Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
If anyone is interested in the Bulldog standard and what colors are acceptable, along with other wonderful resources, please check out the Bulldog Club of America’s website.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
OP
RandR

RandR

Feb 27, 2021
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
R....
Rare color bulldogs is just what people like to call them but truly they can just be anycolor

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks. Every bulldog color sites I've found do list all the colors you mentioned but say nothing about them being rare colors, so I didn't know what colors are considered rare. I do watch my local craigslist on the regular and have seen listings for lilac tri, chocolate merle, and black and whites. I have noticed the lilac does have light and sometimes greenish or blue eyes. Took forever to figure out what color my adopted girl actually is considered. She's kinda oddly colored with black hairs mixed throughout her entire coat, her ears are completely black, and her tail is outlined with black. She's not tan, but not really red either. Her body hair does have massive gold highlights in the sun. However, her color is what I've commonly seen in bulldogs, just took forever to figure out the correct terminology or what a registry would call her coloring. I'm sure she's AKC registered, she was a breeder mill queen that was grossly overbred. At least 5 c sections I could tell from all the scars, 3 regular and 2 side c sections, probably more, but that's all I can definitely count out of it all. Of course breeder surrenders (especially if not voluntarily) don't hand over the registration papers to the rescues. Would just be nice to know more about her and correct terminology to be able to answer people's questions when asked.
Rare color bulldogs is just what people like to call them but truly they can just be anycolor

OP
RandR

RandR

Feb 27, 2021
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
R....
Is it maybe cause they do extensive health testing?

Yes, for the extensive health testing also for the demand.

Shirley Wigglebutt

Jan 16, 2021
Country
N/A
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A

- - - Updated - - -

So what people are calling "rare" is the designer coat colors?

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
So what people are calling "rare" is the designer coat colors?

Rare “designer” colors are basically any color not in the standard color group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shirley Wigglebutt

Jan 16, 2021
Country
N/A
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
Thanks everyone. I don't consider the designer colors to be rare, so I was confused! For example, the Merle coloring is common, I can't call it rare. A common color isn't a rare color no matter how pretty it is. The prettiest ones I've seen photos of were lilac Merle and chocolate Merle. However what I read on the American bulldog association website, they don't consider a Merle to be purebred because the Merle coloring doesn't exist in purebred, that an outside influence was the cause of the coloring. Doesn't really matter to me, they're all adorable no matter their color or pattern. It's them faces that makes my heart go aweeee!

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks everyone. I don't consider the designer colors to be rare, so I was confused! For example, the Merle coloring is common, I can't call it rare. A common color isn't a rare color no matter how pretty it is. The prettiest ones I've seen photos of were lilac Merle and chocolate Merle. However what I read on the American bulldog association website, they don't consider a Merle to be purebred because the Merle coloring doesn't exist in purebred, that an outside influence was the cause of the coloring. Doesn't really matter to me, they're all adorable no matter their color or pattern. It's them faces that makes my heart go aweeee!

I just saw this photo on a Bulldog page I follow on Facebook so I thought I would share for you. Merle bulldogs are more likely to have health issues.

Bulldog2.jpg

Shirley Wigglebutt

Jan 16, 2021
Country
N/A
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
I just saw this photo on a Bulldog page I follow on Facebook so I thought I would share for you. Merle bulldogs are more likely to have health issues.

View attachment 120640

I saw that also when recommended to go to the american bulldog association. Maybe whatever was mixed into the purebred also gave the health issue dynamics....

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.