Home mani pedis

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
So I've bought nail clippers for dogs porky runs n hides, dremel forget it she's upstairs under the bed b4 I even turn it on, pedi paws is her new toy n she attacks it plus it doesn't work!!!!!! The one thing I can clip her nails with my foot works toenail clippers wth lol I seriously think its because she sees me using mine (I sell Avon so I have like 12 pairs lol) n when I'm in the bathroom doing it she watches me intently!!!!!! N she also lets me file her nails with the nail file I bought her!!!!! So ill do a nail here n there when needed but haven't caved yet n done all of them grr but every other week driving 40 minutes n spending $20 to do her nails is getting a little rough so imma start doing it myself :(!!!! Three paws have black nails the other paw has white so I'm not worried about that paw but I need advice on cutting the black nails n remember I'm using human clippers since I can't get near her with any others n her vets trick doesn't work with us!!!!!!! They distract her with treats n the girl goes through n snip snip snip, we try that n she runs lol she's a spaz!!!!! But yeah any angel advice or ways to get her to let me use doggy clippers???? N preemptively what do I do if I hit the quick?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
Man. your vet charges a lot to clip nails. Mine is under 10 bucks but if I get a bath or almost anything else, it's free.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I agree.... 20 bucks is expensive. Our vet is free of charge during appointments, under 10 any other time, but Petco is only $10.00

OP
porkysmamma

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
Man. your vet charges a lot to clip nails. Mine is under 10 bucks but if I get a bath or almost anything else, it's free.

I know but I refuse to take her to petco for it n her vet does a great job it's just dang I could get her a lot of toys with the $$ I'd save :D

OP
porkysmamma

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
I agree.... 20 bucks is expensive. Our vet is free of charge during appointments, under 10 any other time, but Petco is only $10.00

Petco n I have had some words in the past lol I am not allowed to bring porky in for any grooming lol

Savannah Boy

Jan 25, 2012
Brunswick, GA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hudson
We've been doing Hudson's nails with a Dremel. He wigged out the first time, so we left it laying around so he could get used to it. He still doesn't like it, but he tolerates it.

OP
porkysmamma

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
We've been doing Hudson's nails with a Dremel. He wigged out the first time, so we left it laying around so he could get used to it. He still doesn't like it, but he tolerates it.

I asked her vet to teach me and she did so we do it at home now n she's reallllllllyyy good about it :) just sits there while I clip n file lol the look is like "mommmmmmm just do it n hurry lol"

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
Mabel seems to like the Dremel. She sleeps while I do her nails!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
ugh yea I have to work on getting Bacon used to the dremel, the clippers we have are not working as well as I would like, he keeps breaking nails.

truffle shuffle

Dec 23, 2012
DC area
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk
I was cosidering getting a dremal, in an effort to save $$, will any work? Any tips on how to start with out drama? Oh, and must I syart with clippers or can I knock them all out with the power tool? sorrry if that's alot, I've just never done Chunk's.... or any non-humans nails before :/

OP
porkysmamma

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
I was cosidering getting a dremal, in an effort to save $$, will any work? Any tips on how to start with out drama? Oh, and must I syart with clippers or can I knock them all out with the power tool? sorrry if that's alot, I've just never done Chunk's.... or any non-humans nails before :/

I can't help with that porky is terrified of the dremal lol we even have pedi paws n nope she runs n hides!!!!

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
I've finally just given up on doing Bruin & Lilly's nails myself. They wiggle and squirm, then I get upset and my energy doesn't help at all. If they see any object in my hand and I reach for their paws, they're outta there. I was bringing them to the vet for $22 EACH. Yup $22, AND 30 min each way. Sounds a lot like your situation. I decided last week to give Petco down the street another chance, I sooo didn't feel like driving to the vet and dishing out $22. Surprisingly the girl was very good AND Bruin was good. I should have got her name and times she works, stupid me! My only problem that i've come across with petco and petsmart is that they put them up on the table with only one person working on them. While the person is working on one side, bruin or lilly is moving to the other side of the table (to get away from the dremel) and all I can picture is them falling off with that stupid 'noose' around their neck :eek: The girl that did it came around the front and did it right on the floor for me. Petco was $15 for me [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] yours is $10...for some reason I thought they had the same pricing everywhere. Unless maybe its 10 for nail clipping and 15 for grind???

Which this brings me to a question.....is it customary to tip the groomers for nail clipping/grinding?? What do you all do? I wouldn't think it would be at a 'big box' store like petco....oooorrr maybe I'm just cheap :confused: That could be it.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I've finally just given up on doing Bruin & Lilly's nails myself. They wiggle and squirm, then I get upset and my energy doesn't help at all. If they see any object in my hand and I reach for their paws, they're outta there. I was bringing them to the vet for $22 EACH. Yup $22, AND 30 min each way. Sounds a lot like your situation. I decided last week to give Petco down the street another chance, I sooo didn't feel like driving to the vet and dishing out $22. Surprisingly the girl was very good AND Bruin was good. I should have got her name and times she works, stupid me! My only problem that i've come across with petco and petsmart is that they put them up on the table with only one person working on them. While the person is working on one side, bruin or lilly is moving to the other side of the table (to get away from the dremel) and all I can picture is them falling off with that stupid 'noose' around their neck :eek: The girl that did it came around the front and did it right on the floor for me. Petco was $15 for me @2BullyMama yours is $10...for some reason I thought they had the same pricing everywhere. Unless maybe its 10 for nail clipping and 15 for grind???

Which this brings me to a question.....is it customary to tip the groomers for nail clipping/grinding?? What do you all do? I wouldn't think it would be at a 'big box' store like petco....oooorrr maybe I'm just cheap :confused: That could be it.

When we are at the vet for any other reason, they will clip no charge, but if we schedule just for a clip it is $20 each. We take them to the Petco just for a clip, no grind (although the girl does grind them for us).... which is why only $10. If we asked for the grind I am sure it would be the $15. Yes, I do tip her... usually 3 or 4 bucks.

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
When we are at the vet for any other reason, they will clip no charge, but if we schedule just for a clip it is $20 each. We take them to the Petco just for a clip, no grind (although the girl does grind them for us).... which is why only $10. If we asked for the grind I am sure it would be the $15. Yes, I do tip her... usually 3 or 4 bucks.

egghunt2.gif

Good to know....:ashamed: When I go again for Lilly I'll have to double up on the tip. I don't feel bad for not tipping for my other experiences since they were highly upsetting to me. Is that the norm? Putting already frightened dogs up on the table (raised at its full height) with only one person. It must be since it happened at both companies.

Last edited by a moderator:

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Good to know....:ashamed: When I go again for Lilly I'll have to double up on the tip. I don't feel bad for not tipping for my other experiences since they were highly upsetting to me. Is that the norm? Putting already frightened dogs up on the table (raised at its full height) with only one person. It must be since it happened at both companies.

Yes, sorry I missed that in your post. It is standard procedure for them to do that with the table/noose -- I went to the same girl up till a few weeks agao, she got fired for always being late :( So, now I go to the manager, got her schedule and only go to her now. Banks has issues with her back paws (very sensitive) as soon as I told her, she sat on the floor and did her nails there, but it really was not necessary. Cheli is real good, he hates it, but he just freezes in place and will not move. Banks is fine on the table, she actully sits the whole time, they usually have to get her to stand up so they can do the back paws.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.