Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Shedding, shedding, shedding! Make it STOP!

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fergus
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Shedding, shedding, shedding! Make it STOP!

Is it safe to add salmon oil to by 16 wk old pups kibble and how much should I give him a day?

Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank
    Likes (Received)

My guy is really bad for shedding all year round. I have found the zoom groom is great along with Furminator solution that goes on like conditioner after shampooing. Leave on for 5 minutes, work in really well and rinse. We get shedding relief for about 2 weeks and then time to do it again. It also makes his coat to feel so soft.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Real Name
    Veronica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by desertskybulldogs View Post
    Tilly may be blowing her coat, they do this twice a year. And the rest of the year they shed. Lol

Something that really helps is salmon oil, and a supplement seems to also help. But most of all duct tape can take it off your clothes before leaving the house

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes, Mac seems to "blow is coat" twice a year also. Just happens to be that each "blow" lasts for about oh, say, 6 months each!

General Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Sherry View Post
    not for everybody, but two weeks ago when I started raw feeding, all 5 of mine stopped shedding within 48 hours
    How expensive is raw feeding because Jackson is almost 5 months n mainly white n we r drowning in dog hair! We have him on Froom grain free food, salmon oil, deferminator brush n I've never in my life seen so much hair. He has been shedding like this since we brought him home at 10 wks.

Bulldog Vet in Training Lauren31287's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lauren
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston
    Likes (Received)

They are def blowing their coat! Winston is becoming a mini dalmatian again his coat is getting thinner so you can see all of his little spots again! We brush him with the kong zoom groom to try to keep it under control but I still feel like I am vacuuming non stop!! Black area rugs with a white bulldog, what was I thinking?!! lol

Real Name
    Bruce
    Bulldog(s) Names
    HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
    Likes (Received)

I just did a load of HRH's fleeces and the screen in the dryer was packed with hair.... Spring has sprung

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

We have two EB babies, and they shed, but Dozer sheds more than Blossom. It is definetely the time of the year, they are shedding their winter coats, but they seem to shed all the time lol. You wouldn't think so since they have such short hair, but the hairs are like little needles, they weave into the fabric of your clothes and in the car seats, and it's really hard to get it off, the only thing that really works for my clothes is washing them and putting them in the dryer. Lol. As for the house we vacuum then sweep and Swiffer every Wednesday, and on Sundays we vacuum, sweep, swiffer then damp mop, we have hard wood floors throughout the house with an area rug in the living room, so it's pretty easy to keep clean. We bathe the dogs every two weeks usually on a Sunday, I shampoo them, then rinse with warm water, and we do a second rinse with apple cider vinegar and warm water, I mix about half and half, and pour it on their bodies, not on their heads, and leave it on for about 4 or 5 mins, then rinse it off, it makes their fur really soft, and Blossom is all white, and it keeps her fur really white, plus I find it keeps them smelling clean longer in between their baths. After they are dry, we brush them which removes a lot of the loose hairs after their bath, it helps to reduce the shedding between baths as well, we also have the Furminator brush which is supposed to remove the loose hairs from their under coats, I don't know if I see a difference from using it, or whether the baths and brushing are keeping the shedding at bay? But I guess it doesn't hurt. Lol. I hope this helps.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Baconator View Post
    The other thing that works great to get hair off of your clothes is those stick on fedex sleeves, you put your hand in them like a glove and use the sticky side on anything including the couches. Bonus if you work at an office fedex provides them for free.
    This is brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. I am sharing this with my entire office right now, as we speak.

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Vikinggirl View Post
    We have two EB babies, and they shed, but Dozer sheds more than Blossom. It is definetely the time of the year, they are shedding their winter coats, but they seem to shed all the time lol. You wouldn't think so since they have such short hair, but the hairs are like little needles, they weave into the fabric of your clothes and in the car seats, and it's really hard to get it off, the only thing that really works for my clothes is washing them and putting them in the dryer. Lol. As for the house we vacuum then sweep and Swiffer every Wednesday, and on Sundays we vacuum, sweep, swiffer then damp mop, we have hard wood floors throughout the house with an area rug in the living room, so it's pretty easy to keep clean. We bathe the dogs every two weeks usually on a Sunday, I shampoo them, then rinse with warm water, and we do a second rinse with apple cider vinegar and warm water, I mix about half and half, and pour it on their bodies, not on their heads, and leave it on for about 4 or 5 mins, then rinse it off, it makes their fur really soft, and Blossom is all white, and it keeps her fur really white, plus I find it keeps them smelling clean longer in between their baths. After they are dry, we brush them which removes a lot of the loose hairs after their bath, it helps to reduce the shedding between baths as well, we also have the Furminator brush which is supposed to remove the loose hairs from their under coats, I don't know if I see a difference from using it, or whether the baths and brushing are keeping the shedding at bay? But I guess it doesn't hurt. Lol. I hope this helps.
    Great tips!

I wish I didn't have such an aversion to the smell of vinegar. I would totally do this if it would help shedding (already do salmon oil - which helps) but don't your pups smell like an Olive Garden salad afterward?

Another tip: get a Dyson vacuum cleaner. There IS a difference. I have the Animal 41 and I'd marry the thing if I could --- that's how much I love it.

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

No they don't smell like vinegar after they are dry, it dissapates. You leave the vinegar and water on for aboutb5 minutes, then rinse it off with warm water, it removes all the soap,residue from their fur, and makes them really soft, plus they smell nicer longer in between their baths. When they are dry, you can't smell the vinegar at all.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Bulldog Vet in Training anatess's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by General Jackson View Post
    How expensive is raw feeding because Jackson is almost 5 months n mainly white n we r drowning in dog hair! We have him on Froom grain free food, salmon oil, deferminator brush n I've never in my life seen so much hair. He has been shedding like this since we brought him home at 10 wks.

I have a thread in the Raw Feeding section about my last purchase and how much I spent.

Yes, raw food keeps good skin condition which helps with the shed. But, right now, my 2 Bullies are shedding their winter coat so it doesn't really matter much that they're on a raw diet. I routinely brush the dog's hair when I take them out to do their business. So, the shedding is minimized in the house.

I got Bullied and loving it!
    Bella "Bullie" Rose, adopted on July 24, 2011

Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by General Jackson View Post

No more expensive than Fromm, but with 5 of these guys I can't keep up with the work, have gone back to Fromm kibble less than a week ago. and will be adding my home cooking to their dish again.
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Remove Ads