be the biggest issues with allergies and smelly. Try not to bathe more than once a month... losing the natural oils can cause skin issues (dryness).

Teeth, you can brush, if you can or just get bones and/or antlers these help keep the teeth clean.
Nose -- anything specific you are referring to?
Eyes.. any current issues?

OP
chikou

chikou

Apr 2, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Fiona
Nose: nothing in particular. ..

Eye just red eyes from allergies. .. when she outside too long they get red... are there any eye solution like clear eye for us human

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Nose: nothing in particular. ..

Eye just red eyes from allergies. .. when she outside too long they get red... are there any eye solution like clear eye for us human

You can use human solution for the pups.... [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] what was it you use?

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
Your baby is adorable :drawheart:. Lots of good advice here. If you have to bath once every two week. Once a month even better in between baths I get bath wipes from the pet store and wipe Fergus down when he gets dirty. I would not use a q tip you could end up too far in the ear canal. I use either a wipe or a cotton ball to clean the inside of the ear taking care not to go in too far. I do put snout soother on his nose every other day. I do wipe his face/ wrinkles with witch hazel pads every other day.

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
I don't think I can add anything to this except for the Biobalm I use on Mabel's nose. Her nose is black again. We have seen a big reduction in the bumpies on her nose too. They peel away and leave nice soft, smooth nose tissue.

lovemydog

Apr 16, 2013
Wichita, KS
Country
Hong Kong
Bulldog(s) Names
Angus (2011-2013), Orrla (2009-2020), Dugall
Angus is my first dog ever. Every other day, I brush him, use warm water plus baker soda to wipe him, then conditioning. Thought that I cleaned his tail, until one day, there's a bunch of hair fell off from his behind, screaming, ran to see the vet. Then I realize that he has a screw tail, inverted and tight. Our Vet taught me how to use a finger roll up Malacetic wipes to clean his tail pocket, oh, there's a pocket, i didn't know. First few times, it was too tight to get in, now it's much easier. Angus hates the smell of Malacetic wipes, I use the unscented baby wipe, then baby powder to dry it, only use Malacetic wipe occasionally. In summer, instead of wipe, I use oatmeal shampoo to clean his tail, towel plus baby powder to dry it, he enjoys it very much...

OP
chikou

chikou

Apr 2, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Fiona
Thanks for all the help going to make a shopping list

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
To keep wrinkles and tail pockets clean, I use the witch hazel pads. Its a natural astringent so you don't have to worry about drying the area afterwards!!

OP
chikou

chikou

Apr 2, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Fiona
This year has been a roller coaster ride for me and my family. My wife and I were expecting another child, but we lost the baby at 2 months. During this last couple of months I havent been as active on here or reading as much as I should. Due to the recent events and general life events IE: stress at work, and my stupid GOUT flares (horrible medical conditions that feels like nails going through your feet). I have to confess that alot of the general care of my princess has fallen on my spouse. Neither I or my spouse has ever had a dog of our own and princes is our first as you all may have read. I feel horrible, since yeasterday when I finally got around to trying out the ACV wash there were alot of things I didnt notice and thougt my wife was paying attention too. I FEEL LIKE A BAD OWNER, Princess tail pocket is losing hair, and there is a spot where there no hair at all.. one of her wrink folds on her nose rob is also losing hair. I am starting to panick and I am SO MAD at myself. My poor princess, this is all due to my lack of attention to detail lately. I feel like the last couple of weeks I have been in zombie mode, and worst my poor dog is being neglected. I have decided to put myself on a strict schedule to make up for my lack of care.

Please helpe me come up with a good schedule so I can tend to my precious Bully.

This is my schedule and wife schedule

6am wake up let her outside to do her business and feed her (she is kept in a enclosed 5 by 5 cage because my family has alot of herbs growning in the backyard)
7am-5pm my wifes gets up and bring her back in the house and lets her out side ever few hours

5pm i get home i let her out for dinner, and then usually i play fetch with her

I Feel really uneducated maybe I am doing things wrong. I used to give her baths every other day so these issues would have never surface, but i stop doing this because i read too much bath was bad for her. But now i jsut wipe her behind with wipes and her wrinkle with wipes. But again i have been neglecting my duties due to personal health issues and a busy scheduel and my wife has been doing these things... *SIGH* SO BUM OUT

Should i be wiping her wrinkles every single day? or only when she gets wet from the sprinkler system when we play fetch?

should i be wiping her butt/tail pocket every day?

I may end up going back to the bath every other day, it seem that she was so much healthier and didnt have these issues.

any suggestion are welcome and appreciated.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Oh Honey, wish I was there right now to give you & wife a BIG HUGE HUG
and a butt scratching for Fiona.

Please accept my sincerest condolences for the loss of your precious baby,
I'm so sorry...I can't imagine the strength it's taking you & wife to get up
every day and function at all.

You are doing the very best you can, please forgive yourself for letting some
things slide a little. My bullies (I've had 2) have both gotten the same issues
as this, it happens to all of us. She will be just fine and the hair will come back.
Many on here will have helpful suggestions on a routine for her care.

I just want to send prayers of love, comfort, strength & HEALING your way.
For you and all your family, please come here often and let us support you.
We all need that so very much, EBN is family and we care about you...GOD bless!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.