Tear Stains

Hannah

Dec 16, 2012
Las Vegas
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer, Hannah and Mia
Hi, I have been fighting tear stains on Hannah. I have been using some of the tips on other forums and they seem to work. My question is do they ever go away for good or is this a constant battle. Hannah turns 1 year old next month and the vet wants to run allergy tests on her. Hopefully we can find out what is going on. Thank you for your help.

L

Lucy-licious

Finding the cause and fighting that first is the key, then you can get I'd if the stains easily and they will be more likely to stay away.
Allergies is a common cause of tear staining, these could be environmental, but are most likely food related. Allergies in Bulldogs are common, the most common being Chicken and Grains. Salmon although not a common allergen, can cause yeast buildup, so unless this is your only other option I would avoid it.
Go for the best food you can afford, Fromms seems to be popular amongst many members here, but check the food ratings article, you can find it through the home page, for other foods that are good.
Food ratings,
http://www.englishbulldognews.com/content.php?219-Dog-Food-Ratings
understanding food labels
http://www.englishbulldognews.com/c...g-Dog-Food-Labels-and-Finding-Bad-Ingredients

Last edited:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Sometimes changing food will do the trick and sometimes it's environmental, or even the water they drink. Finding the cause is a challenge. Try their food first, or try giving filtered water, to see if it helps.

Annie1991

Community Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Longview, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Punk'N
I used to use Angel Eyes on Punk, but since I added Wilderness Salmon to her Royal Canin, she has not had any tear stains.

Gummiente

Apr 8, 2013
Grey County, Ontario, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir George of Grey County
Interesting. I had tear stain issues with my George and recently switched his food to Royal Canin Bulldog, now his eyes don't leak anywhere near as much. Wasn't until I read this thread that I realised the food had gotten rid of the problem.

Trod1

Jul 2, 2012
Michigan
Bulldog(s) Names
Olive, Oscar
I have a problem with Olive's tear stains too. She even tears on a total homemade diet with no kibble so I know her allergies are at least partially environmental. Along with a good diet and filtered water Zyrtec or Benadryl may also help. I don't use the med much because it makes my Bully very sleepy. Witch hazel works very well removing the staining. Good Luck:)

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Remi is allergic to the environment, like grass, pollen, etc. After going through everything we could and different foods, we landed on angel eyes, and they are completely gone. We're now only giving it to him 4x a week. I definitely recommend you try everything else first, because let me tell you, angel eyes isn't cheap!

Annie1991

Community Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Longview, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Punk'N
I have switched Punk back to nothing but Royal Canin - she hated the Wilderness. So far, no tear stains since the change back. Amazon.com has Angel Eyes that is cheaper than the website. I have tried different foods on her and she will only eat RC. She does fine on it - no tear stains, coat is good, no poo problems - a very healthy bully.

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
Brie has tear stains that seem to come and go? How do I figure out if its food or environment? She is currently eating Fromm puppy gold. We switched her from euk puppy growth to RC, she still had them. When we switched from RC to From. It cleared for a bit but now it's back.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Brie has tear stains that seem to come and go? How do I figure out if its food or environment? She is currently eating Fromm puppy gold. We switched her from euk puppy growth to RC, she still had them. When we switched from RC to From. It cleared for a bit but now it's back.

She is young right... may take some time for them to go away. But, keep in mind they can be an issue due to environmental issues

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
Yes, she is 6 1/2 mos. I think she has some allergies, she used to have some dander and at times after being outside would have mild breathing stuff which would clear up relatively soon after. Her dander is gone but the tear stuff is still here or is back again. I guess I will just keep cleaning daily n see what happens?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yes, she is 6 1/2 mos. I think she has some allergies, she used to have some dander and at times after being outside would have mild breathing stuff which would clear up relatively soon after. Her dander is gone but the tear stuff is still here or is back again. I guess I will just keep cleaning daily n see what happens?

yea... personally I would do the cleaning and try not to obsess on it right now. she still has a lot of growing to do and most allergies do not show up till after 1 yr old

FORDE'SMOM

Jun 17, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Forde
forde use to have the so bad when on nutro natural choice, lamb and rice.......never thought of being cause by his food...switched to blue buffalo and instantly went away.....although i went from bb to fromm which is WONDERFUL :) !!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.