Breeding Questions / Needed Expert Input

bullieboy

Sep 22, 2011
hey guys i have an almost 3 year old male bulldog and i've collected his semen and am prepared to use it for puppies. this is my first time doing this sort of thing and i would love as much info and schooling on this subject that i can get. my reason for studding my dog out is so i can obtain one of his puppies. that being said i had some questions that i wanted to ask before i even think about starting this whole process.

since i own the male, all i really need to do is supply the semen that is to be artificially inseminated into the female and then hope she takes... but is there any more duties or responsibilities that i will need to do in the pregnancy and birthing process?

this question is more intended for people with experience in breeding.. what kinds of deals should i be looking at between me and the females owner. should i only charge a stud fee?... should i demand a certain amount of puppies that are to be born? should i do first pick of the litter? what are the usual agreements between owners on this subject?

and before anybody says anything.. i will never sell my puppies to people that i don't think is right to own a bulldog. my puppies are forever going to stay out of an animal shelter and pet store and only going to people that can love and care for them. if there isn't even a market for puppies at the moment then i simply won't stud my dog out until there is.. i really want to do this right and the responsible way

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
I have not ever breed a bulldog but my first question is have you picked a female? Have you had both your male and the female health certified. I am not trying to preach here. I believe responsible breeders should continue to breed, BUT I also know there is no pain in the ENTIRE WORLD worse than losing your puppy to some unknown congenital cause. Please take the time and money to do this if you are serious Your vet will be able to help you .Don't just assume that because your male is healthy ,and the bitch is healthy ,that they will not pass issues on to their puppies. I wish someone had done this before having my boy. I still cry every day over losing him. Don't do that to anyone else. You never know what can happen but you can take precautions.

Last edited:
OP
B

bullieboy

Sep 22, 2011
no i have not picked a female yet but when i do i will not pick one until i am sure she is a very healthy female, has a very strong bloodline, and has a lot of the major health problems bred out.. of course it is going to take a lot of question asking and research but my dog deserves puppies of the best quality

i can vouch for my male that not only is he very healthy.. but has yet to have any health issues to this date. in all honesty he was very expensive but he is also a high quality bulldog and my breeder took the time to breed a strong, healthy bulldog breed with this litter of puppies so i am very confident that once i find a suitable female that the puppies will be just as strong and healthy

dozersmama

Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
Yeah that's pretty much what I was afraid of. If you want to do this right why not have the tests? They often do both ofa and cerf test at dog shows at a reduced rate I believe. Did your dogs breeder do these with their dog and show you proof of them? I may be able to understand that as a reason. I will probably be kicked off the forum for this but, you say you want to do it right and are simply relying on the fact that YOUR dog is healthy. You can't assess the potential gentics your dog will pass on by him being healthy "so far". It sounds like you want a puppy cheap but aren't willing to actually do what it takes to better the breed . Any non back yard breeder has these at least and any bitch worth her salt wouldn't be bred to a stud without them.

dozersmama

Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
I am not usually this direct but I think in this case it is warranted.

OP
B

bullieboy

Sep 22, 2011
I have his full vet history with multiple visits and clean bills of health along with his full paperwork, bloodline, and health history of his ancestors.. my dog breeder breeds and shows bulldogs for a living for the last twenty years so I am 100% confident that not only is my dog healthy and going to be healthy for a long time to come.. but the breeder has papers to prove it along with has taken the time and dedication to make sure good health will be ensured with her dogs

But honestly if my dog did need tests to ensure his good health then without a doubt he would be getting them at my expense.. you're failing to understand here that I absolutely, positively want to do this whole process the right way and that includes every minute detail being discussed

Remember my goal here is obtain a puppy from the litter.. so why would I want to give myself let alone other people a puppy handicapped with health risks and a tainted bulldog? Trust me, I will ensure that myself and the future lucky people looking for an amazing dog will get their moneys worth and will get a top bred, well manored, and very healthy puppy. If any of those are at risk of being compromised then I won't stud my dog out until I know all will be well.

Last edited:

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
You can't assess the potential gentics your dog will pass on by him being healthy "so far". It sounds like you want a puppy cheap but aren't willing to actually do what it takes to better the breed . Any non back yard breeder has these at least and any bitch worth her salt wouldn't be bred to a stud without them.

This is a bit judgemental. If he is interested in learning more about what to do and how to do, then adivice is fine without judgement. You imply that he is only interested in a "puppy cheap". EVERYONE has to start out somewhere?

While I do agree that research needs to be done, having a healthy dog so far at 3 years old is off to a pretty good start. Many dogs that have health problems will sow up earlier than 3 years.

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
"Trust me, I will ensure that myself and the future lucky people looking for an amazing dog will get their moneys worth and will get a top bred, well manored, and very healthy puppy."

I hope that what you says is honest. The breeds DOES need to be improved and far TOO many breeders think that EVERYONE OF THEIR PUPS IS A CHANMPION FROM EVERY LITTER. Honestly that is NOT the case and new bloodlines need to be introduced to keep from having inbred and close line breed bulldogs.

There is ABSOLUTLY nothing wrong with wanting to be involved in bulldogs to own, breed, show and even sell.
It is WHAT you do and HOW you do it that will show WHO you are and WHY you are doing this.

OP
B

bullieboy

Sep 22, 2011
i agree with everything that was just mentioned above me.. well said.

anybody else have any input?

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
There is nothing wrong with wanting to get more involved in the breed. As with every other breed, there are those that will try and do it for the money. Look at all of the rescue dogs on this site and hundreds of other site FOR EVERY BREED.

Everytime a story comes out about a puppy mill that has 20-50-100 dogs confiscated, THIS is why getting involved is very risky.

Take your time, learn, research, be honest.

roanne9145

Apr 11, 2010
Palmyra New York
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Apple, Grudge, Chisel and Rukus
Bulldog stud owners usually charge $800.....or 1st pick puppy. The bitch owner pays all shipping of semen and everything else involved in the pregnancy. Sounds like you have a wonderful stud dog and are hoping to learn all there is to learn. That in itself says a lot. Good luck and keep on learning.
Roanne

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
i agree with everything that was just mentioned above me.. well said.

anybody else have any input?

Have you gotten any more feedback or follow-up? Oh btw, some sutds go for $250-$500 for non-CH or non-proven and can go all the way up to $1k or more.

Lots of competetion on a local, regional, national and even international with cooled and frozen available.

OP
B

bullieboy

Sep 22, 2011
No I have not gotten any more feedback or input yet. I still haven't made ads or searched for a female yet.My dog is full ckc registered the whole 9 yards.. he is one of the top breeds around and based upon the championship status of his mother and father.. I am fully confident with saying that. He would win shows if I ever took him to any

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.