Cleaning your bully's ears..... Need advice

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Ok so duchess is pretty good about her daily grooming needs but when it comes to her ears she hates everything about it. I use witch hazel every other day and after a bath wich is like every 4 weeks I use a wash from my vet. The problem is she hates it and knows when I'm gonna do it. She sees me getting it and she runs. She doesn't mind the wiping of the ear but as you all know you are suppose to inject the solution into the ear cannel and Thad what she hates. She does everything in her power tu get away from me. I've tried treats , sneaking up from behind. Any advice????

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I don't use wash into the ear canal. Just my finger and witch hazel! I imagine Jake would run! He runs now from the Duoxo wipes and even the snout soother! :bang:

Tooleysmom

Community Veteran
Mar 24, 2012
Winnipeg Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Tallulah and Buster
My vet who also has Bullies said it is not necessary and he does not recommend it. I just use an aloe and vitamin E wipe and put over my finger and stick my finger in her ear just like he taught me. I think Miss Tallulah actually likes it. :yes: I can really get in there and she doesn't complain.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Same here, i don't put or pour anything into the ear canal, I use unscented sensitive baby wipes, and clean the exterior of the ear once a wek, and then use a wipe around my finger and clean the canal, and the canal opening, my 2 don't mind it. i start with their eyes first, then i clean their folds, then their ears, and the butt pocket last. They just sit there and let me do it.

Trod1

Jul 2, 2012
Michigan
Bulldog(s) Names
Olive, Oscar
Olive runs too when I try to squirt the solution so I just try and sneak some in when I clean her ear with a moistened cotton ball. She likes the inside of her ear massaged so I just try a trickle and I don't think it bugs her quite as much. Her idea of hiding is standing under an end table where I can still see her whole body. LOL She's never going to win at Hide-N-Seek

Momma2Bullies

Aug 2, 2012
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla and Wilbur
For Wilbur, I can just use my finger and a baby wipe or a Malacetic wipe for his ears. This is enough for him. But for Layla, I have a whole situation to deal with. We have learned that she has genetically super tiny and narrow ear canals... My vet cannot even see down them. She had an ear infection last year, evidenced by tons of wax and goop when I would baby wipe her ear....anyway, standard ear infection drops ( mometemax) was actually too viscous. Her ear canals were way too small and solution built up so bad she lost her hearing until normal evaporation etc. got rid of it ( infection sure cleared up!)

I thought she had another infection now, because her ear seemed so tender and she started to really freak when I came at her with a baby wipe - she even cried out wen I wiped her ear. Took her in, and no infection. The vet thought that because her ear canals are so very small, she had a painful build up of wax. I got a new solution I believe it is called Burroughs, and I use it to dry the ear out and clean it since nature can't really take its course naturally in her ears.

After a week, she is doing awesome! Now I will just use this once in a while to help her.

Now to how I actually accomplish this without chasing her around the dining room table! The only way I can even attempt it (and this will sound mean) is to gently approach her when she is totally asleep or super dopey, like around afternoon nap time. I hold her ear flap firmly and pour it in and keep holding the flap and massage for a few moments. She bolts and shakes her head right away, but I give her a treat so she isn't too mad at me LOL!

She hates it though. Oh and I stealthy wrap a tea towel around the bottle so she doesn't realize I have the drops.... (So mean, I know!):ashamed:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I squirt it in the ear canal, my vet who taught me years ago (we were having a chronic ear infection problem) showed me how to clean it this way. Promised if I did it this way, my ear infection woes would be over. 17 years later I have never had a bully with an ear infection. (Using malecetic ear and skin cleaning solution)

I squirt it in so fast and immediately start a full ear massage. They love it. They don't like the "feeling" when I first put it in so the massage needs to begin immediately.

I massage for a good minute, you should hear a very squishy sound. If you don't hear squishy, you are being too gentle or hardly put any solution in.

Then I wipe out with cotton and a baby wipe wrapped around my finger. They will shake out any access. Repeat with another wipe after that.

The solution + massage breaks up wax, dirt and yeast that is down in the ear canal that no finger can reach. Whatever is left over will dry on its own, because it has drying agents.

NEVER ever use water to clean the ears, and always put cotton in them during bath time.

Using this method you should only have to clean them once every couple of weeks. If there is currently a yeast or bacteria issue (red/brown stuff) do it daily until its clear.

If the ears are healthy, they will have a nice light pink color inside and hardly have any wax or brown/red buildup.

Some bullies with flat ears (not rosed) do not get as much air flow in the ears and should be done more often. Two of my bullies have ears like this and require it more often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I squirt it in the ear canal, my vet who taught me years ago (we were having a chronic ear infection problem) showed me how to clean it this way. Promised if I did it this way, my ear infection woes would be over. 17 years later I have never had a bully with an ear infection. (Using malecetic ear and skin cleaning solution)

I squirt it in so fast and immediately start a full ear massage. They love it. They don't like the "feeling" when I first put it in so the massage needs to begin immediately.

I massage for a good minute, you should hear a very squishy sound. If you don't hear squishy, you are being too gentle or hardly put any solution in.

Then I wipe out with cotton and a baby wipe wrapped around my finger. They will shake out any access. Repeat with another wipe after that.

The solution + massage breaks up wax, dirt and yeast that is down in the ear canal that no finger can reach. Whatever is left over will dry on its own, because it has drying agents.

NEVER ever use water to clean the ears, and always put cotton in them during bath time.

Using this method you should only have to clean them once every couple of weeks. If there is currently a yeast or bacteria issue (red/brown stuff) do it daily until its clear.

If the ears are healthy, they will have a nice light pink color inside and hardly have any wax or brown/red buildup.

Some bullies with flat ears (not rosed) do not get as much air flow in the ears and should be done more often. Two of my bullies have ears like this and require it more often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

This is exactly what I do and ear infections do not happen (fingers crossed it stays that way) - Banks HATES it but once the massage starts she LOVES it

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.