what to do?

trevor

May 2, 2010
ottawa, canada
Bulldog(s) Names
peaches and wessely
i have a bitch who i plan to breed in the fall but i am having a hard time finding a good stud or a good stud service that doesen't make me feel like i will get ripped off or left feeling stupid. i am new to bulldogs but not to breeding,(i bred pit bulls before the ban and my family bred samoyds when i was a kid) i've done my research, i just feel that the private stud owners want too much for too little and the larger kennels want to make it too hard and expensive for anyone to do right.
and if nothing else i want to be known for healthy and long lived animals.
i believe now that my best option would be to bring semen in from europe, but then am i getting the semen i paid for or the guys donkey in the back yard
any thoughts?

Bulldogg

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2010
Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly, Mandy, Jesse, Yuna & Tidus
It is very hard to find a stud service, and even more difficult to find one that will not rip you off. With artificial insemination, this is very easy for them to do.

I would continue to call around locally. Find one that will not only allow you to be present during insemination, but talk to them and get to know them well before you breed.

Breeding any other type of dog is nothing like breeding bullies. NOTHING like it. So it is important that you develop an excellent relationship with a breeder of bulldogs, so they can mentor you through the process. It is so important. So you are at the HARDEST part. Finding a trustworthy, helpful breeder. Do not go with a "stud" for hire. Go with a breeder.

It is very scary anyway, no matter what breeder/stud you choose. Trust is always going to be an issue in the bully world unfortunately, because so many breeders are in it for the dollars and not the bullies.

bustarop

Apr 4, 2010
Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster; Star; Opal
I suggest look into joining your local bulldog club if there is one in your area. As president of our local club, I get many emails from non-members, asking about breeding their bullie. I always suggest coming to a club meeting to network with local breeders. If you've never bred english bulldogs, the right mentor is worth their weight in gold!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I agree with Bustarop, in getting with a club and meet some people with good blood lines. DO NOT get mail order semen from someone you do not know, you may end up with a bunch of sick or pups with health issues. Find someone that you can see the male and check his pedigree. We always want to better the breed and not just breed to be breeding. i have seen people with butt ugly bullies and they are breeding them and hear the horror stories of people who buy them with endless health issues. Please do your homework before you decide.

Mack-N-MatildasMommy

Bulldog Spoiler
Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Moore, OK
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda A.K.A Sassy Pants & Mighty Mack A.K.A. Fat Peanut
I agree with all the above. Matilda already has a possible mate. We just hafta wait until they are 2. 1 1/2 years to go.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Wow, tough one. I do not know anything about breeding but I have to say kudos for coming here and asking around about it. Research is so important and these guys are a little tougher to breed properly so I am glad you are looking for advice!

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello,

Many good posts here. Doing research is the first and hardest part. I use vets to collect and AI. No chance of anyone saying it was NOT the correct stud. I someone is interested in breeding to my dog, I tell them that again, the VEt will collect and ship to THEIR Vet only for AI. Again this way, the proof is at the vets office. A motility and cytology is performed at my vet office and when received at the other vet office, again it is checked.
So no concerns later on down the road. Keep talking to the owners. Try to get to know them personally.

Good Day~

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.