Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Shedding, shedding, shedding! Make it STOP!

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fergus
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Shedding, shedding, shedding! Make it STOP!

@frankthetank It could be he is loosing puppy fur, allergies, or mange. That is a lot of hair loss. What food is he eating? Try not bathing him so much and add a Vinger rinse (leave on for 5 mins and dry do not rinse off) and only brush him once a day. If you dont notice any scabbing, dryness or bumps and the area is not filling in with new hair I would take him to the vet to do a skin scrape test for mange. Hopefully @Sherry, @cowsmom, @desertskybulldogs might have some suggestions
    Last edited by Ashleym; 07-30-2013 at 11:43 PM.

Real Name
    Regina
    Country
    Panama
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Angus (2002-2013), Frank 2 years old
    Likes (Received)

Thank you @Ashleym for your advise. I have been so worried today! This started about 3 weeks ago but with this last bath it got worse. I did the Vinager rinse today after the bath. His skin doesn't look dry, nor redish and doesn't have any bumps. I do notice the hair in that area is thicker. He is eating TOTW Pacific Stream for puppies, a bit of Wellness canned salmon on top oh his kibbles, yogurt, cottage cheese and boiled egg twice a week, all as instructed by the breeder. I started giving him Angel Eyes for his tear stains 2 weeks ago after trying all kinds of home remedies, they are getting better. I just got the vitamins Nuvet which will start giving tomorrow. I also have the salmon oil but do not want to start until I see how he does with the vitamins. I don't know what else to do!! Vets here in Panama are not that experts on bulldogs. For what I have read on this site, you all know more about bulldogs than all the vets here put together!!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Fergus
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by frankthetank View Post
    Thank you @Ashleym for your advise. I have been so worried today! This started about 3 weeks ago but with this last bath it got worse. I did the Vinager rinse today after the bath. His skin doesn't look dry, nor redish and doesn't have any bumps. I do notice the hair in that area is thicker. He is eating TOTW Pacific Stream for puppies, a bit of Wellness canned salmon on top oh his kibbles, yogurt, cottage cheese and boiled egg twice a week, all as instructed by the breeder. I started giving him Angel Eyes for his tear stains 2 weeks ago after trying all kinds of home remedies, they are getting better. I just got the vitamins Nuvet which will start giving tomorrow. I also have the salmon oil but do not want to start until I see how he does with the vitamins. I don't know what else to do!! Vets here in Panama are not that experts on bulldogs. For what I have read on this site, you all know more about bulldogs than all the vets here put together!!
    It sounds like you are doing everything right and being a good bully mama . If the area is starting to look thicker that is a good thing if it doesnt look better in a couple of weeks take to a vet and get a skin scraping done to rule out demodex mange. I also think you might want to change the shampoo maybe a baby shampoo or a puppy shampoo without oatmeal. The vinegar rinse will help rinse out any soap residue. Hopefully one of the experts will be stopping by with some more advise.

Real Name
    Nikki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mack
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Carol View Post

I've got a long haired white & beige cat that LOVES to lay on anything black...
    she's obsessed. Wayyyyy back when, we exchanged our fabric furniture for
    leather and bought area rugs to match the animals.

Sell those black rugs and get light colored ones, maybe patterned...GOD bless!
    Us too, just got leather couches, madness a HUGE difference. And a good vacuum too. I got the shark that specifically has animal hair attachments (for the floor lol not the animal)

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

there are several things that could be as ashleym stated. have you changed anything in the last 3 weeks such as food, treats, shampoo, carpet cleaner, anything. i would stop all that stuff you are giving him and start over with just dog food. any one of those things could cause allergies. bullies are very sensitive and the least little thing can upset them. im not saying forever but at least until the hair starts growing back. if he is not better soon i would think a vet visit is in order for a scraping to make sure its nothing else. you can add these things back in one at a time and see what happens i would start with the salmon oil then the angel eyes and vitamin giving several days in between.

Real Name
    Regina
    Country
    Panama
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Thanks again @Ashleym and @cowsmom for your advise. I will stop everything today and just give him the kibbles to see what happens, if as you say hair doesn't grow back in a couple of weeks I will take him to the vet. But I have a question, could it be that he is shedding his puppy fur or do you think this is too much shedding?

Bulldog(s) Names
    Fergus
    Likes (Received)

Thanks again @Ashleym and @cowsmom for your advise. I will stop everything today and just give him the kibbles to see what happens, if as you say hair doesn't grow back in a couple of weeks I will take him to the vet. But I have a question, could it be that he is shedding his puppy fur or do you think this is too much shedding?
    IMO its a lot of fur loss. Fergus is 8 months old and when he was shedding his puppy fur we were never able to see skin. Cowsmom gave you great advise. Keep us updated on how he does. BTW Frank is adorable

Real Name
    Regina
    Country
    Panama
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ashleym View Post
    IMO its a lot of fur loss. Fergus is 8 months old and when he was shedding his puppy fur we were never able to see skin. Cowsmom gave you great advise. Keep us updated on how he does. BTW Frank is adorable
    Thanks!

Kennel Cleaner
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Destiny and Maximus
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Vicaroo1000 View Post
    Agreed. Mine are back on Salmon oil and even tho it's "that time of year", it's improved the RELENTLESS shedding a TON. I really do notice a BIG difference.
    Hi, what brand and how much, pls helppp hehe

Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lolita View Post
    Hi, what brand and how much, pls helppp hehe

We use Grizzly Salmon oil, you can get it off Amazon. It comes in a pump bottle, we put 2 pumps every morning at breakfast.

Real Name
    Cindy
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Goober, (R.I.P), Carlie(R.I.P.) , Breezi, LAYLA& PANDA, Hammer, April, and Brenna (RIP) Wendi, Joy,
    Likes (Received)

All mine were shedding bad, but about 2 Months ago started giving all of them coconut oil and no more shedding and I have 5 bullies in the house.

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

I have 4 bullies and they don't really shed alot. I give them a supplement that is listed on the Forum page under GREAT Products for Bullies. It is made by Kauffman Animal Health.
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Remove Ads