Shedding, shedding, shedding! Make it STOP!

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
Brie has been off the salmon oil for almost a week and wow there is a lot more hair everywhere then before. Strange how quickly the effects of stopping it and starting occur. She is def going back on it this week!

Jonel

Jun 27, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sherman
Sherman was like a hair machine. I was very unhappy. I mentioned it to my new vet who specializes and shows his own EB and he recommended Show Stopper. I got a small container on Amazon and I put 1/2 the recommended dose in Sherman's food and I swear it has cut dwn the shedding by 80 percent.

frankthetank

Jul 4, 2013
Panama City, Panama
Country
Panama
Bulldog(s) Names
Angus (2002-2013), Frank 2 years old
Frank is shedding too much! Today I gave him a bath ( I give him one every two weeks with Earthbath Oatmeal shampoo ) and he lost too much hair. It is all in the same line, in the back and it seems the hair texture is changing to a more coarse one. Could it be the blower? I can't remember my Angus shedding like this. Frank's skin looks healthy, I don't see any red spots or itching, but take a look at him in this picture I just took today (he is 16 weeks old), anybody has any suggestion? I am worried :scared:

IMG_1172.jpg

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
@frankthetank It could be he is loosing puppy fur, allergies, or mange. That is a lot of hair loss. What food is he eating? Try not bathing him so much and add a Vinger rinse (leave on for 5 mins and dry do not rinse off) and only brush him once a day. If you dont notice any scabbing, dryness or bumps and the area is not filling in with new hair I would take him to the vet to do a skin scrape test for mange. Hopefully @Sherry, @cowsmom, @desertskybulldogs might have some suggestions

Last edited:

frankthetank

Jul 4, 2013
Panama City, Panama
Country
Panama
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you [MENTION=8050]Ashleym[/MENTION] for your advise. I have been so worried today! This started about 3 weeks ago but with this last bath it got worse. I did the Vinager rinse today after the bath. His skin doesn't look dry, nor redish and doesn't have any bumps. I do notice the hair in that area is thicker. He is eating TOTW Pacific Stream for puppies, a bit of Wellness canned salmon on top oh his kibbles, yogurt, cottage cheese and boiled egg twice a week, all as instructed by the breeder. I started giving him Angel Eyes for his tear stains 2 weeks ago after trying all kinds of home remedies, they are getting better. I just got the vitamins Nuvet which will start giving tomorrow. I also have the salmon oil but do not want to start until I see how he does with the vitamins. I don't know what else to do!! Vets here in Panama are not that experts on bulldogs. For what I have read on this site, you all know more about bulldogs than all the vets here put together!!

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
Thank you @Ashleym for your advise. I have been so worried today! This started about 3 weeks ago but with this last bath it got worse. I did the Vinager rinse today after the bath. His skin doesn't look dry, nor redish and doesn't have any bumps. I do notice the hair in that area is thicker. He is eating TOTW Pacific Stream for puppies, a bit of Wellness canned salmon on top oh his kibbles, yogurt, cottage cheese and boiled egg twice a week, all as instructed by the breeder. I started giving him Angel Eyes for his tear stains 2 weeks ago after trying all kinds of home remedies, they are getting better. I just got the vitamins Nuvet which will start giving tomorrow. I also have the salmon oil but do not want to start until I see how he does with the vitamins. I don't know what else to do!! Vets here in Panama are not that experts on bulldogs. For what I have read on this site, you all know more about bulldogs than all the vets here put together!!

It sounds like you are doing everything right and being a good bully mama :yes:. If the area is starting to look thicker that is a good thing if it doesnt look better in a couple of weeks take to a vet and get a skin scraping done to rule out demodex mange. I also think you might want to change the shampoo maybe a baby shampoo or a puppy shampoo without oatmeal. The vinegar rinse will help rinse out any soap residue. Hopefully one of the experts will be stopping by with some more advise.

Noyes27

Sep 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack

I've got a long haired white & beige cat that LOVES to lay on anything black...
she's obsessed. Wayyyyy back when, we exchanged our fabric furniture for
leather and bought area rugs to match the animals.

Sell those black rugs and get light colored ones, maybe patterned...GOD bless!

Us too, just got leather couches, madness a HUGE difference. And a good vacuum too. I got the shark that specifically has animal hair attachments (for the floor lol not the animal)

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Thank you @Ashleym for your advise. I have been so worried today! This started about 3 weeks ago but with this last bath it got worse. I did the Vinager rinse today after the bath. His skin doesn't look dry, nor redish and doesn't have any bumps. I do notice the hair in that area is thicker. He is eating TOTW Pacific Stream for puppies, a bit of Wellness canned salmon on top oh his kibbles, yogurt, cottage cheese and boiled egg twice a week, all as instructed by the breeder. I started giving him Angel Eyes for his tear stains 2 weeks ago after trying all kinds of home remedies, they are getting better. I just got the vitamins Nuvet which will start giving tomorrow. I also have the salmon oil but do not want to start until I see how he does with the vitamins. I don't know what else to do!! Vets here in Panama are not that experts on bulldogs. For what I have read on this site, you all know more about bulldogs than all the vets here put together!!
there are several things that could be as ashleym stated. have you changed anything in the last 3 weeks such as food, treats, shampoo, carpet cleaner, anything. i would stop all that stuff you are giving him and start over with just dog food. any one of those things could cause allergies. bullies are very sensitive and the least little thing can upset them. im not saying forever but at least until the hair starts growing back. if he is not better soon i would think a vet visit is in order for a scraping to make sure its nothing else. you can add these things back in one at a time and see what happens i would start with the salmon oil then the angel eyes and vitamin giving several days in between.

frankthetank

Jul 4, 2013
Panama City, Panama
Country
Panama
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks again [MENTION=8050]Ashleym[/MENTION] and [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] for your advise. I will stop everything today and just give him the kibbles to see what happens, if as you say hair doesn't grow back in a couple of weeks I will take him to the vet. But I have a question, could it be that he is shedding his puppy fur or do you think this is too much shedding?

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
Thanks again @Ashleym and @cowsmom for your advise. I will stop everything today and just give him the kibbles to see what happens, if as you say hair doesn't grow back in a couple of weeks I will take him to the vet. But I have a question, could it be that he is shedding his puppy fur or do you think this is too much shedding?

IMO its a lot of fur loss. Fergus is 8 months old and when he was shedding his puppy fur we were never able to see skin. Cowsmom gave you great advise. Keep us updated on how he does. BTW Frank is adorable :heart:

goobers mom

Mar 5, 2011
Springfield, Missouri, United States
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Goober, (R.I.P), Carlie(R.I.P.) , Chaps, Glory B, Blis, Kimber, April, and Brenna (RIP) Wendi, Joy,
All mine were shedding bad, but about 2 Months ago started giving all of them coconut oil and no more shedding and I have 5 bullies in the house.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I have 4 bullies and they don't really shed alot. I give them a supplement that is listed on the Forum page under GREAT Products for Bullies. It is made by Kauffman Animal Health.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.