Shedding, shedding, shedding! Make it STOP!

G

General Jackson

not for everybody, but two weeks ago when I started raw feeding, all 5 of mine stopped shedding within 48 hours
How expensive is raw feeding because Jackson is almost 5 months n mainly white n we r drowning in dog hair! We have him on Froom grain free food, salmon oil, deferminator brush n I've never in my life seen so much hair. He has been shedding like this since we brought him home at 10 wks.

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
They are def blowing their coat! Winston is becoming a mini dalmatian again his coat is getting thinner so you can see all of his little spots again! :luv: We brush him with the kong zoom groom to try to keep it under control but I still feel like I am vacuuming non stop!! Black area rugs with a white bulldog, what was I thinking?!! lol

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
I just did a load of HRH's fleeces and the screen in the dryer was packed with hair.... Spring has sprung ;)

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
We have two EB babies, and they shed, but Dozer sheds more than Blossom. It is definetely the time of the year, they are shedding their winter coats, but they seem to shed all the time lol. You wouldn't think so since they have such short hair, but the hairs are like little needles, they weave into the fabric of your clothes and in the car seats, and it's really hard to get it off, the only thing that really works for my clothes is washing them and putting them in the dryer. Lol. As for the house we vacuum then sweep and Swiffer every Wednesday, and on Sundays we vacuum, sweep, swiffer then damp mop, we have hard wood floors throughout the house with an area rug in the living room, so it's pretty easy to keep clean. We bathe the dogs every two weeks usually on a Sunday, I shampoo them, then rinse with warm water, and we do a second rinse with apple cider vinegar and warm water, I mix about half and half, and pour it on their bodies, not on their heads, and leave it on for about 4 or 5 mins, then rinse it off, it makes their fur really soft, and Blossom is all white, and it keeps her fur really white, plus I find it keeps them smelling clean longer in between their baths. After they are dry, we brush them which removes a lot of the loose hairs after their bath, it helps to reduce the shedding between baths as well, we also have the Furminator brush which is supposed to remove the loose hairs from their under coats, I don't know if I see a difference from using it, or whether the baths and brushing are keeping the shedding at bay? But I guess it doesn't hurt. Lol. I hope this helps.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
The other thing that works great to get hair off of your clothes is those stick on fedex sleeves, you put your hand in them like a glove and use the sticky side on anything including the couches. Bonus if you work at an office fedex provides them for free.

This is brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. I am sharing this with my entire office right now, as we speak.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
We have two EB babies, and they shed, but Dozer sheds more than Blossom. It is definetely the time of the year, they are shedding their winter coats, but they seem to shed all the time lol. You wouldn't think so since they have such short hair, but the hairs are like little needles, they weave into the fabric of your clothes and in the car seats, and it's really hard to get it off, the only thing that really works for my clothes is washing them and putting them in the dryer. Lol. As for the house we vacuum then sweep and Swiffer every Wednesday, and on Sundays we vacuum, sweep, swiffer then damp mop, we have hard wood floors throughout the house with an area rug in the living room, so it's pretty easy to keep clean. We bathe the dogs every two weeks usually on a Sunday, I shampoo them, then rinse with warm water, and we do a second rinse with apple cider vinegar and warm water, I mix about half and half, and pour it on their bodies, not on their heads, and leave it on for about 4 or 5 mins, then rinse it off, it makes their fur really soft, and Blossom is all white, and it keeps her fur really white, plus I find it keeps them smelling clean longer in between their baths. After they are dry, we brush them which removes a lot of the loose hairs after their bath, it helps to reduce the shedding between baths as well, we also have the Furminator brush which is supposed to remove the loose hairs from their under coats, I don't know if I see a difference from using it, or whether the baths and brushing are keeping the shedding at bay? But I guess it doesn't hurt. Lol. I hope this helps.

Great tips!

I wish I didn't have such an aversion to the smell of vinegar. I would totally do this if it would help shedding (already do salmon oil - which helps) but don't your pups smell like an Olive Garden salad afterward?

Another tip: get a Dyson vacuum cleaner. There IS a difference. I have the Animal 41 and I'd marry the thing if I could --- that's how much I love it.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
No they don't smell like vinegar after they are dry, it dissapates. You leave the vinegar and water on for aboutb5 minutes, then rinse it off with warm water, it removes all the soap,residue from their fur, and makes them really soft, plus they smell nicer longer in between their baths. When they are dry, you can't smell the vinegar at all.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
How expensive is raw feeding because Jackson is almost 5 months n mainly white n we r drowning in dog hair! We have him on Froom grain free food, salmon oil, deferminator brush n I've never in my life seen so much hair. He has been shedding like this since we brought him home at 10 wks.

I have a thread in the Raw Feeding section about my last purchase and how much I spent.

Yes, raw food keeps good skin condition which helps with the shed. But, right now, my 2 Bullies are shedding their winter coat so it doesn't really matter much that they're on a raw diet. I routinely brush the dog's hair when I take them out to do their business. So, the shedding is minimized in the house.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps

No more expensive than Fromm, but with 5 of these guys I can't keep up with the work, have gone back to Fromm kibble less than a week ago.:crazy: and will be adding my home cooking to their dish again.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps

I do the vinegar rinse, one gallon of water and one cup of vinegar. Just leave it on and dry, no smell and it keeps them smelling very good for a couple of weeks, no hint of vinegar smell either

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
This is brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. I am sharing this with my entire office right now, as we speak.

A former client of mine told me about this prior to us having Bacon, I was there one day when fedex dropped off supplies and they scrambled for them like little kids under a burst pinata it was hysterical.

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Prescott, Wisconsin, United States
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
Loki sheds a bit too. Since he is a walking allergic reaction we started using children's shampoo on him because everything dog friendly made it worse and some of it made him break out in hives all over. We also learned that is is very common for bullies to devolop alopecia over the longer winter months. Loki looked like a spotted dalmatian for a few weeks until the sun finally made a stop in mn

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
[MENTION=9403]Lokismom[/MENTION] what are you feeding him? Also have you tried getting an allergy panel to see what exactly he is allergic to?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online