Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tear Stains

Bulldog(s) Names
    Dozer, Hannah and Mia
    Likes (Received)

Default Tear Stains

Hi, I have been fighting tear stains on Hannah. I have been using some of the tips on other forums and they seem to work. My question is do they ever go away for good or is this a constant battle. Hannah turns 1 year old next month and the vet wants to run allergy tests on her. Hopefully we can find out what is going on. Thank you for your help.

Lucy-licious

Default Re: Tear Stains

Finding the cause and fighting that first is the key, then you can get I'd if the stains easily and they will be more likely to stay away.
    Allergies is a common cause of tear staining, these could be environmental, but are most likely food related. Allergies in Bulldogs are common, the most common being Chicken and Grains. Salmon although not a common allergen, can cause yeast buildup, so unless this is your only other option I would avoid it.
    Go for the best food you can afford, Fromms seems to be popular amongst many members here, but check the food ratings article, you can find it through the home page, for other foods that are good.
    Food ratings,
    http://www.englishbulldognews.com/co...g-Food-Ratings
    understanding food labels
    http://www.englishbulldognews.com/co...ad-Ingredients
    Last edited by Lucy-licious; 03-22-2013 at 10:59 AM.

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

Sometimes changing food will do the trick and sometimes it's environmental, or even the water they drink. Finding the cause is a challenge. Try their food first, or try giving filtered water, to see if it helps.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Bulldog Walker Become a 4 Paw Member Annie1991's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Punk'N (bg), Lilly (corgi - 09.24.08 - 03.07.13), Missy (mixed), Mickey (rescue bd - RIP 02.13.15)
    Likes (Received)

I used to use Angel Eyes on Punk, but since I added Wilderness Salmon to her Royal Canin, she has not had any tear stains.

Real Name
    Mike
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sir George of Grey County
    Likes (Received)

Interesting. I had tear stain issues with my George and recently switched his food to Royal Canin Bulldog, now his eyes don't leak anywhere near as much. Wasn't until I read this thread that I realised the food had gotten rid of the problem.

Bully Bootie Duty Become a 4 Paw Member Trod1's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tina
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Olive, Oscar
    Likes (Received)

I have a problem with Olive's tear stains too. She even tears on a total homemade diet with no kibble so I know her allergies are at least partially environmental. Along with a good diet and filtered water Zyrtec or Benadryl may also help. I don't use the med much because it makes my Bully very sleepy. Witch hazel works very well removing the staining. Good Luck
    In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog.

Doggie Boutique Owner christyjulene's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christy
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abbey
    Likes (Received)

Glad you decided to join us here!
    Abbey is looking for a forever home

Arts'y bulldog farts'y Become a 4 Paw Member ModernFemme's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jane
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sir Remington (Remi)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Remi is allergic to the environment, like grass, pollen, etc. After going through everything we could and different foods, we landed on angel eyes, and they are completely gone. We're now only giving it to him 4x a week. I definitely recommend you try everything else first, because let me tell you, angel eyes isn't cheap!

Bulldog Walker Become a 4 Paw Member Annie1991's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Punk'N (bg), Lilly (corgi - 09.24.08 - 03.07.13), Missy (mixed), Mickey (rescue bd - RIP 02.13.15)
    Likes (Received)

I have switched Punk back to nothing but Royal Canin - she hated the Wilderness. So far, no tear stains since the change back. Amazon.com has Angel Eyes that is cheaper than the website. I have tried different foods on her and she will only eat RC. She does fine on it - no tear stains, coat is good, no poo problems - a very healthy bully.

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brie
    Likes (Received)

Brie has tear stains that seem to come and go? How do I figure out if its food or environment? She is currently eating Fromm puppy gold. We switched her from euk puppy growth to RC, she still had them. When we switched from RC to From. It cleared for a bit but now it's back.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lisabear123 View Post
    Brie has tear stains that seem to come and go? How do I figure out if its food or environment? She is currently eating Fromm puppy gold. We switched her from euk puppy growth to RC, she still had them. When we switched from RC to From. It cleared for a bit but now it's back.
    She is young right... may take some time for them to go away. But, keep in mind they can be an issue due to environmental issues
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brie
    Likes (Received)

Yes, she is 6 1/2 mos. I think she has some allergies, she used to have some dander and at times after being outside would have mild breathing stuff which would clear up relatively soon after. Her dander is gone but the tear stuff is still here or is back again. I guess I will just keep cleaning daily n see what happens?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads