Who really made the first lilac bulldog?

mendomama

Aug 28, 2011
Mendocino, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Uni & Boadie
Ok I have been looking at different rare color breeders, cuz I am thinking about getting a lilac boy for my fawn baby girl. But almost every website I find says that they are the first producers of the certified lilac color..... Who do I believe and if they all clam this, then can I trust any thing they say on the website?:nonono:

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I am not crazy about the "rare" colors. They are neat to look at but not in the breed standard. Your picture in your avatar is a cutie though!

NikkiSchoolcraft

Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2010
Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston, Hitch, Layla, Sugar Boo
Im not sure why you are looking at "rare" colors, but please understand that many breeders who breed "out of standard" bullies are also less than reputable. They are often looking to make even more $ on something that is "unusual". A true reputable breeder generally breeds to better the breed and sticks to the standards set for the breed.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Nikki said it well. I think "rare" and "reputable" don't go hand in hand when it comes to breeding bullies. Or if it does, then it's rarer still.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I agree. After reading this post yesterday I googled this "lilac" bulldog. Every site I saw was offering strange colors. Many looked like a bulldog mixed with other breeds. This makes me question not only the true English bulldog papers, but also the temperament of the dogs. Also they seem to want a lot of $$$ for these rate colors. Bullies already come in beautiful colors, and I would be looking for breeders who are trying to keep the breed standard!

Angievelvet

May 28, 2011
california
Bulldog(s) Names
violet elizabeth
I agree with everyone id like to add who knows what kind of health issues the "rare" bullys have. They have enough health issues. So I say stick with a reputable breeder not someone who is claiming to have "rare" full breed English bullys

Sent from my HUAWEI-M860 using Tapatalk

OP
mendomama

mendomama

Aug 28, 2011
Mendocino, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Uni & Boadie
OK. Thanks for all the input everyone. I was wondering how true their clams were. So who are some reputable breeders??? Any suggestions for some in cali. I don't want to ship my puppy and would rather not drive across the country.

OP
mendomama

mendomama

Aug 28, 2011
Mendocino, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Uni & Boadie
I am not crazy about the "rare" colors. They are neat to look at but not in the breed standard. Your picture in your avatar is a cutie though!

Thanks she is a doll! But she is a fawn with with and black makeup. Not a lilac.

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
Ok so I googled this. Some of these dogs are 8500 dollars !!!! These people have lost their minds, buyers and sellers alike! I LOVE bully's but at 8500, I'll get a pug. That's for a not to breed standard dog. You cant show it and if you follow akc standards you should not breed it. YIKES.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
So... here I am again... sticking my neck out.

I am of a different opinion - not too different, but different nonetheless. It comes from owning Ball Pythons that come in such varied colorations that I have 6 of them in different colors to match the room decor. And then I have the African rats that also come in such cute colors that I spent a good year trying to produce a specific color that I really like.

So, in dogs... a dog's color does not an unhealthy dog make. Okay, I was trying to sound cool. Hah! What I'm trying to say is - the color of a dog is not a direct indication of its health nor breeder reputation. I, for one, enjoys specific coloration - like, I got this cool yellow with thin black striped ball python that looks like candy. He's the favorite snake in show and tells because he looks so pretty that people forget their way-too-common-phobia of snakes. And when I was looking for my dog, I specifically chose a bichon frise not only for his temperament but also for his stunning white cotton-like fur. And when I got my very first dog - a German Shepherd - I picked a red one instead of a tan one because it is much better looking. So yes, I'm sure y'all are familiar with this habit of ours of choosing Brindle bullies over white and tan bullies... nothing really wrong with that.

But then - here comes AKC with the "breed standard". Does that mean non-standard colors are bad dogs because AKC won't take them in dog shows? Not necessarily. You can even register a non-standard color if the litter is registered. Yes, the AKC will probably inspect the dog to make sure it is really an english bulldog and not a dalmatian or something...

But, it is very true that a lot of specific dog colors came about by certain levels of line-breeding/in-breeding to produce that particular color. So that, if the initial breed line had hereditary health issues then that health problem can get compounded as they in-breed to achieve a specific coloration. So that, you could possibly end up with the same issue as the White Doberman. But, if you're familiar with the White Doberman history, it is good to note that the AKC registered Padulas Queen Shebah (the first white dobie) because she is a purebreed descended from 2 black-and-rust AKC dobies. The owner and breeder of Shebah decided to line-breed to get another white doberman not knowing the ramifications. It took the AKC about 5 years to finally get the color genetic tested and that's when they found problems with the breed. They found that the extremely reduced melanocytes that produce the white dobie is also the cause for its photosensitivity and other health issues so that a white dobie generally live a shorter lifespan than the other dobie colors and they are generally difficult to keep healthy. So that the Doberman Pinscher Club of America took it upon themselves to take steps to minimize the breeding of white dobies.

This is not the same case with Lilac Bulldogs, though, I don't think. At least, I don't know of any genetic testing done on lilacs that determined that they are genetically inferior to other english bulldog colors. Although, yes, that would also mean, if there are problems with the color, nobody as yet found out about it. But, if I want a lilac bulldog, does that mean I'm a bad mama? Or, if I'm a breeder and I breed lilac bulldogs, does that make me a bad breeder?

Now, if you really think about it and be honest with ourselves, English Bulldogs are almost as problematic as a White Doberman. So, if we are going to say, we are only going to breed dogs that are going to be healthy dogs, then we shouldn't breed English Bulldogs altogether.

Now, about paying 8500 for a specific color... I know of a guy who paid $15,000 for a specific ball python coloration. Now, the interesting thing about that is you can get the standard jungle ball python color for $25! And the ball python don't act any different - I mean, the $15,000 snake still has the same smelly poop, ya know? But, that's really no different than me paying $400 for the yellow/black stipe color... when I can just get the regular color for $25. It's pretty, and it's worth $400 to me. And if I was the ball python breeder and somebody wants to buy my snake for $15,000 why should I say no? I mean, I made sure that the snake is healthy and would be a quality pet, and somebody is willing to pay $15,000 for that specific color (that it took me 6 years to produce), why not? - that $15000 could be the difference between sending my kids to the crappy inner-city public school or getting them quality education somewhere else and hopefully get them out of the gheto. Does that make me greedy?

But, on the same token, breeders of ill-repute wouldn't mind breeding out health-problem-dogs just to get that extra buck out of a rare color... so yeah, it's something to think about. But then, this goes for any color bulldog. One should research a breeder before getting dogs from them...

Okay, just my thoughts on the matter...

Last edited:
OP
mendomama

mendomama

Aug 28, 2011
Mendocino, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Uni & Boadie
Wow! Anatess, That's a mouthful. Thank you. I was feeling a little down after all that negative feed back. I totally agree with you. However I do wonder about the reputations of these breeders, they do all clam the same thing. I also wonder about colors that have not yet made AKC standard. The color has to made and gone around a few times before the AKC will accept it as a new color, right?? So why are all you people so down on the rare colors?? They are unique, however I do agree that the amount of $$$ they are asking is a little insane. But Anatees did make a point, if a specific line takes 6 years to produce and it is some of the first, then why not get what you can for them.....

As for me, I have not yet made up my mind weather lilac is bad or not

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Ohhhh..I'm sorry..I didn't mean to be negative! :nonono: And I'm sure no one else would want you to feel bad! We just were giving opinions..mostly about the people who breed without caring about the standards and most likely care about the $$$$. In the end..it's your decision and I'm certain you will make the right one for you...and after all..it's your :bully: business.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.