What should I ask a breeder about their adult dog?

ArkenWest

Sep 19, 2011
Hello,

My husband and I plan on buying an adult english bulldog from a breeder? In about mid October we plan on moving into a pet friendly apartment (we basically did this so we could get the bully of our dreams(the apartment only allows dogs five months and over)). I have been contacting breeders by email who have put their older breeding females up for sale on their website. But, what should I be asking these people about an adult english. I have read alot of the information about what to ask a breeder about a puppy but what do you ask a breeder about one of their breeding dogs. Also, what is a reasonable price to pay for a breeding dog. Or, better yet, is it even a good idea to get a breeding female dog? This will be our first dog together...I want to do things right. Could you experienced breeders tell me what questions I should be asking breeders about their adult bullies?

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
[MENTION=983]LariP[/MENTION] and [MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION] have a "retired breeder" that is precious. I bet they could give you tons of advice :)

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Our princess is indeed priceless!

You want to ask about health history first and foremost. The prospective bullies temperament, traights, likes and dislikes.

Gracie is very timid. Afraid of sudden movements and loud noises. Part of the reason her breeder retired her early at 3 1/2 rather than the normal almost 5 was because of her "nervous" disposition. She felt she would be happier in a Quiet home where someone was there to give her lots of love and attention all day. I will pm you regarding the price question.

Is it a good idea to get a retired breeder? ABSOLUTELY!

We hope to have HRH with us for many more years, but when we are ready for another bully we will definitely look into making another retired "working girl" a princess!

Last edited:

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Not much help on the questions but I can answer if retired breeders are worth it ... Yes, without a doubt! Bullies are incredible no matter what age.

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello,

Bulldogs are great at any age and male or female.

Not to break any rules so please PM me to discuss what to ask a breeder.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.