Spring BullyPalooza @ Wonderbar, Ashbury Park NJ April 20th 1-4pm

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
its TODAY ! I got off early from work last night, so I'm 'semi-rested' and we'll be heading out of delaware shortly ! ! ! ! ! :)

Us too. We're leaving the city in a bit.
See ya guys there.

OP
RaRett

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
Us too. We're leaving the city in a bit.
See ya guys there.

We didnt stay for the entire time, we got there at 1230, and Gizmo was being a butt - she really didnt like the bully with the TUTU on which nipped at Hershey - we took them for a walk and then dottie sat in the car while Gizmo snoozed and I went back in, until the raffle... darn thing we really like (everyone liked!) was the concrete bulldog statue. Oh well.

We did have an interesting trip to Bullypoolooza, as we stopped at a rest area, to get rid of the morning coffee, and let the pups take a break, well lo and behold, we get stopped by a couple on the way home to Boston, he works in Watertown, and they were on Vacation. We told them about Bullypoolooza, and that it was an hour up the road (they were going in that direction anyhow) - we get on the turnpike, and there is the Boston Couple, I changed lanes, they changed lanes... YUP they are stalking us to Bullypoolooza ! LOL :) :) it was nice chatting with them, we introduced ourselves while Gizmo was acting up... so I dont remember their names :( but I gave them my Email address :) I hope they write ! I told them about EBN and rescue etc etc etc

I told everyone I talked to about EBN, but no one acted like they 'hung out here' so I guess I didnt find Blue :*(

we got home and Hershey didnt want to walk at all, I think his leg was really bothering him pretty bad. I think Dottie will babysit him next week here at the house and I'll take Ms. Gizmo to Bullyfest. and I'm gonna definately stand out at Bullyfest, make a sign or something, cause there were SOOOOOOOOOO many people and dogs, in a pretty tight area :( Bullyfest, there is more of an open area, so if Gizmo starts getting ancy I'll be able to get her out to her own little area.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
@RaRett @Deestar
Got there at 1. Were walking in circles looking for Gizmo and Hershey. I kept saying their names hoping you'd overhear me and say something..lol..

We were standing near the water bowls when the raffle was going on (Blue refused to drink ouf of any of them). Kept looking around for someone from EBN but nada.

There was another puppy there, a six month old girl who Blue played with for a bit. She was adorable. I took some pics and will start a thread tomorrow. Will tag you guys if you'd like.

OH OH, and apparently (and I heard this for 2 ladies that we became very friendly with), we were "discussed" at the event. Some people thought it was a terrible idea to bring a puppy there. WTF?? he's had all his shots, even bordetella and I can't think of a better way to socialize a puppy. Hell, I definitely don't want a "pink tutu" issue in the future.

Oh and the tutu girl was a big issue in the off leash area. We were there when she got into a scuffle with another dog. Then later she went after Blue but that ended before it started. Yeah, handful for sure.

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
Ohhhh I'm a slacker. I forgot to check on here before I went to figure out a meet up with everyone. I did meet up with [MENTION=2415]AdventuresWithOliver[/MENTION] and [MENTION=2251]NJBullyMommy[/MENTION] ... In fact [MENTION=2415]AdventuresWithOliver[/MENTION] shared some pics on the following thread. I am hoping to make it to HeaventSent's Bully Bash next week, that's a bit farther for me but I've worked more with that organization.

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/showthread.php?p=333084#post333084

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OP
RaRett

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
@RaRett @Deestar

OH OH, and apparently (and I heard this for 2 ladies that we became very friendly with), we were "discussed" at the event. Some people thought it was a terrible idea to bring a puppy there. WTF?? he's had all his shots, even bordetella and I can't think of a better way to socialize a puppy. Hell, I definitely don't want a "pink tutu" issue in the future.

Oh and the tutu girl was a big issue in the off leash area. We were there when she got into a scuffle with another dog. Then later she went after Blue but that ended before it started. Yeah, handful for sure.

I think I can tell you why a puppy was the talk there. It happens at every rescue benefit we've been too. There are some 'Rescue Snobs' that 'OMG! a puppy! you MUST of gotten him/her from a Puppy Miller or a Back Yard Breeder! OH for SHAME ! you should of fostered a dog in need, or adopted a dog in need' those folks tend to overlook a simple fact, you are a bulldog lover, *AND* you have come out to support the Breed, AND the Rescue (with your donations) - I have seen some where, that its said -

Adopt a dog in need, if you can't adopt ...
Foster a dog in need, if you can't foster ...
Transport a dog in need, if you can't foster ...
Volunteer for the rescue for other jobs ... if you can't Volunteer,
Donate to the rescues ... if you are unable to donate ...
Spread the word about rescues !

You see, we each do what we can, some of us do a little more, some do a little less, but ANYTHING helps, I have choosen to go to CAFEPRESS and ordered about 10 tee shirts from different rescues (they get a portion of the sale) AND I'm a 6'4" walking BULLY-TIN-BOARD for Rescues. No we didnt get Gizmo or Hershey via conventional rescue organizations, we stepped in before they went to the rescues.

So dont worry about the whispers, I'll guarantee that most of those dogs there were purchased as a puppy.

