Shampoo question

speechmom53

Feb 17, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubs
Hi All.....I know, I know.....I have been MIA for a while. I have been going through some stuff lately and I haven't been able to get on here as much as I would have liked. I will post about that in the general non-bulldog talk.

My question has to do with shampoo. Tubs has been having some skin issues. Before I had him on Oatmeal shampoo. He was fine up until about 6 months ago. He seemed to start breaking out in itchy bumps. I am not sure if it has to do with the shampoo or if it was just a coincidence or not but it would happen a couple of days after his bath. I changed his shampoo to sensitive puppy shampoo, but I could not find a conditioner with the same formula. Now we are dealing with dry, itchy skin, but oil, shedding fur.

Questions: Any suggestions on what I can use for a shampoo to help with his dry, itchy skin? Someone told my dad about using mane and tail stuff they use for horses to help with shedding. Does anyone know about this, what it is called and where you can get it?????????

Any help would be great!!!! I plan on giving Tubs a bath tomorrow. He ended up with a really bad sore under his next under his collar. The vet shaved his neck, treated his wound and put him on an antibiotic for it. It is all dried up now and is scabby, so I thought I would help with the rest of his body with a bath!!!!

egghunt3.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, we also use a oatmeal shampoo, but I've read on here that some bully's have allergies or sensitivity to the oatmeal. We shampoo our guys with tearless puppy shampoo with chamomile and oatmeal, and then rinse them really well. We bought a hand held shower head, to make it easier to bathe them. Then we use 1 part apple cider vinegar to 3 or 4 parts apple cider vinegar and pour it over their bodies,not their heads, and then rinse it off. It leaves their fur really soft and shiny, and it is really good for dry skin and fur. I find that they stay fresher smelling longer in between their shampoos as well. We also put 1 Tbsp of apple cider vinegar in their drinking water which is very good for inflammation, killing bacteria, and for boosting the immune system, which will help if he's having allergies.

OP
speechmom53

speechmom53

Feb 17, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubs
Hi, we also use a oatmeal shampoo, but I've read on here that some bully's have allergies or sensitivity to the oatmeal. We shampoo our guys with tearless puppy shampoo with chamomile and oatmeal, and then rinse them really well. We bought a hand held shower head, to make it easier to bathe them. Then we use 1 part apple cider vinegar to 3 or 4 parts apple cider vinegar and pour it over their bodies,not their heads, and then rinse it off. It leaves their fur really soft and shiny, and it is really good for dry skin and fur. I find that they stay fresher smelling longer in between their shampoos as well. We also put 1 Tbsp of apple cider vinegar in their drinking water which is very good for inflammation, killing bacteria, and for boosting the immune system, which will help if he's having allergies.

Thanks so much....I will have to try this out!

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
[MENTION=1863]speechmom53[/MENTION] - I really like this shampoo 21PcbyfNiwL.jpg it comes in Vanilla or Strawberry and it is very gentle

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
[MENTION=1863]speechmom53[/MENTION] - I really like this shampoo View attachment 37335 it comes in Vanilla or Strawberry and it is very gentle
I just may have to try this one. I've moved away from Oatmeal based shampoos.

Good to see you [MENTION=1863]speechmom53[/MENTION] :hiya:

I'm going to move this thread over to the New Grooming section. :2thumbs:

truffle shuffle

Dec 23, 2012
DC area
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk
LOL [MENTION=6311]Vikinggirl[/MENTION] I find it amusing how excited you are about your new shower head, I've seen more than a couple threads (including my own) where you are raving about it. Thanks for the giggle ;)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.