Pregnant?!?!

PBandMe

Jul 28, 2011
I recently (3 weeks ago today) purchased a pair of English Bulldogs from my ex brother in law, he was in need of money due to a pending eviction and I will be honest I didnt trust him to pay me back, so he offered to sell me these guys... long story short they are male and female and while I plan to have them spayed and neutered as I dont want to get into breeding, they're visit isn't scheduled until Saturday for pre-op and then their surgery date will be scheduled from there. I do know he had intended to breed, but he told me that the female had not yet gone through her 3rd heat. She is 19 months old (12/27/2009) and I am told her last heat was in December. I noticed when I purchased her she looked a little swollen and figured that she was getting ready to go through heat, hence why I was informed we would have to wait until next week for spaying. I have been vigilant at watching these two when they are together and she has not allowed him to get anywhere within range of that area.
None the less, I was looking at her today and I noticed she looked more round and I am seeing lines in her fur that I have noticed before, perhaps I am just paranoid? I have also noticed that she doesnt seem any less swollen since she has been here, in fact it appears to be more noticeable. Now I am assuming with bulldogs (mind you I have always had males) it would be more evident as they dont have any "coverage" if you will of that area, but I am just curious if she managed to get pregnant prior to me buying her. Obviously I will have a definitive answer when we go to the vet on Saturday but I would love if someone could set my mind at ease (one way or another prior to then)

Angievelvet

May 28, 2011
california
Bulldog(s) Names
violet elizabeth
Oh boy. It could be possible. When I had violets mom my husband and I didn't notice she was in heat till the end of her cycle. I hope she's not and you can go through with the spay and nuetering

Sent from my HUAWEI-M860 using Tapatalk

OP
P

PBandMe

Jul 28, 2011
You and me both. I didnt want to be crude and post a photo of her woman parts, but maybe they are not overly swollen and I am just new to this area of a female bulldog. I assume it would be completely inappropriate to post that though correct? I will be honest I googled to see if I could find a picture of a female bulldog in heat to no avail.

Angievelvet

May 28, 2011
california
Bulldog(s) Names
violet elizabeth
I know Mildred's strawberry was noticeablely bigger. She had a heat in April 2010 then Sept 2010. I did except her to be in heat that soon. But we caught the last week of it.

Sent from my HUAWEI-M860 using Tapatalk

Mack-N-MatildasMommy

Bulldog Spoiler
Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Moore, OK
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda A.K.A Sassy Pants & Mighty Mack A.K.A. Fat Peanut
No, go ahead and post some pics so some people that know like [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] might be able to help you.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Almost all vets and humans cannot tell if a bully is pregnant until 6 weeks gestation-- unless your vet does an ultrasound to confirm. But at six weeks gestation and beyond it will be very noticeable. She may be swollen and having a silent heat. You can check her with a wipe or swab and pit it in about a half inch to see if she is bleeding.

OP
P

PBandMe

Jul 28, 2011
peanut.jpgpeanut 2.jpgAgain I mean no vulgarity by the pics, The 1st is obviously her woman parts, perhaps that is not swollen, just appears very pink and swollen to me. The 2nd is more of her nipple area than her stomach, those dont look to be sagging yet to me. Maybe I am looking too far into this

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
No her woman parts do not look normal at all-- but I would not be ready to say that is pregnscy either. Looks like it is a great thing you are taking her to vet!! It could also be vaginal prolapse, an infection or something. I would call and see if you can get her in as quick as possible. She is not bleeding you say?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I would also bring a urine sample with you to the vet.

OP
P

PBandMe

Jul 28, 2011
No, I have had her 3 weeks and I havent noticed any bleeding. She has been about that swollen since I got her, like I said I assumed it was heat as she is 19 months and I knew she would be going through it sooner than later if she hadnt already

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Her nipples are still very small so I would doubt she is pregnant. I think she has something bad in her girlie part. Keep us posted on what the vet says please!

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Don't know about the girl parts since girl bullies can look very different in that area. My BabyGirl will get very swollen and puffy there when she is in heat. Nipples looked normal to me. Hopefully the vet will be able to see what is going on. If she is pregnant would you let her go thru it?

OP
P

PBandMe

Jul 28, 2011
I called the vet and the earliest they have is tomorrow morning so she will be there! If by chance she was pregnant I would have to go fourth, we would do the c section and I would be a Bully grandma (I'm far to young for the G word though, so let's hope it's not) luckily I suppose, I am a stay at home Mom so I have the time to devote to her and any possible pups but hopefully it's something else and not serious. by the way desertsky, I wiped her this morning and saw no blood or discharge, she didn't seem bothered by me touching her though so it doesnt seem to be causing her any pain, she also doesn't seem to be spending any extra time in cleaning it either.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I am waiting for an update as well. It does look a bit large down there.

Most Reactions