I had to laugh, there was a guy when asked the age of his dog 'He is 9 months, he's a Miniature' I advised the couple that followed us from the rest stop off the turnpike, that 'There isn't such a breed as a miniature English bulldog, and to stay away from the Rare colors, as they are breed not for health but for their colors only' I should of taken a picture, because his 'Miniature at 9 months was at least 6 inches in the shoulders taller than Hershey, who is 14 months old! (but I was nice . . . for once) and if you looked at the dogs face, it had more of a boston terrier look to it for lack of better works to describe it.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
[MENTION=4706]RaRett[/MENTION] Thanks, I get it now.
And here I thought they were more concerned for the well being of a puppy at the event. The fact that Blue isn't a rescue didn't even cross my mind. Wow, just wow. That would also explain all the questions I was asked about where I got him, how I chose his breeder etc.

Oh well, it is what it is and I don't believe I need to explain our decision to anyone.

I will continue to donate and support a few local organizations (by local I mean NY/NJ), and the auctions held here on EBN. Too bad the rescues don't realize, or maybe they just don't care, how that attitude can turn off so many potentional donators... :(

Deestar

Mar 2, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
The people who volunteer at the Rescues are a Godsend. It's true though that some of them have an attitude that can turn people off. There was a bully in my area that got loose from its house a few weeks ago. It turned into a Facebook war because the Rescue person posted very uncomplimentary things about the bully owner on FB and even made it difficult for the owner to get their dog back. I think what they do is phenomenal but you really don't want to air out an issue on the internet or treat the owners like they're criminals. They didn't abandon or abuse their dog. He just got loose.

On Saturday a few people asked me if Lucy was a rescue. I didn't feel bad that she's not. I felt good that all kinds of peeps were there supporting the cause.

OP
RaRett

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
@RaRett Thanks, I get it now.
And here I thought they were more concerned for the well being of a puppy at the event. The fact that Blue isn't a rescue didn't even cross my mind. Wow, just wow. That would also explain all the questions I was asked about where I got him, how I chose his breeder etc.

Oh well, it is what it is and I don't believe I need to explain our decision to anyone.

I will continue to donate and support a few local organizations (by local I mean NY/NJ), and the auctions held here on EBN. Too bad the rescues don't realize, or maybe they just don't care, how that attitude can turn off so many potentional donators... :(

Oh please understand, its NOT everyone involved rescue that has that type of attitude, but there are some that do, I'd never lump 'everyone' into any particular group. What people do in rescues are unbelievable, and most of them have true hearts for the animals they rescue, however, there are some . . . . as in any group. You heard the whispers of a few people, did you hear the whispers of everyone? no :) I just wanted to explain, why some folks were doing what they did.

Now I will admit, it also goes the opposite way, the 1st HeavenSent Fund Raiser we went too, a Breeder wore a Jacket
'Bob's Bulldogs Breeding, Anytown NJ, 555-1212' had business cards in hand, *AND* an 10-12 week old puppy in his arms. This to me is UNacceptable, trying to sell puppies / advertise your puppies at a rescue fundraiser.

OP
RaRett

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
@RaRett did you meet anyone from Bumper Rescue while you were there?

no Pete :( I truely didnt meet anyone, as my hands were full, with Gizmo acting skittish, and we were spending alot of time with the couple that followed us from the rest stop, I gave her my email, I hope she drops me a line, they were a neat couple. Well, there was one Lady who loved Gizmo's Kisses and she found us on facebook and messaged me last night :) That is why THIS weekend its going to be different, there is alot more area where HeavenSent has their Bullyfest, so the pups have alot more room, and if Gizmo starts to act skittish, I can step back a bit for her, and introduce her, more one on one. I think she was over stimulated, but she truely LOVES people...cause she can be the center of attention :) Its alot closer for us too, so I think I'll convince Dottie to come along, Hershey will be fine in his Xpen for a few hours, heck he sleeps all day when I'm sleeping for work :)

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
no Pete :( I truely didnt meet anyone, as my hands were full, with Gizmo acting skittish, and we were spending alot of time with the couple that followed us from the rest stop, I gave her my email, I hope she drops me a line, they were a neat couple. Well, there was one Lady who loved Gizmo's Kisses and she found us on facebook and messaged me last night :) That is why THIS weekend its going to be different, there is alot more area where HeavenSent has their Bullyfest, so the pups have alot more room, and if Gizmo starts to act skittish, I can step back a bit for her, and introduce her, more one on one. I think she was over stimulated, but she truely LOVES people...cause she can be the center of attention :) Its alot closer for us too, so I think I'll convince Dottie to come along, Hershey will be fine in his Xpen for a few hours, heck he sleeps all day when I'm sleeping for work :)

Cool, can't wait to actually meet you in person :-)

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Oh please understand, its NOT everyone involved rescue that has that type of attitude, but there are some that do, I'd never lump 'everyone' into any particular group. What people do in rescues are unbelievable, and most of them have true hearts for the animals they rescue, however, there are some . . . . as in any group. You heard the whispers of a few people, did you hear the whispers of everyone? no :) I just wanted to explain, why some folks were doing what they did.

Now I will admit, it also goes the opposite way, the 1st HeavenSent Fund Raiser we went too, a Breeder wore a Jacket
'Bob's Bulldogs Breeding, Anytown NJ, 555-1212' had business cards in hand, *AND* an 10-12 week old puppy in his arms. This to me is UNacceptable, trying to sell puppies / advertise your puppies at a rescue fundraiser.

Oh yeah, I know it's not everyone. But it's usually the nasty ones who are the loudest so that's all you remember.

But yeah, a breeder with tiny puppy??? Wow, amazed they didn't kick him out.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.