Bringing puppies to Bulldog meets?

Louie89

Aug 10, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Louie
I was wondering if it was safe to bring my 9 week old puppy to a meet? He's had his second set of shots and I have been walking him outside along trails by my school but never at doggy parks until he's had his 3rd set of shots just because you never know if someone is walking a sick dog.. I've read around and most of the comments jump from "Its ok to walk a puppy and have him interact with others dogs after 2nd set of shots" others say after 3rd set.. In my opinion i think its better to have a puppy interact with as many things, places, and animals as possible so he wont have such a hard time adjusting to new things later on.. kinda like a "been there done that" thing.. with that said, this weekend there's going to be a bulldog meet in my area and im hoping to take my Louie so he can be seen by other Bulldog owners and be critique.. his eyes have been kinda red lately and i was hoping to ask some Bulldog owners if they've had that with there Bulldog in person.. also ask them little things like what they feed their pup, what vet they go to, and just all around tips.. and also so Louie could socialize.. do you guys think this is a good idea? Me taking him with me to the meet? :pouting:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
My vet told me..NO Walking or parks until the final series of shots! I wouldn't take a nine week old puppy on any trails or anywhere where dogs and wildlife are. :nope:

I know you want to socialize him..but honestly..he has plenty of time..and he shouldnt be anywhere out of his protected yard until after his last series of shots. It's an unnecessary risk.

Last edited:
OP
L

Louie89

Aug 10, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Louie
got'cha. He does knock out pretty good after i take him for short walks but in the end it is safer just to hold off on the walks for a bit more.. I'll just have to tire him out by playing with him in the yard :excited:

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
My vet told me after the second set you are ok and he gave me a flyer on local socialization classes. I wouldnt hang out at dog park but if you are meeting up with people you know and their pets have had their shots I wouldnt be to concerned.

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
My vet told me..NO Walking or parks until the final series of shots! I wouldn't take a nine week old puppy on any trails or anywhere where dogs and wildlife are. :nope:

I know you want to socialize him..but honestly..he has plenty of time..and he shouldnt be anywhere out of his protected yard until after his last series of shots. It's an unnecessary risk.

I totally agree! There will be more Bulldog meets and plenty more opportunities to socialize your baby.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
It's not the people you know that are of a concern! It's that you don't know whose been there before you and there is exposure even in your own unprotected yard. My vet forbids even trips to Petco where a ride in the cart is even not safe. I guess I'd think like this.. If its "safe" after 2nd series of shots...why have 3rd series?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
2nd set is OK for starting interactions/socialization

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] I agree you can start socializing after second set because my vets office has socialization meets every saturday and they say from 9 weeks on it is safe.

If you want to play it safe wait tell the 3rd shot if that will give you a piece of mind.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I was always told wait until the third shot ............. and I say why risk it ....... I would wait. :)

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
You can always still go and take lots of PICTURES! You can still interact with other bully owners and ask your questions.

OP
L

Louie89

Aug 10, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Louie
I think I'll just wait and take him next time there's a meet.. I have socialized him with a few dogs that I know are well kept and he's done wonderful with them! The few walks that I have taken him on he's loved and he comes back home pooped out lol he knocks out pretty much all night :D What are your thoughts on vet's? Should Bulldog owners deal with Vet's that specialize in this breed or would any vet do? I feel kind of iffy when a vet says "wow! A bulldog! I don't usually see these in my office!" -___-

Last edited by a moderator:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I think I'll just wait and take him next time there's a meet.. I have socialized him with a few dogs that I know are well kept and he's done wonderful with them! The few walks that I have taken him on he's loved and he comes back home pooped out lol he knocks out pretty much all night :D What are your thoughts on vet's? Should Bulldog owners deal with Vet's that specialize in this breed or would any vet do? I feel kind of iffy when a vet says "wow! A bulldog! I don't usually see these in my office!" -___-

:eek: ya..that would make me wonder too! I really think you need a vet that has Bully experience. They just have too many "special" attributes..:ROFL: and I've heard horror stories about simple things that can cost a Bullys life. My vet doesn't "specialize" in Bullys but she has over 30 Bully's in her practice..and it's a small one vet office. She knows so much about them and never takes a shortcut.

And..I applaud your decision to wait a bit to introduce Louie to te world. I remember how hard it was to wait..and my vet made us wait until he had his first rabies to take him on our local mountain trails..that was painful because Jake and I had to stay home while the rest got to go to the mountains.. That sucked!

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
It's not the people you know that are of a concern! It's that you don't know whose been there before you and there is exposure even in your own unprotected yard. My vet forbids even trips to Petco where a ride in the cart is even not safe. I guess I'd think like this.. If its "safe" after 2nd series of shots...why have 3rd series?

I totally agree on waiting until shots are complete to keep them safe. There are lots of stray animals that carry diseases and to me its just not worth the risk...

lozalop18

Aug 22, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Rusko
I haven't taken my little guy anywhere, hes almost 4 months. I did a lot of research and asked around a lot including several vets. Everyone i spoke too has said "NO taking him anywhere until he is 4 months old and has had all of his shots" So i havent even let him out of the house. im waiting. hes 13 weeks now, so not much time left, but there will be plenty of meets and time to socialize. :) Im taking him to the bully meet in september at the long beach with the rest of the ig bulldogs. i case anyone wants to meet my little guy rusko.

LoveMyBully82

Aug 30, 2011
Houston, Texas, United States
My vet isn't a "bulldog vet" per say, but she works very closely with our local bulldog rescue and she is very knowledgeable. I would definitely find out where the other people in the meetup take their bullies and switch to a vet that comes highly recommended.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.