Yellowing of fur.

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
So I give duchess a bath once every week or two using an anti fungal shampoo. She's a dark reverse brindle with a white head, neck, paws. My question is do you guys having any suggestions on brightening her white fur and to keep if from getting a yellow Hugh in between baths. Lookin forward to suggestions!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Why are you bathing her so often? does she have an issue of some type? I am not sure why her fur would yellow, but I will tag [MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION] as she has a few white bullies and may have some advice

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Yes ... I want to ask the same question. Why do you bathe her once a week ... is she smelly ..... yeasty?? If that's the case maybe we need to look at the food she's on.

I'm not using it at the moment ... but a lot of people swear by Selsun Blue shampoo to get their bullies coats really white. It does seem to give a nice sheen to it!

OP
S

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Why are you bathing her so often? does she have an issue of some type? I am not sure why her fur would yellow, but I will tag @kazzy220 as she has a few white bullies and may have some advice

After we battled yeast a few months ago my vet said to bathe her with an anti fungal shampoo once or twice every couple weeks as a preventative.

Emily

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Debo
Petco sells a toning, brightening shampoo called, "Perfect Coat White Pearl" it has a blue tint to help brighten up the whites. They also sell a spray on, leave in conditioner. That's what I use on my all white bully & it really helps!

Bulldogs are angels in fur coats

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Is Duchess yeasty from food allergies or from environmental allergies??

OP
S

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
She was yeasty due to food allergy. I just switched her to home prepared raw and made a fruit and veggie melody for her. Well it had too much sugar and she had an allergie to something as overnight she woke up reverse sneezing and yeasty facial rolls. That was about 4 months ago. We got past that. There are a couple other bulldogs in my neighborhood and they also tend to get a yellowish Hugh on their white Inbetween bathes.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
After we battled yeast a few months ago my vet said to bathe her with an anti fungal shampoo once or twice every couple weeks as a preventative.

yeasty...... need to get that allergy test so you can find out what is triggering her yeast issue

OP
S

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
yeasty...... need to get that allergy test so you can find out what is triggering her yeast issue

It was the fruit veggie melody I starts her I that triggered it. But she hasn't had any of that in months.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
It was the fruit veggie melody I starts her I that triggered it. But she hasn't had any of that in months.

OH.. sorry, I misread that......

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
Lolas fur on her face turns a little ivory which is odd because I wipe down her rolls all the time! I bathe her once a week as well because she smells if I don't and she hasnt had any skin problems from bathing to much. I will be watching this thread to see what I can change also!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
All of our bullies have white on them and we hardy ever bath them and they don't turn yellow, so I'm at a loss at what is causing yours to turn yellow.

babybully

May 31, 2011
Great Lakes, North Chicago
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
[MENTION=6209]Scueva[/MENTION] I bathe once a week, too and that's just how it will always be here. I have a rule, if you live in my house, you must bathe and be clean and even the guinea pig gets a bath. I fill the tub up just a little for him and in he goes! Cleo has allergies though so she has her special shampoo from the vet that we use since moving up here. This IL stuff just kills her poor thing never gets to go outside and lounge anymore. Mac always needs a bath since Cleo can't help herself in mothering him and decides to lick him down all the time. I do however, give them skin supplements in case their skin ever develops an issue with bathing and it's been great so far.

Kahnefan5

Dec 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastian & Thatcher RIP--Cutter 12/01/2003-04/06/2012 & Tug 07/03/2006-07/19/2010
All of our bullies have white on them and we hardy ever bath them and they don't turn yellow, so I'm at a loss at what is causing yours to turn yellow.

Would love to know what you feed your bullies, our's are white and we have the yellowing and have to bath them weekly, we are getting ready to switch their food to Fromm's Beef, so I was curious as to what you are feeding your's :-)

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Beautiful Sarasota, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
So I give duchess a bath once every week or two using an anti fungal shampoo. She's a dark reverse brindle with a white head, neck, paws. My question is do you guys having any suggestions on brightening her white fur and to keep if from getting a yellow Hugh in between baths. Lookin forward to suggestions!

As you can see from my Avatar photo I have two white bullies. Dublin on the right, we have had since she was a puppy and Tio on the left is our new rescue. I have always used Zymox Shampoo on Dublin and she really doesn't need to be bathed that often, but when we got Tio ( he is battling staph infection) and his coat was almost pure yellow and nasty to the touch. I have given him a bath weekly using Zymox ( don't usually bathe dog that much) and now he is as white as Dublin and his coat is beautiful to the touch. Just last evening on our walk the neighbors were commenting how great he looked and how soft he is. From a distance now I can't tell who is who and less than two months ago it was easy to pick out the the "yellow dog" They also have a rinse that you apply after the shampoo. I love it and while it is anti-fungal and anti-bacterial it is very gentle. Dublin has many allergies and this is perfect for her. Good luck.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online